• Feb. 27 - VMI

#37378  by AstroDin
 Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:17 pm
I just posted from the game notes release for the FU/VMI game.
My guess is based on the WCU game Furman substitute liberally along the offensive line Saturday.
 #37381  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:33 pm
According to the weather channel, take it for what its worth a 24% chance of rain at kickoff but field will be soaked after 20 straight hours of rain. Chance of snow Friday night but “supposed” to be in the low-mid 50s by ko. Could bode well for VMI passing game, not so well for our running game. Grass field, prolly no tarp so likely muddy.
 #37389  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:13 am
Update on the weather, still calling for the rain to be over by noon. At 2pm 57 degrees. Looking a little better.
 #37391  by AstroDin
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:11 am
VMI finally posted game notes for the Furman matchup.

On paper, VMI will go with a 3-4
LE 56 Warren Dabney 6-1 303 Jr. (returning starter moved from NG)
NT 52 Eric Weaver 6-3 300 R-So.(moved from DE - backup in 2019)
RE 0 Jordan Ward 6-1 249 Sr. (returning starter)

As a whole, the VMI d-line averages out to 6-1. Not a very tall bunch and it’s mentioned that this line struggles to attack the passing game. Furman has a long, athletic, deep o-line I’ll be curious to see what Furman does.

The linebackers…
OLB 31 Connor Riddle 6-1 212 R-Sr. (lots of backup exp, first-year starter)
OLB 35 Ethan Caselberry 6-4 201 Jr. (returning starter, leading tackler)
ILB 26 Carter Johnson 6-3 223 Jr. (made one start, mainly a backup)
ILB 5 Stone Snyder 6-3 225 So. (mainly a reserve, started against Furman in 2019)

Furman puts a lot of pressure on linebackers with a stable of backs that can catch the ball and all of our backs can make yards in the open field. It will be interesting to see how the Furman inside run game fairs against the Keydets.

The backside…
SAF 4 A.J. Smith 6-2 204 Sr. (is the star)
SAF 9 Tyren Cloyd 6-3 205 Sr. (moved over from OLB)
CB 11 Alex Oliver 6-0 175 Fr. (true freshman)
CB 1 Aljareek Malry 6-0 173 So. (moved over from safety)

Safety appears solid with some big bodies. Corners on the other hand appear to be a liability matching up against Furman’s very good route runners and athleticism.

Will Peterson have another big game? I’d also look out for how VMI handles Ryan Miller.
 #37392  by cavedweller2
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:06 pm
Sort of a curious meteorological issue I noticed during last week's game - even though the kick off time was roughly "standard," the lighting was peculiar for a home football game. I actually think it screwed with the broadcast some early on because the field was covered in more shadow than normal.

Looks like the weather on Saturday at VMI is supposed to be wet and probably chilly. VMI, notably, does not have lights on their football field (or at least have not in the past). Reports suggest that sunset is almost an hour earlier Saturday than it would have been on October 3, 2020 - the original date for the game.

This has nothing to do with the x's or o's, but just an interesting quirk of the 2021 spring season. If it's cloudy and a four hour game, I imagine we'll have some interesting lighting late in that contest.
No way its a 4 hour game. The way we will run the ball and burn clock will make it closer to a 2 hour 45minute game. Now if they dont tackle and we keep running down the field scoring it could drag out.
QCGlue liked this
 #37395  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:45 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:06 pm
Sort of a curious meteorological issue I noticed during last week's game - even though the kick off time was roughly "standard," the lighting was peculiar for a home football game. I actually think it screwed with the broadcast some early on because the field was covered in more shadow than normal.

Looks like the weather on Saturday at VMI is supposed to be wet and probably chilly. VMI, notably, does not have lights on their football field (or at least have not in the past). Reports suggest that sunset is almost an hour earlier Saturday than it would have been on October 3, 2020 - the original date for the game.

This has nothing to do with the x's or o's, but just an interesting quirk of the 2021 spring season. If it's cloudy and a four hour game, I imagine we'll have some interesting lighting late in that contest.
No way its a 4 hour game. The way we will run the ball and burn clock will make it closer to a 2 hour 45minute game. Now if they dont tackle and we keep running down the field scoring it could drag out.
VMI is an air raid offense. So, counterpoint.

Also, the length of the game is the commercial breaks, not the actual time playing football.
 #37396  by cavedweller2
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:57 am
Air raid maybe. I anticipate a lot of 3 and outs on their side. I could be wrong.
QCGlue, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #37397  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:28 am
Now forecasted high of 63. Virtually no chance of rain after 10AM. Look for a downpour. 🤣🤣
 #37398  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:29 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:57 am
Air raid maybe. I anticipate a lot of 3 and outs on their side. I could be wrong.
Last season, Udinski had roughly 150 more passing attempts than the number 2 QB in the league. His completion percentage was 64%. Their single running back also lead the league in rushing attempts. They still have the former, but not the latter.

This is a team that will throw it significantly more frequently than Samford does, and Samford throws it a lot. As you might expect, VMI and Samford were at the bottom of the SoCon in time of possession.

If I am VMI, I am putting the ball in the hands of my best player - Udinski - and see if he can keep Furman's offense on the sideline. Even in 2019, Furman put up 636 yards of offense against the Keydets. Sisson had 300+ total yards by himself. VMI hung around early, but just couldn't stop our offense really at any point.

I would expect a lot of dink and dunk on offense from VMI. I don't think they have a ton of deep threats at receiver, so they'll try to get guys loose with shorter crossing routes where they can pick off a defender and pick up a head of steam.

All that aside, the game time problem is a TV issue, not a game play issue. Even when I rewatched the game from Saturday, there are a ton of commercials.
 #37406  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:28 am
Now forecasted high of 63. Virtually no chance of rain after 10AM. Look for a downpour. 🤣🤣
Was somebody talking about weather...

dornb liked this
 #37407  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:19 pm
Well it looks like they got that part right hopefully they will get tomorrow right(unlikely). Still saying no rain high of 63. Looks loke the snow is laying on the grass which will make the field very wet and muddy tomorrow.
 #37408  by Flagman
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:40 pm
and that's the worst playing surface in the SoCon.
apaladin liked this
 #37409  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:19 pm
Well it looks like they got that part right hopefully they will get tomorrow right(unlikely). Still saying no rain high of 63. Looks loke the snow is laying on the grass which will make the field very wet and muddy tomorrow.

Grass is also, likely, dormant.

I have no idea what it’s like to play on dormant grass after a snow and rain. Guess we will see.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.