• VMI GAME THREAD

#38101  by Dins&Heels
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 pm
Like clockwork, you can always expect this team to get flustered and lose their confidence. Loved the lineup CBR used today but have to agree about the questionable coaching toward the end.
apaladin liked this
 #38102  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 pm
Arguably the easiest path we have ever had to the finals yet we can’t get past the first game. Just pitiful. This whole season was disappointing. Again its hard to take when you think you are good and reality sinks in that you are mediocre.
 #38104  by Fuonetime
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 pm
Yikes. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. What happened? Some sloppy passes, some easy inside buckets for them early in the game, we slowed down too much late in the game. Gurley was sensational. Pugh showed he deserved some playing time. Bothwell made some big drives to the basket. Hunter made some big buckets. Mounce had a good overall game. However, very disappointing. I am afraid we want see many seasons where we are pre season favorites. Team played their hearts out. Sad for them and the coaching staff. Maybe next year? Coach is very positive on new recruits. Lots of good things to remember about team. We will git her done sometime, hopefully soon.
Go Paladins!
 #38105  by dins13
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:22 pm
Playing not to lose = playing not to win.

Dribble out from under the basket when you have 2 on 1 after breaking a press in order to kill clock?

This is on BR.

Terrible approach down the stretch.
apaladin liked this
 #38107  by fufanatic
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:26 pm
Up 13 with 6:12 to go. Up 10 with 3:18 left. You could play that final 6 minutes 100 times and Furman wins 99 of them. One basket down the stretch and it’s over. Simply a stunning collapse. Team should be the clear favorites next year assuming everyone comes back and no major injuries, but we couldn’t have asked for a better path to the finals and we just choked it away.
dornb, purplehorse, Fuonetime and 1 others liked this
 #38108  by dins13
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:28 pm
Yep. Mercer cleared the way for us. Coaching staff told the players to quit playing with 3 minutes left. Got out of rhythm, got out of the flow, couldn’t kick it back into gear.

That coaching was on par with Fredi G of the Braves leaving Kimbrel in the ‘Pen while lesser relievers blew the 2013 NLDS.

Pitiful.
 #38109  by fufanatic
I love BR and think he has a bright future but he’s not getting a P5 job without a conference title. Or at least a title game appearance. Just gotta hope he doesn’t pull a Niko and take some mildly better job. I don’t think he will with the team he should have coming back though. A lot to learn from this year and tonight.
 #38110  by apaladin
Didn’t score the last 3:18 of regulation. I think of all the years which is a lot that I’ve been watching FU I can only remember winning on a last second shot one time snd that was a long time ago, and don’t even remember the game. If the rolls are reversed whats the chances of the other team not even getting off a shot?
 #38111  by fufanatic
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:29 pm
dins13 wrote:
Yep. Mercer cleared the way for us. Coaching staff told the players to quit playing with 3 minutes left. Got out of rhythm, got out of the flow, couldn’t kick it back into gear.

That coaching was on par with Fredi G of the Braves leaving Kimbrel in the ‘Pen while lesser relievers blew the 2013 NLDS.

Pitiful.
Why would you bring up that Braves game!? Lol. Being a Furman, Braves and Panthers fan is so painful.
dins13 liked this
 #38113  by purplehorse
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 pm
Getting outscored 10-0 at the end of regulation was ridiculous. VMI hit two 3’s in that run where if we get the rebound we win. Until the last 5 minutes we had played a good game. I think this game literally sums up our season-INCONSISTENCY. I hate to see Mounce go out this way. What a horrific loss. A very disappointing end to a disappointing season. We did not win many big games this year.
 #38114  by Paladin91
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:37 pm
I think BR is a really good coach, but he has shown in the last couple of games that he really has issues closing out opponents. I feel really bad for the team because I think they win this easily had they kept the pedal to the metal, at least by 6-8 pts, if not more. Feel really bad for Clay who played a good game and deserved to see an NCAA tournament.
 #38115  by purplehorse
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:26 pm
Up 13 with 6:12 to go. Up 10 with 3:18 left. You could play that final 6 minutes 100 times and Furman wins 99 of them. One basket down the stretch and it’s over. Simply a stunning collapse. Team should be the clear favorites next year assuming everyone comes back and no major injuries, but we couldn’t have asked for a better path to the finals and we just choked it away.
A clear favorite? I don’t see it.
 #38117  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:39 pm
turns out Slaw's missed FT was the difference. Dins had 80 around 3 min mark. Never scored again.

Why Push was in late in the game beyond me.

Running clock awful.

Based on this year's result, all can agree end of game management is poor.

And that, my fellow Dins Fans, is how you go 41 years not going to the Dance.

Hope there are some good books for coaches to read up on during off season on that

Just another Sat as a Dins Fan

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.