#37723  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:52 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:36 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:06 am
Roundball wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:02 am
I hate losing to Wofford more than any other team. We hate them. They hate us. That is the pure definition of a rivalry. As to last night, it was a high level game that deserved to be on national television. Two great young coaches and staffs coaching their hearts out to lead their teams to victory. Both teams played well in a stressful situation. I thank both teams for delivering a game worthy of high praise. Well done. I have a feeling we will meet again next Sunday. Go Paladins. Beat VMI. Beat Wofford. Beat UNCG. Big Dance!
We may have a great coach (who will soon move on to a bigger job) and great individual players. ... but I have stopped thinking this team is going to the Big Dance. Or if they do get to go on some fluke happening, they will do poorly there.
I quit thinking anything really impressive (regarding wins) is going to happen again in my lifetime from Furman basketball (FB too, for that matter).
Good enough.
I’m starting to think the same thing. If we feel like we have great coaching in FB and Basketball why don’t we seem to improve? There is something holding us back. I’m pretty sure it’s recruiting, and I’m afraid the problem is outside the coaches’ control.
Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't our football classes been nationally ranked in the top 5 for several years running?
 #37724  by Sad Din
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:13 am
IMHO the 4 fouls on Gurley were huge. woofy knew this and scored a couple buckets inside and he couldnt do much fearful of fouling out. U cant blame this one on Gurley. He carried the team on his back last nite. HIs energy level and effort clearly stood out over the Din players.

Coach did not call a TO on the last play. You can see by the tape that FU players didnt even jump for the last winning shot. They were shell shocked. Gurly ran down the court and the others jogged and didnt get there until after the shot. woffy players on the other hand were already back.

There were 7 secs left. Plenty of time to get to half court and call a TO. Hunter got there with 5 secs left. Plenty of time to call a set up play. Probably Bothwell driving to the bucket, You also call a TO to get Slaw back in the game as another rebounder

We have great coaches but SD wonders about end of game management skills
 #37727  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:05 am
Gurleys were another reason why Slawson or Hein should have been in the game on their last possession. Pure and simplr, no excuses. Gurley was greatblast night. After WC player got his own rebound he should have been clobbered and not allowed an uncontested basket. Gurley made one mistake by passively going for the block the block that put him out of position for the rebound. He shouod have blocked out as he had no chsnce for the block. He also over-committed when the WC player got the ball giving him a clear path to the basket instead of staying between him and the basket. Credit WC they had 4 men back on defense. Hunter and Gurley were alone. It was basicalky 2 on 4. Gurley played one of his best games and you could tell he realky wanted it. CBR said in the post game that this team is going to win championships and that it is coming. The big question is when?
 #37769  by FurmAlum
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:37 pm
I haven't been able to post since yesterday. Had to put my heart back in and sow up my chest. Whew!

Gurley was unbelievable. Bothwell, Hunter, and Slaw played good. Mounce was off on his shot yet played well everywhere else. Liked our effort. But the bottom line was we were struggling to get good shots and Woffy was getting layups and low post baskets. That's why they shot a better %.

Yet...we had the lead with 19 secs left. Made up for it with steals and forced turnovers.

The season is not over yet.
apaladin, Roundball, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #37886  by PaladinPower
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:14 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 pm
I know CBR reads this board. I said its time to go back to the original starting lineup and thats what he did tonight,
CBR mixes up the line-up. Paladins win 4 in a row. CBR goes back to original line up and they lose. Thanks apaladin. Sour grapes at this point.
Roundball liked this
 #37890  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:55 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:14 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 pm
I know CBR reads this board. I said its time to go back to the original starting lineup and thats what he did tonight,
CBR mixes up the line-up. Paladins win 4 in a row. CBR goes back to original line up and they lose. Thanks apaladin. Sour grapes at this point.
Yep if he had stayed more with the starters we would have won. Slawson 22 minutes, Kenney 26 minutes. 😳😳😳