• Furman @ Wofford Feb. 27

#37696  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:27 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 pm
At the time out why didnt we switch to a zone? Make them at least make a shot, instead we stay man to man and they drive right to thd basket like they did all night.
I imagine BR was concerned Storm would drive through the zone uncontested - wanted someone on him at all times.
How about a box and one?
 #37697  by Paladin91
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:29 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:23 pm
On their last two possessions, Wofford got an uncontested dunk and a put back . Unacceptable. We did not play good defense on the uncontested dunk. We cannot give them an offensive rebound for an easy put back. Unacceptable. We did not make them hit a difficult shot.
Meanwhile, Gurley hit a 3 point shot to give us the lead , which was a pressure shot.

We find ways to lose against Wofford. Apparently, they have now beat us 24 out of the last 31 in basketball.

Unbelievable. It stinks.
Correct, you shouldn't have so many defensive breakdowns late in a game that leads to free points. Inexcusable. Needs to be fixed. Shouldn't happen this late in the season.
 #37698  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:30 pm
Mounce is mired in an awful 3 point shooting slump. 1-15 the last 4 games. We need him to make some, no a lot in Asheville,
 #37699  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
fu77fan wrote:
On their last two possessions, Wofford got an uncontested dunk and a put back . Unacceptable. We did not play good defense on the uncontested dunk. We cannot give them an offensive rebound for an easy put back. Unacceptable. We did not make them hit a difficult shot.
Meanwhile, Gurley hit a 3 point shot to give us the lead , which was a pressure shot.

We find ways to lose against Wofford. Apparently, they have now beat us 24 out of the last 31 in basketball.

Unbelievable. It stinks.
Correct, you shouldn't have so many defensive breakdowns late in a game that leads to free points. Inexcusable. Needs to be fixed. Shouldn't happen this late in the season.
It goes back to personnel. Why play small in that situation. Should have had Slawson or Hein instaed of Kenney in the game.
 #37702  by Paladin91
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
fu77fan wrote:

Unbelievable. It stinks.
It goes back to personnel. Why play small in that situation. Should have had Slawson or Hein instaed of Kenney in the game.
Agreed. But I'd add that as a team, we are much taller than Wofford. We should be using our height with Gurley and Slawson on almost every play. Guards need to drive to the basket and distribute down low if they can't get it to the big men via a pass. Maybe it's me, but we just seem sluggish moving the ball around.
 #37705  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:10 pm
Agreed we have won very few big conference games. Wofford knows how to win big games. Unfortunately we don’t. I would be scared to death if Wofford had the ball down one with 7 seconds left. They would find a way to win. Can’t believe we needed only a two and took that long shot with 4 seconds left.

Kenney 26 minutes
Slawson 22 minutes

I just do not get that last stat. I wish CBR would explain it. Maybe he was our “secret defensive weapon” on the short Wofford guards.
 #37708  by fu77fan
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 am
The good news is that at least Wofford did not win the regular season championship.
I would rather UNCG have won !!
 #37710  by fu77fan
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:14 am
I have no clue why Kenney has gotten so much playing time recently. He does not shoot particularly well, is not effective on defense due to his size, and is not in for rebounding. If he is in because he hustles, IMHO , that is not enough !!
Does anyone have a possible answer as to why he is getting so much playing time ?
apaladin liked this
 #37711  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:17 am
No clue. He did make one 3 but that was a lucky p*** bank shot. He gets beat off the dribble a lot including the last minute.
I guess CBR decided to give him all the bench minutes for some unknown reason. He had 26 minutes and the rest of the bench had 12. Slawson only had 22 minutes but was much more productive. If you give a point for each rebound, point, assist and a negative for a TO, Slawson had 11 and Kenney had 5 including his lucky 3 point bankshot. 11-2 without the lucky shot.
 #37716  by tim
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:43 am
Kenney didn't make any mistakes on that scoring play. furman inside men stood flat footed.
 #37717  by tim
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:56 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:33 pm
I hope JP Pegues is primed for minutes next year because I have little faith in our guards behind Hunter and Bothwell. We really lack quality there - it's a huge dropoff.
Feeling the loss of Andrew Taylor, pure and simple
 #37718  by Roundball
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:02 am
I hate losing to Wofford more than any other team. We hate them. They hate us. That is the pure definition of a rivalry. As to last night, it was a high level game that deserved to be on national television. Two great young coaches and staffs coaching their hearts out to lead their teams to victory. Both teams played well in a stressful situation. I thank both teams for delivering a game worthy of high praise. Well done. I have a feeling we will meet again next Sunday. Go Paladins. Beat VMI. Beat Wofford. Beat UNCG. Big Dance!
MNORM, DoomedDin1127, QCGlue liked this
 #37720  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:06 am
Roundball wrote:
I hate losing to Wofford more than any other team. We hate them. They hate us. That is the pure definition of a rivalry. As to last night, it was a high level game that deserved to be on national television. Two great young coaches and staffs coaching their hearts out to lead their teams to victory. Both teams played well in a stressful situation. I thank both teams for delivering a game worthy of high praise. Well done. I have a feeling we will meet again next Sunday. Go Paladins. Beat VMI. Beat Wofford. Beat UNCG. Big Dance!
We may have a great coach (who will soon move on to a bigger job) and great individual players. ... but I have stopped thinking this team is going to the Big Dance. Or if they do get to go on some fluke happening, they will do poorly there.
I quit thinking anything really impressive (regarding wins) is going to happen again in my lifetime from Furman basketball (FB too, for that matter).
Good enough.
I am going to try to continue supporting our football & MBB financially to the extent reasonable (along with supporting our other sports) as long as I feel that having football & MBB attracts students whose attendance & involvement benefits Furman & who would be unlikely to attend if Furman did not have football & MBB. It is not just about having anything really impressive (regarding wins) ever happen again from those 2 sports.
Last edited by Affirm on Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
apaladin liked this
 #37722  by Furmanoid
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:36 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:06 am
Roundball wrote:
We may have a great coach (who will soon move on to a bigger job) and great individual players. ... but I have stopped thinking this team is going to the Big Dance. Or if they do get to go on some fluke happening, they will do poorly there.
I quit thinking anything really impressive (regarding wins) is going to happen again in my lifetime from Furman basketball (FB too, for that matter).
Good enough.
I’m starting to think the same thing. If we feel like we have great coaching in FB and Basketball why don’t we seem to improve? There is something holding us back. I’m pretty sure it’s recruiting, and I’m afraid the problem is outside the coaches’ control.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.