• New future opponents

#37930  by Mr. Taggart
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:50 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:01 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm
I preferred them when they were the Converse All-Stars.

I find it strange that the men's teams are also the Valkyries, since the Valkyries were Oden's handmaidens.
Well, if we're going to criticize or question the use of that name as their mascot or team name, then I expect there are numerous male-gender names of mascots or team names that we could criticize or question. Where shall we start? Actually, I am saying: quit being sexist.
Lighten up, Francis.
FUBeAR liked this
 #37932  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:26 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:21 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:34 am
Yes I think we were just joking around, but we shouldn’t disrespect these guys. When I was in school we sometimes played an NAIA school from Spartanburg. A DII team from Chattanooga had recently joined the SoCon. And a Baptist school in Birmingham was playing DIII. USC-Coastal had recently become a four year school. The idea of someday sweating a game against Samford would have been laughable. Hopefully the idea of sweating a game against Erskine will stay laughable. At least by the time they catch up to us I’ll be too senile to follow the score.
Is our outlook on playing Erskine, Limestone, Newberry, Point, Mars Hill, etc., much different from the outlook of fans of certain schools like UofSC, Clemson, etc., when they play us?
Not really answering your question, or maybe it is.

Erskine would be about 3-7 (right now) if they played in a Georgia High School Assn 7-A Region in Metro ATL.

There are over 150 FCS Players on NFL rosters.

There are about 1/3 that many D2 Players on NFL Rosters...and I would wager many, perhaps, most of those did not begin their college careers at D2.

There are also about 2x more D2 Teams than FCS ‘Counter’ Teams (the only ones who FBS Teams will play).

So...while ignorant P5 fans may have that same outlook, they are wrong.

Also...Wofford may want to look Due West and make a trade. There are 19 DLmen on Erskine’s roster.
 #37939  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:37 pm
Seems like a good explanation.
Not sure I know who Counter teams would be and how a team gets defined as such by FBS schools who may decide to play them.
 #37942  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:37 pm
Seems like a good explanation.
Not sure I know who Counter teams would be and how a team gets defined as such by FBS schools who may decide to play them.
Bowl eligibility requirements (all those 98% of FBS Teams that have 0 shot at winning a National Championship care about)...

“No more than one win against an FCS team may count toward that win total, and only if the FCS team has awarded at least 90% of the scholarships that FCS rules allowed it to award over the last two years.[3] (Currently, that means that wins against Ivy League, Georgetown, Pioneer Football League, and some Northeast Conference teams and do not count.) The requirement that the FCS team must have awarded 90% of its allowed scholarships may be waived if a "unique or catastrophic situation" prevented the FCS team from meeting that requirement”

So...only about 100 FCS schools are ever scheduled by FBS Teams...and those other 20+ that don’t “count,” despite a few of the Ivies’ bluster, are lower echelon FCS Teams.

So...maybe if you took D2...picked an All-Star Team from every 2 Teams (so you improve the talent quality & reduce the number of Teams)...and then cut off the bottom 20% of those “kinda-sorta All-Star Teams...to get less diluted talent on about 60 D2 kinda-sorta All-Star Teams and those Teams played against FCS Teams...then we would have an apples-to-apples comparison of the quality of D2 vs. FCS as to the current quality of FCS vs. FBS (Alabama, notwithstanding...even though Coach Saban is a huge supporter of FBS vs. FCS games...for all the right reasons...despite what B1G idiot fans say).