• Colgate

#3674  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 pm
Starting with the basics - LOW scoring team.

Beat UNH (who is usually a strong team and in the playoffs but may not be good this year?) 10 - 3. Not much offense. Think both teams bad 200 yards of offense.

We usually out-athlete Colgate. Beat them easily last year in New York with the speed and athletes esp on our D like Ellis and McKoy.
 #3675  by Purpleglasses
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:05 pm
I tried last night to find the Colgate Video from the UNH game...does anyone know where it can be found?
 #3676  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:18 pm
You look at their prior two games, and nothing jumps off the page (other than they won). They don't throw it particularly well. They don't run it particularly well. It looks like their QB, Brenneman, is their bell cow. He runs it a bunch.

They look a bit like we do on offense. Not a lot of beef, but guys that are going to be well coached and can move. Defensively, they are much smaller than Elon/Clemson. Again, I'd expect them to be where they are supposed to be doing what they are supposed to be doing.

At bottom, they are going to be a gritty, well coached team. I don't anticipate they will make a bunch of mistakes and will hurt themselves.

If I'm Colgate, I am going to force Furman to the air. We've got to start completing some passes. I don't necessarily see this team as one that is going to quick strike us to death, so hopefully we can get on the board early, start having some fun, and give their defense a heavy barrage of the running game.
Purpleglasses liked this
 #3722  by AstroDin
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 am
Onward to this matchup, what can Furman build on to make the third game of the season a win? Last season we played Colgate in the fourth slot — at 0-3, granted if I remember correctly we felt fairly good still about the potential of the team.

Overall cumulative offensive stats are weak, but if your an optimist (me) you have hope that more touches by the running backs and cutting down on tackles in the backfield might just kick-start this thing. Dirks has 21 carries in two games for 87 yards (4.1 ypc) Watkins only has 9 carries but leads in (ypc) 58 yards - 6.4 yards per carry, Wynn had IMO a very good game against Elon he now has 13 carries 54 yards (4.2). btw… Lincoln has 77 yards rushing but you have to subtract 26 lost yards, Grainger has 58 yards rushing before you subtract 44 yards.

Furman has to find a way to get the ball in Gordo's hands (4-43) and Burnette (1-10) and I'll add DeLuca is proving to be an important part of the receiver rotation he has one of Furman's two touchdowns so far.

Let's see what else might be hidden in the numbers? Comparing last season at this point Schumpert had only one catch for 13 yards. This season the only tight end to catch the ball is true freshman Ryan Miller (1-15) - Miller caught my eye in the practices and scrimmage — Miller is not a typical TE at 6-1 208 he's a hybrid TE/WR, Miller put up big numbers in high school; caught 69 passes for 1,149 yards and eight touchdowns, and rushed 51 times for 520 yards and 10 scores in 2017 …caught 82 passes for 1,529 yards and 18 TDs in 2016. As I was watching the Elon game I noticed how often I was seeing #82 on the field, that might end this week but I guess my point backed-up with zero knowledge is Miller looks like a matchup weapon similar to Schumpert if we can give our QBs time to find him. Grainger's pass in the end zone was thrown to Miller - unfortunately, he was double covered and the ball was intercepted.
 #3724  by Purpleglasses
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 am
Has there been any additional information about the flight accommodations for Colgate with GSP and Hurricane Florence?
When will the call to dance on Saturday or not be made?
 #3725  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:51 am
Purpleglasses wrote:
Has there been any additional information about the flight accommodations for Colgate with GSP and Hurricane Florence?
Charleston Southern and the Citadel called their game yesterday, I think. A slightly different consideration for them, though, as they are coastal and local to one another and (theoretically) could make up the contest.

I expect Furman and Colgate will make every effort to play the game. It wasn't but a few years ago that Furman played SCSU at home in a hurricane.
 #3727  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:58 am
The Jackal wrote:
Purpleglasses wrote:
Charleston Southern and the Citadel called their game yesterday, I think. A slightly different consideration for them, though, as they are coastal and local to one another and (theoretically) could make up the contest.

I expect Furman and Colgate will make every effort to play the game. It wasn't but a few years ago that Furman played SCSU at home in a hurricane.
I think they are moving it. Most likely place is to Wofford, I think. Woffy is at Wyoming & the anklebiters AD is a bellhop alum.
 #3730  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:29 am
Weather channel forecast for Saturday is Sunny and 20% chance of rain. Accuweather is similar with a 30% chance of a shower. Don't listen to local yahoos, if there is a 10% chance of bad weather they will make it sound like 100%. They get really excited about this kind of stuff.
Paladawg liked this
 #3732  by gman
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am
Don’t count on the Weather Channel forecasts either. The EURO computer models are historically the best with hurricanes. It is possible Florence will hit at the state line and then move west toward us. If that happens, it could be bad here on Saturday afternoon. With that scenario, I can see the game being cancelled. Why would Colgate fly down into a storm for a non-conference game? Bottom line, even the experts don’t have a clue where the storm will hit and where it will move inland. This is a great forum to follow. https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/515 ... e/?page=26
Last edited by gman on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #3733  by Purpleglasses
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am
The only thing with that SCSU game was that there were no flight accommodations.
I would assume Colgate is flying down here, and not driving the buses...
 #3734  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:10 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Purpleglasses wrote:

I think they are moving it. Most likely place is to Wofford, I think. Woffy is at Wyoming & the anklebiters AD is a bellhop alum.
You mean Citadel/CSU?

I thought you meant Furman/Colgate, which I couldn't figure out.
 #3735  by gman
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:15 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Purpleglasses wrote:

You mean Citadel/CSU?

The CSU/Citadel game has been cancelled. The Campbell at Coastal game has been moved to Campbell. Kickoff is tomorrow at 2:00.
 #3736  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:18 am
I would hate to lose the opportunity to play this game bc of the weather... though I guess we could make it up on the off week? Well, maybe not bc Colgate is probably playing that week. That would stink to not play them at all! I think it would be good for the team to get a Win now and Colgate is definite 'possible' win. Granted, you can argue what system is better served in the rain - I heard our announcers say the option is hurt a lot by the rain - but I always say the home team takes the biggest hit in the rain as the home crowd advantage diminishes. Instead of 4000 FU fans and 500 Colgate fans it becomes 2000 Furman fans in a rainstorm

Short - I REALLY hope we can play this week; otherwise we may lose out on a game of further learning and probably miss out on a Win
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #3737  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Purpleglasses wrote:

You mean Citadel/CSU?

The part about woffy’s AD being a bellhop alum should have been a clue.

Yep - cancelled game per P&C 30 minutes ago. Not posted up on el cid’s football website yet.