• VMI @ Furman Feb. 22

#37155  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:54 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:50 pm
But what's to keep Citadel from pulling this crap on Wednesday?
Of course, no team will be "pulling this crap", but another canceled game for us seals first place for UNCG. That also depends on UNCG having no canceled games.
 #37157  by purplehorse
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:01 pm
I am OK with it but would have preferred revenge on VMI. I still like our chances (we win 2 games and UNCG loses 1).

Now if one of our two games gets cancelled I will be disappointed. Would rather have it decided on the basketball court.
 #37159  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:25 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:54 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:50 pm
But what's to keep Citadel from pulling this crap on Wednesday?
Of course, no team will be "pulling this crap", but another canceled game for us seals first place for UNCG. That also depends on UNCG having no canceled games.

I am pretty certain VMI pulled this crap on us twice this year, early in the year they played Wofford at home right after canceling coming to Greenville, now they do it on gameday today, and we all know they never wanted to reschedule this game to begin with as the SoCon had to force them, I don't trust VMI one bit
apaladin liked this
 #37160  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:29 pm
This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise assuming all other games get played. FU now only has to win 2 games this week and with WC not playing all week this could help.
Roundball and 1 others liked this
 #37161  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:29 pm
This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise assuming all other games get played. FU now only has to win 2 games this week and with WC not playing all week this could help.
As long as Citadel and Woffy don't pull a VMI
 #37165  by PaladinPower
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 pm
I would say I am still not a conspiracist or believe the SOCON is out to get Furman, but this second VMI cancellation has me wondering...

What benefit does VMI in playing this game? A win certainly locks up a first round bye. A loss most likely kicks them out. Not playing the game keeps them where they are at. VMI is horrendous on the road (1-10) and Furman is great at home (10-1).

Smells fishy.
DoomedDin1127, Riz Dawg, Davemeister and 1 others liked this
 #37169  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:10 pm
All we had to do was to take care of business on January 20. VMI is going to cost us twice. The loss there and the canceled game due to COVID.
Last edited by Roundball on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #37170  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:13 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 pm
I would say I am still not a conspiracist or believe the SOCON is out to get Furman, but this second VMI cancellation has me wondering...

What benefit does VMI in playing this game? A win certainly locks up a first round bye. A loss most likely kicks them out. Not playing the game keeps them where they are at. VMI is horrendous on the road (1-10) and Furman is great at home (10-1).

Smells fishy.

Without a doubt they are pulling a covid style fast one on us, not once but twice this year
 #37172  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:43 pm
This stinks more and more when you look at it. VMI had a tough week with Furman, ETSU and UTC. Chance of them winning 2 of those were slim. So they have cancelled FU and ET but not UTC on Saturday. Here’s why they haven’t cancelled the UTC game. If Mercer wins 3 games this week they could finish 6th if VMI doesn’t play any. They would end up 9-8 and VMI 7-7. They may have to play the Saturday game if Mercer wins tonight and Wednesday. They would need a win on Saturday to stay ahead of Mercer. I am sure they will wait and see if Mercer loses a game. If they do then their game on Saturday won’t matter so they could choose to play or cancel. If Mercer wins Monday and Wednesday then they have to play Saturday or risk losing 6th place. There you have it.
 #37175  by PaladinPower
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:10 pm
Roundball, I am with you that it is naïve to think the Socon would have any role in hurting/helping certain teams in regards to scheduling, but VMI seeing this cancellation as an opportunity to help their chances is legitimate.

Just a day ago I saw where former FU coach Niko Medved was trying to fill in this weekend's games with New Mexico instead of playing their original schedule which included Nevada. NM is 1-13 in league play and Nevada is 9-5. The only reason to dodge Nevada and play the NM games is to not suffer a loss in the eyes of the committee and instead get two almost guaranteed W's. I would not be surprised if this kind of schedule jockeying is going around all over the country, especially right before conference tourneys are scheduled.
 #37176  by Paladin91
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 pm
Didn't they just have a game at Citadel on Saturday? if that's a true COVID case, their game against ETSU on Wed. should be cancelled too. Otherwise it's BS.
 #37179  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:20 pm
Wednesday's VMI/ETSU game is also cancelled.
Yes like I said above but the UTC game Saturday has not been canceled because they may need to play depending on what Mercer does.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.