• Our SoCon Tourney Road to the Championship

#37714  by Sad Din
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 am
Dins bracket looks a like better IMHO. UNCG bracket has WCU and Chat who have both been hot as well as ETSU

Dins bracket has Sammy VMI and Mercer. Just gotta get by woofy which would be sweet especially if Dins could wipe them off the face of the Asheville court!
DoomedDin1127, QCGlue liked this
 #37739  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:23 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 am
Hard for a team to beat another team 3 times in one year. We are overdue against Wofford. VMI is beatable.
Lets be real our only chance if we can get by VMI is if Mercer beats WC. Hard to believe but VMI will be going for their 3rd win in a row against the Paladins(fb and bskb). Unreal.
 #37755  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:47 pm
Nope it is a game of inches. We could have won last night.

Last year we beat Wofford at Bon Secours and they flipped the script in the tourney. No reason we cannot do that to them.

Beating them last night would have been icing on the cake but the cake is to win the tourney. Despite the ups and downs of the season, I am hopeful. We can still achieve our biggest pre-season goal.
DoomedDin1127, AstroDin liked this
 #37759  by fu77fan
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:05 pm
There is no dominant team.
UNCG - I personally do not think UNCG is any better than Furman, Wofford , ETSU or UTC. Heck , they lost to Western. But , in my opinion, they do have the best player in the conference, Miller , which makes them dangerous.
Wofford pups - good but certainly not unbeatable.
ETSU - like every other team. Can beat or be beaten by any good team on any given night.

My point is , there is no reason we cannot win the tourney.
VMI - revenge
Wofford- revenge on steroids
UNCG - stop Miller

Go Furman!!!
 #37760  by DoomedDin1127
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:11 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:47 pm
Nope it is a game of inches. We could have won last night.

Last year we beat Wofford at Bon Secours and they flipped the script in the tourney. No reason we cannot do that to them.

Beating them last night would have been icing on the cake but the cake is to win the tourney. Despite the ups and downs of the season, I am hopeful. We can still achieve our biggest pre-season goal.
I couldn’t agree more. I think we have a better road in the SoCon tournament too. I’m glad some of us are optimistic in these players.. I wouldn’t wanna start the tournament against Mercer.
 #37761  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:05 pm
There is no dominant team.
UNCG - I personally do not think UNCG is any better than Furman, Wofford , ETSU or UTC. Heck , they lost to Western. But , in my opinion, they do have the best player in the conference, Miller , which makes them dangerous.
Wofford pups - good but certainly not unbeatable.
ETSU - like every other team. Can beat or be beaten by any good team on any given night.

My point is , there is no reason we cannot win the tourney.
VMI - revenge
Wofford- revenge on steroids
UNCG - stop Miller

Go Furman!!!
I think Furman does not do revenge, much less revenge on steroids.
 #37762  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:27 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 am
Hard for a team to beat another team 3 times in one year. We are overdue against Wofford. VMI is beatable.
So what if we’re overdue against WC? Been that way for a long time. Doesn’t matter. Means nothing.
 #37772  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:31 am
I am as disappointed as anyone and especially with another loss to WC. However the task at hand is the same now regardless the outcome of Saturdays game. The path is different but the task is the same so this team has one more chance. Its up to them what they do with it. One good thing is in a normal year not finishing first would have cost us an NIT bid but that is not on the table this year. Saturdays loss would have hurt more if it had been.

FWIW- I hope things are back to normal this time next year as Greenville is set to host the first and second rounds in 2022. I really enjoyed going back in 2017. Hard to blieve its already bern 4 years. :shock:
 #37773  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 am
The Big South tournament is already underway. All games are played at the higher seeds gym. They played their 7-10 and 8-9 games last Friday. The quarterfinals are Monday night, the semis on Thursday night and the final Sunday. I kinda like this as it spreads games out, makes getting a higher seed more important and teams get rest between games. This would have been a perfect year to try this out in the SoCon but of course we’re talking SoCon here. What do you think? Yes or no?
 #37774  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 am
The Big South tournament is already underway. All games are played at the higher seeds gym. They played their 7-10 and 8-9 games last Friday. The quarterfinals are Monday night, the semis on Thursday night and the final Sunday. I kinda like this as it spreads games out, makes getting a higher seed more important and teams get rest between games. This would have been a perfect year to try this out in the SoCon but of course we’re talking SoCon here. What do you think? Yes or no?
The SoCon does not need to go in the direction of smallness by having different tournament sites. Having the games at home team sites is not a tournament. It’s just an extension of the regular season. They should have just canceled the tournament and declared the regular season champion as the auto-bid recipient.
mathprofhiker liked this