• Feb. 27 - VMI

#37556  by gofurman
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:00 pm
Prolly saying the same things in Fargo right now.
I would LOVE to be in Fargo resting on my EIGHT National titles. They are just taking a year off. We need to get a year ON - and actually that NDSU loss makes ours Worse. Maybe it is wide open this year and we just blew it w a miss XP nad fumble snap vs VMI. If that game costs us conf title and playoff that’s gonna hurt. And it may

Or it may not. Maybe that’s our OL vs an average DL? if so it’s a long year - know more next week but it’s not like we lost due to -7 turnovers. They Were ALL OVER us in backfield and we couldn’t get a push w middle of OL.
 #37557  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:15 pm
wait around all week for a nice relaxng and fullfilling 60-0 win vs VMI and this is what u get!

Maybe thats what they thought also
 #37558  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:16 pm
I know the principal coaches are beloved ex Paladins players but this is simply not a well coached football team and the sooner that is realized, the better it will be for the program. Not only are they very weak in the x and o department but they are also not very good judges of talent. The QB is by all accounts an outstanding young man and undoubtedly has a great future ahead of him but it is not necessarily in football. He was very shaky out there all day and does not possess the raw athleticism that good QBs must have nowadays. He was responsible for most of those sacks today and not the O line. He was badly shaken and does not have the ability to avoid the sack nor to get rid of the ball in a timely fashion. The VMI defense took away the FU running game and made the QB beat them. That was good coaching. He was not up to that and the staff did nothing to help him. VMI is a better team than anyone, including the bookies, imagined.
76MrMoto, bj93 liked this
 #37559  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:21 pm
Jasper wrote:
I know the principal coaches are beloved ex Paladins players but this is simply not a well coached football team and the sooner that is realized, the better it will be for the program. Not only are they very weak in the x and o department but they are also not very good judges of talent. The QB is by all accounts an outstanding young man and undoubtedly has a great future ahead of him but it is not necessarily in football. He was very shaky out there all day and does not possess the raw athleticism that good QBs must have nowadays. He was responsible for most of those sacks today and not the O line. He was badly shaken and does not have the ability to avoid the sack nor to get rid of the ball in a timely fashion. The VMI defense took away the FU running game and made the QB beat them. That was good coaching. He was not up to that and the staff did nothing to help him. VMI is a better team than anyone, including the bookies, imagined.
not making excuses, but the field was in pretty bad shape. Both teams played on the same field but wonder if playing on artificial surface for practice had an effect. Plenty of slips and falls.
 #37562  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:39 pm
Please the field was fine. Much better than I thought it would be. Only a few clumps came up.
 #37564  by dornb
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:40 pm
Is it too early to start thinking the missed extra point will hurt us?
It did! :(
 #37565  by Paul C
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:41 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:15 pm
wait around all week for a nice relaxng and fullfilling 60-0 win vs VMI and this is what u get!

Maybe thats what they thought also
This
 #37566  by gofurman
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:48 pm
First. NOT A CUT ON HAMP. PLEASE HEAR THAT. but our qb 2 is ... at Georgia State. Wonder if we had both if we woulda played a few series w Grainger and his feet etc might have given the opposing DC something to think about.

Anyway we can still do it but now have to win out probably. Hate that we lost our “cushion” game at VMI

Funny that Jackal noted our last loss to. VMI under Fowler and said ‘how far we have come’... jk. We are better but that wa one of worst days
 #37570  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 pm
The only consolation I can think of is that Wofford lost today. I don’t believe our final destiny was decided today.

After the Austin-Peay game and this one today I am not certain we are a top 10 team and maybe not even a top 20 team.
 #37574  by Furmanoid
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 pm
Jasper wrote:
Yes. Exactly right. I feel like our QB just isn’t able to make our offense work. He just isn’t a passing threat. If you blitz, you get a sack. He can’t really run the option either since he pitches 100% of the time which means it isn’t really an option. If we went to straight up under center ProI formation with a fullback and just threw every now and then I think we’d be better off. Just let him hand off.

And it seems like we might be better off cutting the playbook down by about 50% and getting really good at 15 or 20 plays rather running a bunch of different plays and formations half ass and huppin the ball into the receiver’s ass. It just seems like somebody is delusional about what our guys can do.

And the center really needs to be evaluated, and I hate that because my boy was a center and I know how hard that job is.
bj93 liked this
 #37578  by gofurman
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:54 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 pm
The only consolation I can think of is that Wofford lost today. I don’t believe our final destiny was decided today.

After the Austin-Peay game and this one today I am not certain we are a top 10 team and maybe not even a top 20 team.
this. Quit telling me we are top 10 and arguing that the ranking of 15th was not enough. LOL. When I saw that number 10 I was thinking hmm. Maybe 25?
 #37604  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 pm
Had a while to digest this.

First, hats off to VMI. They came to play. They wanted it, they weren't concerned about the name on the front of the other team's jersey, and played their fannies off for four quarters.

Defense was fine. I am not worried about the defense. They looked good.

Offense looked completely unsynched. The final lines largely weren't terrible - 65% completions for 232 yards passing, 82 plays. About the only thing that worked consistently was roll out passes to Ryan Deluca. We spent the entire game behind the chains.

In real time, it looked like VMI was pressuring the backfield on every snap. Most of the pressures were outside and we just never seemed to figure out our pass protection. I don't know if that's on the offensive line or the running backs. We weren't picking up squat.

The coaches own some of this too. Sometimes what you want to do isn't working.
 #37622  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:44 pm
Jasper wrote:
That is a very interesting post. It is good to know that some people will say things that apparently need to be said. I was sort of thinking the same thing, but I don’t know enough. Maybe Jasper does.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.