• Feb. 27 - VMI

#37743  by FurmAlum
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:49 pm
Didn't watch yesterday's game due to some other obligations. I guess I'm glad I didn't. Checked the stat line and expected a bunch of turnovers but there was only 1.

So far, have watched the replay of the first half, and it wasn't pretty but there were 2 touchdowns. Defense was good.

O.K., so we got beat. So go fix what went wrong and improve. Not the time to throw in the towel.
PalaDad liked this
 #37744  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:16 pm
Agree, with some adjustments we still have a shot at a winnng season or at least break even. Use this spring season as practice and try to improve. and get ready for the fall season,
 #37745  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:49 pm
Didn't watch yesterday's game due to some other obligations. I guess I'm glad I didn't. Checked the stat line and expected a bunch of turnovers but there was only 1.

So far, have watched the replay of the first half, and it wasn't pretty but there were 2 touchdowns. Defense was good.

O.K., so we got beat. So go fix what went wrong and improve. Not the time to throw in the towel.

Furman won the stat line and did a lot of the things that you'd expect us to do to win - held the ball, limited turnovers, decent third down conversion rate, limited the VMI offense most of the day.

VMI was able to get a bunch of pressure and put us routinely behind the sticks. Hard to play that way for four quarters and expect to win.

Oh, and we missed an extra point.
 #37746  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:16 pm
Agree, with some adjustments we still have a shot at a winnng season or at least break even. Use this spring season as practice and try to improve. and get ready for the fall season,

I mean, I think you try to go out and win every game, but it does seem like nationally this season is "weird."

Nearly half the top 25 lost yesterday. Very few teams have look objectively "good." North Dakota State lost yesterday. James Madison won, but were tied with Robert Morris at the half and didn't exactly dominate the game at any point.

It's not an excuse, but it doesn't seem like Furman is the only program that's looked shaky.
 #37771  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:19 am
It’s kinda ironic that Center Evan Jumper was the player guest on CCH show last Monday and a new matching football fund raiser was announcec last week and we go lose to VMI. Bad timing.
Affirm liked this
 #37834  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 am
Had the chance to watch the whole game now.

D played GREAT!

VMI ran Cover 0, pretty much all day w/LB’s or Safeties coming if their man didn’t go out at snap. Risky, but effective if you have guys that can cover & guys who REALLY like to blitz. VMI has both.

Could go into a lot of detail here, but Coach Hendrix said it all on his show - gotta make adjustments earlier.

Other than short yardage / goal line, I’m not so such a “we do what we do” guy. More of a “we gonna take whatever you’re willing to give us” guy. Getting the ball on the perimeter, as Coach Hendrix noted, was there because DB’s were turning & running. Don’t need to block ‘em when you can run ‘em off. Middle not there, primarily because the guys covering TE’s & RB’s are jamming the box & coming downhill. That’s why, as Coach noted, we didn’t have a ‘hat’ to block ‘em. You’re down 1 ‘blocking hat’ with the ball carrier & another with the handing-off QB. Option (if QB is legit threat to run) takes away 1 of those free hats. Would like to see how All Go (including any backs) QB Draw would’ve worked as a play (that’s a 6 on 6 game) and also to make them think about their D scheme if QB Draw was effective a few times. I could see some RPO (particularly to TE’s / Wing Retrievers) being effective against that scheme. Don’t think we are doing any RPO stuff now - and it’s ‘expensive’ to Install / Rep. Surely cannot put it in on-the-fly during a game.

OL did get pushed around a little bit (some in PassPro, but more so, just, in general) - perhaps a little too much thinking, perhaps footing issues or both. Not being able to fire off because of loose turf really can affect an OL. Doesn’t really effect DL as much because they can really dig their cleats in pre-snap. OL can’t do that nearly as much. Limits how aggressively you can attack on those ‘grinding’ inside plays - prolly why we saw more zone-blocking outside zone later in game.

Anyway - lots to work on on O - talent is there - INCLUDING @ QB. Expect a very different performance this week & a very different outcome this Sat.
DeepPurple, PalaDad, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #37843  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:42 am
FUBeAR wrote:

D played GREAT!

VMI ran Cover 0, pretty much all day w/LB’s or Safeties coming if their man didn’t go out at snap. Risky, but effective if you have guys that can cover & guys who REALLY like to blitz. VMI has both.

Could go into a lot of detail here, but Coach Hendrix said it all on his show - gotta make adjustments earlier.

Other than short yardage / goal line, I’m not so such a “we do what we do” guy. More of a “we gonna take whatever you’re willing to give us” guy. Getting the ball on the perimeter, as Coach Hendrix noted, was there because DB’s were turning & running. Don’t need to block ‘em when you can run ‘em off. Middle not there, primarily because the guys covering TE’s & RB’s are jamming the box & coming downhill. That’s why, as Coach noted, we didn’t have a ‘hat’ to block ‘em. You’re down 1 ‘blocking hat’ with the ball carrier & another with the handing-off QB. Option (if QB is legit threat to run) takes away 1 of those free hats. Would like to see how All Go (including any backs) QB Draw would’ve worked as a play (that’s a 6 on 6 game) and also to make them think about their D scheme if QB Draw was effective a few times. I could see some RPO (particularly to TE’s / Wing Retrievers) being effective against that scheme. Don’t think we are doing any RPO stuff now - and it’s ‘expensive’ to Install / Rep. Surely cannot put it in on-the-fly during a game.

OL did get pushed around a little bit (some in PassPro, but more so, just, in general) - perhaps a little too much thinking, perhaps footing issues or both. Not being able to fire off because of loose turf really can affect an OL. Doesn’t really effect DL as much because they can really dig their cleats in pre-snap. OL can’t do that nearly as much. Limits how aggressively you can attack on those ‘grinding’ inside plays - prolly why we saw more zone-blocking outside zone later in game.

Anyway - lots to work on on O - talent is there - INCLUDING @ QB. Expect a very different performance this week & a very different outcome this Sat.

I think this is a fair assessment.

My concern, though, with the acknowledgment of not having a "hat" to block guys is that this is the second week in a row we've watched Sisson get pummeled back there (particularly from defensive backs on the blitz). At some point, we need to make an adjustment to make sure that defenders aren't getting free shots at our quarterback.

I'm fine having a package of play action pass plays. At the same time, though, I think we need to have a means of punishing teams that are trying to bring a lot of pressure - draws, screens to the H back or RB, quick throws to the outside. Force them to rethink their decision to blitz.

I think teams realize they have to get us "off schedule." You can't just sit back and take body blows for four quarters. You have to take risks and get our offense behind the sticks.
 #37847  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

D played GREAT!

My concern, though, with the acknowledgment of not having a "hat" to block guys is that this is the second week in a row we've watched Sisson get pummeled back there (particularly from defensive backs on the blitz). At some point, we need to make an adjustment to make sure that defenders aren't getting free shots at our quarterback.

I'm fine having a package of play action pass plays. At the same time, though, I think we need to have a means of punishing teams that are trying to bring a lot of pressure - draws, screens to the H back or RB, quick throws to the outside. Force them to rethink their decision to blitz.

I think teams realize they have to get us "off schedule." You can't just sit back and take body blows for four quarters. You have to take risks and get our offense behind the sticks.
The ‘not enough hats’ comment was referring to running plays.

Blitz pick-up is different. In most cases, enough ‘hats’ are available, but if RB committed to pick-up an Inside LB blitzing - which may be ‘right’ based on scheme & he was to be covered by an OLB, that OLB now blitzes & we don’t have anyone to pick him up - by alignment, they are 7 on 5...then a back stays in to pick-up an Inside LB...and OL has slid left (let’s say) Left OT is there to protect against their R-OLB blitz...but he’s running with our slot guy on that side, so Left OT just squeezes to help Left OG...and their L-OLB comes...we have enough hats...they just are not able to be in the correct place. Sometimes, the QB has to ‘block’ a ‘free-runner’ by evading the charge, throwing the ball quickly or away, or taking off running. The BIG smack on Sat was a CB blitz, which VMI completely disguised. Might need to think about where the QB’s blind side is going to be on those play-actions & slide PassPro accordingly. Holding onto the ball & surviving gives Sisson an A+ on that play - nothing he could do...no pre-snap read at all.

Some scheme & recognition work to do in blitz pick-up. Prolly need to find some additional ways to get ball to perimeter on the ground. Prolly need to put some (legit) QB run threat into this O (as risky as that is). And, yep - draw/screen game needs to develop/expand. As a distant spectator...with no knowledge of the O philosophy, strategy, or tactics, nor how practice time is spent...I would GUESS they might need to spend a bit more ‘capital’ on execution of plays vs. personnel packages, formations, motions. I know that’s Football in 2021, but I do still think that the mens who execute (after the snap) better than the other mens are going to win more Football games.
 #37848  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 am
My concern was that this was the second week in a row Sisson was hit hard from his front side from a blitzing defensive back. I expect that will not be the last time our offense will see that particular approach.

At bottom, when you surrender 9 sacks as a run-first team, something is broken. It's probably an "all of the above" type of answer - QB, RB, OL, coaching staff.

What was strange to me is that we do have some screens built into the playbook. The touchdown to Anderson was a screen pass (though nearly blown up). Last week we saw a long pass play to Peterson on a screen. I think we actually opened the Western Carolina game with a quick-turnaround type pass to Miller out of the backfield. I'm sure we have similar plays cooked up for Bell, who is fast and elusive.

Now, screens are a good bit tougher to execute against man coverage. Perhaps that's why we didn't see many of them Saturday.
bj93 liked this
 #37851  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:59 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

D played GREAT!

Blitz pick-up is different. In most cases, enough ‘hats’ are available, but if RB committed to pick-up an Inside LB blitzing - which may be ‘right’ based on scheme & he was to be covered by an OLB, that OLB now blitzes & we don’t have anyone to pick him up - by alignment, they are 7 on 5...then a back stays in to pick-up an Inside LB...and OL has slid left (let’s say) Left OT is there to protect against their R-OLB blitz...but he’s running with our slot guy on that side, so Left OT just squeezes to help Left OG...and their L-OLB comes...we have enough hats...they just are not able to be in the correct place. Sometimes, the QB has to ‘block’ a ‘free-runner’ by evading the charge, throwing the ball quickly or away, or taking off running. The BIG smack on Sat was a CB blitz, which VMI completely disguised. Might need to think about where the QB’s blind side is going to be on those play-actions & slide PassPro accordingly. Holding onto the ball & surviving gives Sisson an A+ on that play - nothing he could do...no pre-snap read at all.

Some scheme & recognition work to do in blitz pick-up. Prolly need to find some additional ways to get ball to perimeter on the ground. Prolly need to put some (legit) QB run threat into this O (as risky as that is). And, yep - draw/screen game needs to develop/expand. As a distant spectator...with no knowledge of the O philosophy, strategy, or tactics, nor how practice time is spent...I would GUESS they might need to spend a bit more ‘capital’ on execution of plays vs. personnel packages, formations, motions. I know that’s Football in 2021, but I do still think that the mens who execute (after the snap) better than the other mens are going to win more Football games.
I think evading the charge and throwing quickly are a must against a team that is blitzing that much. I’m not sure if we just weren’t running slants and hitches or if he just couldn’t pull the trigger. That shallow crossing route was open a lot, but only exploited a few times. Evasion needs improvement.

The thing about screens is that defenses don’t usually try to jump them for some reason. I think it’s etiquette or something. But that cheating VMI coach was using backyard tactics and probably would have jumped them every time. Those can be 20-30 yd sideways passes and if they don’t have zip they can easily go the other way. I wonder if we were nervous about that.

I’d love a nice, prehistoric reverse pivot pitch 48 with a lead blocker to get outside. That option looking thing was working pretty much every time, but they were gonna eventually figure out that it wasn’t really an option since we pitched every time.

But you are right that execution is key and it comes from reps usually. I kinda wish we could clean out the garage full of formations and plays we might need some day and get really perfect at 15-20. Clemson can run a zillion plays because they don’t need to execute. Everybody can miss their blocks and the playmakers will still score. But we aren’t them.
 #37854  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:07 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

D played GREAT!

I think evading the charge and throwing quickly are a must against a team that is blitzing that much. I’m not sure if we just weren’t running slants and hitches or if he just couldn’t pull the trigger. That shallow crossing route was open a lot, but only exploited a few times. Evasion needs improvement.

The thing about screens is that defenses don’t usually try to jump them for some reason. I think it’s etiquette or something. But that cheating VMI coach was using backyard tactics and probably would have jumped them every time. Those can be 20-30 yd sideways passes and if they don’t have zip they can easily go the other way. I wonder if we were nervous about that.

I’d love a nice, prehistoric reverse pivot pitch 48 with a lead blocker to get outside. That option looking thing was working pretty much every time, but they were gonna eventually figure out that it wasn’t really an option since we pitched every time.

But you are right that execution is key and it comes from reps usually. I kinda wish we could clean out the garage full of formations and plays we might need some day and get really perfect at 15-20. Clemson can run a zillion plays because they don’t need to execute. Everybody can miss their blocks and the playmakers will still score. But we aren’t them.
Shallow Cross, especially from bunch & Mesh (aka ‘Pick’ (but all legal-like)), if you can get any time...can be good man-beaters...especially behind blitzing LB’s & running off remaining DB’s. We went to that...just took a while.
 #37861  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

D played GREAT!

Shallow Cross, especially from bunch & Mesh (aka ‘Pick’ (but all legal-like)), if you can get any time...can be good man-beaters...especially behind blitzing LB’s & running off remaining DB’s. We went to that...just took a while.

sorry for the long quotation but I wanted to thank you all for the dissection above. Very informative - appreciate it !!!

Thanks to FUBeAR, Jackal and Furmanoid !
 #37882  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

D played GREAT!

In the vein of "take what the defense gives you," VMI was having a difficult time covering Deluca on crossing routes in man coverage. We seemed only to go back to that arrangement most frequently on third downs when we needed yards.

I'm not the offensive coordinator, but I'd have just run that play until VMI either proved they could stop it or made an adjustment to force me to do something else.

It's not sexy, but if we were willing to run the fullback at Western Carolina umpteen times in a row, why not run Deluca on crossing routes a bunch of times?
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.