• Game on? Weather

#3770  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:16 pm
This week - unfortunately - I think this deserves its own topic. Looks like the storm is headed north but I hope everyone stays safe.

Is our game definitely a go? I sure hope so from a selfish standpoint but I don't want any danger to anyone. Appears it should just be rain here.

Anyone hear anything? Couldn't Colgate just fly in Thursday perhaps ?
 #3777  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:01 pm
Colgate can fly whenever they want. They won't be flying thru the storm. They will be flying over/around the storm. It very well could rain Saturday or it may not. Whatever we get it should not be enough to cancel the game.
 #3782  by MNORM
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:51 pm
Having worked for an airline (in a previous life) that did a lot of sports charters, I can tell you that there are a lot of moving parts involved in Colgate getting down here to play, and changing those plans isn't as easy as one may think. If Colgate was already planning on flying in on Friday and leaving Saturday, directly after the game, a move to a Friday night kickoff may be logistically possible. Colgate could drive to Syracuse Friday morning, fly to GSP, play a game in the early evening (~6:00pm), and immediately fly back. This is assuming that the aircraft scheduled to fly them down isn't scheduled to do some other charter Friday afternoon...and that busses are readily available both for GSP and SYR. Again...lots of moving parts. Airline scheduling is extremely complicated and one change can create a ripple effect with aircraft and crew availability. A hurricane displacing both aircraft and crew throughout the East coast doesn't help matters. My hope is that they are using a dedicated or mostly charter outfit (e.g. Xtra, Sun Country, Eastern) that would have more flexibility.
...my fingers are crossed that we get this game in.
 #3784  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 pm
Just listened to channel 4 weather and now they are saying it could come toward us, subject to change tomorrow. Even if it does come this way the effects will be felt Sunday evening/Monday morning. Forecast right now is 30% chance of a shower, on Saturday so unless we overreact, the game should be played. All of this is subject to change and prolly will.
 #3787  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:25 am
I have no personal knowledge of this, but I expect it is monumentally difficult to reschedule a football game. This is not like baseball where you can just play two tomorrow.

I expect they will make every effort to play the game. If the upstate isn't expecting catastrophic flooding and Paladin Stadium will hold, I imagine they'll play.

Again, Furman/SCSU played through the remnant of Hurricane Joaquin (I think) three or four years ago. My recollection is Nikki Haley had sent out the word for everyone to stay home. We still played.
 #3790  by gman
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:45 am
As it stands now, Saturday might just be a sunny day. It looks like Sunday through Tuesday will be rainy and windy. However, it would not surprise me if the storm moves southwest into Florida, with us getting nothing. To be on the safe side though, the game might be pushed up to Friday evening.
 #3792  by gman
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:25 am
I have no personal knowledge of this, but I expect it is monumentally difficult to reschedule a football game. This is not like baseball where you can just play two tomorrow.

I expect they will make every effort to play the game. If the upstate isn't expecting catastrophic flooding and Paladin Stadium will hold, I imagine they'll play.

Again, Furman/SCSU played through the remnant of Hurricane Joaquin (I think) three or four years ago. My recollection is Nikki Haley had sent out the word for everyone to stay home. We still played.
The SC State game was played in 2015. The official attendance was 1022. There might have been 300 butts in the seats. I remember the big flood hit Columbia that weekend. The moisture was not directly from Joaquin, but was from a system that was stalled due to the hurricane. Joaquin stayed well east of the coast.