• New future opponents

#37775  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:00 am
Erskine.
Headline said after 70 years they’re playing FB again.
Did not read article.
And I think Limestone also is playing again?
 #37782  by cavedweller2
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:25 am
Hopefully Converse will get a team and we can have a road game over there.
FUBeAR liked this
 #37785  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:56 am
affirm wrote:
Erskine.
Did not read article.
Limestone has been playing for about 5 years.

The Flying Fleet is 1-0 after a 70 year hiatus. Both are DII. Erskine plays at Greenwood HS which is a way better facility than they could ever have on their own. I’ll go to some games because one of my favorite little boys from rec league is on the team.
 #37788  by Flagman
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:18 am
Someone's gong to read the title of this thread and think they'll see a serious discussion.
apaladin liked this
 #37804  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:32 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Had a couple of Night Games with Converse during my FU days. Some of those Valkyries go hard!
 #37807  by Mr. Taggart
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm
I preferred them when they were the Converse All-Stars.

I find it strange that the men's teams are also the Valkyries, since the Valkyries were Oden's handmaidens.
 #37812  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:56 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
Erskine.
Did not read article.

The Flying Fleet is 1-0 after a 70 year hiatus. Both are DII. Erskine plays at Greenwood HS which is a way better facility than they could ever have on their own. I’ll go to some games because one of my favorite little boys from rec league is on the team.
Certainly we could get either of those 2 teams easier than Point. And we have NEVER played the Newberry Wolves since they became the Wolves in 2010, instead of the so-called "hostile and abusive" Indians, have we?
Those are 3 nearby schools we could try to schedule when we need to schedule a DII school.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #37813  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:01 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm
I preferred them when they were the Converse All-Stars.

I find it strange that the men's teams are also the Valkyries, since the Valkyries were Oden's handmaidens.
Well, if we're going to criticize or question the use of that name as their mascot or team name, then I expect there are numerous male-gender names of mascots or team names that we could criticize or question. Where shall we start? Actually, I am saying: quit being sexist.
 #37826  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:30 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
Erskine.
Did not read article.

Certainly we could get either of those 2 teams easier than Point. And we have NEVER played the Newberry Wolves since they became the Wolves in 2010, instead of the so-called "hostile and abusive" Indians, have we?
Those are 3 nearby schools we could try to schedule when we need to schedule a DII school.
We CANNOT AFFORD to schedule D-2 ganes if we want to make the playoffs. They do not count. May as well practice. Say we go 7-4 and are on the bubble. We will be 6-4 and out if one of the wins is a D2.
Davemeister liked this
 #37844  by Davemeister
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:47 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:32 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Had a couple of Night Games with Converse during my FU days. Some of those Valkyries go hard!

Bet the Valks drew lots of penalties for Backfield -In-Motion and Illegal-Use-Of Hands.
FUBeAR liked this
 #37897  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Of course we still need 2 games for 2022 and 2 games for 2024 so a D2 could wind up on the schedule. Hope not.
 #37907  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:30 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
Erskine.
Did not read article.

We CANNOT AFFORD to schedule D-2 ganes if we want to make the playoffs. They do not count. May as well practice. Say we go 7-4 and are on the bubble. We will be 6-4 and out if one of the wins is a D2.
I agree with you.
My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek and sarcasm.
Nothing against those schools and their players though.
And if we MUST play a D-2, it should be one close-by instead of one from 232 miles away.
 #37914  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:34 am
Yes I think we were just joking around, but we shouldn’t disrespect these guys. When I was in school we sometimes played an NAIA school from Spartanburg. A DII team from Chattanooga had recently joined the SoCon. And a Baptist school in Birmingham was playing DIII. USC-Coastal had recently become a four year school. The idea of someday sweating a game against Samford would have been laughable. Hopefully the idea of sweating a game against Erskine will stay laughable. At least by the time they catch up to us I’ll be too senile to follow the score.
 #37919  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Yes I think we were just joking around, but we shouldn’t disrespect these guys. When I was in school we sometimes played an NAIA school from Spartanburg. A DII team from Chattanooga had recently joined the SoCon. And a Baptist school in Birmingham was playing DIII. USC-Coastal had recently become a four year school. The idea of someday sweating a game against Samford would have been laughable. Hopefully the idea of sweating a game against Erskine will stay laughable. At least by the time they catch up to us I’ll be too senile to follow the score.
FUBeAR watched a good bit of the Erskine Flying Fleet @ the Barton (formerly Atlantic Christian) College Bulldogs game last week. Debut game for both new programs. Fun - watch it on YouTube - you will never complain about a SoCon ESPN3 Broadcast again! Flying Fleet won a nail-biter 30-28. Those guys can throw it around a little bit.

BTW - when I spoke to the Student Athletes @ Erskine College about 10-12 years ago, their AD (see bio excerpt below) told me they WOULD have Football there in the future. Kinda fun seeing that dream become a reality. GO FLEET!

Mark Peeler enters his 17th year as the leader of the Flying Fleet Athletics program. He has been on staff the past twenty-one years, serving 19 years as the head men's basketball coach. Peeler has directed an incredible transformation of the Flying Fleet athletics program. Erskine has increased the number of student-athletes since 2000 by 80% and seen record-breaking fundraising totals. The Fleet participated in 10 intercollegiate NCAA Division II sports in 2004 but compete in 24 programs in 2019-20. Erskine athletics teams have seen unprecedented success in NCAA Division II under Peeler's watch. Erskine has won 20 Conference Carolinas championships, participated in 24 NCAA Division II Southeast Regionals, and won two NCCAA National Championships.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Affirm liked this
 #37928  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:21 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Is our outlook on playing Erskine, Limestone, Newberry, Point, Mars Hill, etc., much different from the outlook of fans of certain schools like UofSC, Clemson, etc., when they play us?