Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 am
Paul C wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:27 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:15 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:12 pm
What attendance number was announced?
If no announcement (or even if there was one), what do people on here estimate true attendance was?
The box score on Furman's website lists the attendance as 1994. That feels about right to me.
Talked to a FU Athletic Administration at the game today and he said we were limited to 2300 max today....
So I’ll go with info from mathprofhiker: 1994.
 #37083  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:58 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:19 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:40 pm
Sisson could have let that bad int crawl up in his head and screw up the whole game. But he shook it off and played real good.

What about this Roberto wrecking ball dude? Did we expect him to be this good?
Yes, he was a force last year(2019). Actually looks like he has slimmed down some.

He's listed at 10 pounds heavier than last season (246). My recollection is that he was sort of forced into early duty last year due the injury to Carson Maples, but is a guy that probably benefitted from the extra time in the weight room and practice field.

It was an impressive display of running back depth yesterday. Furman ran the ball a pretty staggering 66 times and moved at a no-huddle/hurry up pace nearly the entire time. It's going to be hard for any defense to stand up to that for four quarters.
 #37084  by AstroDin
 Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:17 am
Concerning the crowd size: I also heard size was limited by health & safety - I know from some other people wanting tickets they could have sold a lot more tickets. And I don't care - thank you for giving us Furman Football.

Sunday Thoughts

Hamp Sission is going to be a great game manager. After the first bad throw (1st INT) Hamp showed patience, nifty ball-handling, and the ability to throw strikes.

The running-back talent and depth are difference-makers. Furman actually has three power backs; Abrams, Roberto, and Wynn. Wynn playing at 216 pounds - is a physical force. Wynn has a unique running style he mixes power with the ability to slash and bust a long run on every rush. Wynn at times looked like a man against boys. Abrams is vastly underrated can get the hard inside yards and showed his vision and ability yesterday plus the dude is a great receiver. Roberto is looking like a smart decision to offer, Elon wanted him at LB, Furman at RB. Wayne Anderson and KT were used in some interesting ways Saturday. Both are excellent receivers, both are fast, I'm guessing Quarles has some bigger plans for these two. I expected Furman to play five running backs now I can see six maybe seven. Chase Abshear appears to be a solid #3 at the running back spot. I'll dive into this more later Furman's PWO strategy is appearing to be bearing fruit.

The O-Line. I noticed early that Anderson Tomlin is a smart, athletic, physical force at tackle. On Furman's first scoring drive. Western's #8 LA Rodgers - mixed it up with a Furman tailback, Tomlin broke it up. In the next play, Tomlin pancaked #8 and Rodgers came up swinging and was kicked out of the game. I saw an offensive line that ain't taking any sh!#! I used to be envious of the way those old GSU lines fired off the ball. If you're not watching Evan Jumper your missing out.

Catching the ball. During his radio interview, CCH seemed dismissive about the INTs. Hamp made a bad decision on the first INT. In the other interceptions, he mentioned a wrong route was run. Hamp's pass to Miller came in a little hot, and Jack's ball was underthrown before turning into a tipped ball drill.

Zack Peterson looks solid at SE and it was great to see Noah Henderson getting a catch and Bailor Hughes (we share the same birthday) make a tip-toe catch. It's going to be fun to watch how Quarles uses DeLuca and Bell. Furman obviously wants the ball in Bell's hands when they can.

Tight Ends. Miller missed on the ball that was intercepted and another pass low in the end zone, but Ryan made up for it with a great catch in traffic for a touchdown. As expected #45 Page was often used in the backfield being a physical blocker.

I'm going to do a separate post about that defensive performance.
Jasper liked this
 #37092  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:45 am
I would add Jordan Harris' performance to our positives. He is coming off a serious leg injury and did not know how it would stand up under game conditions. He started at RG and played great until the first unit came out of the game. Don't know how good the WCU D line was but that was the best upfront blocking I have seen in a long time. WCU was fortuanate the our RB's did not take a few of those runs to the house with the head of steam they had from the running starts the OLine gave them. Great protection for the passer as well. Kudos to the big boys.
AstroDin, PalaDad liked this
 #37094  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am
Hendrix also mentioned that the one sack was a result of the play call - the one guy we designed not to block was the one guy that WCU opted to blitz.

Going back and watching a bit, Sisson was doing a good job of looking off defenders and going through progressions. They didn't post a lot of great clips on twitter (I think our offense was moving faster than the broadcast could keep up with), but there's a lot to like here:

As a hat tip to the offensive line, Furman sends out 5 receivers and WCU brings 6 rushers. So, our 5 offensive linemen kept 6 WCU defenders from really getting anywhere near Sisson. You can see LG (Krober, I think) basically holding out two defenders - one on each arm.

WCU looks to drop into cover 4. Every receiver is open (mostly because WCU blitzed their flat defenders). Arguably, Miller is the least open of all 5 receivers. Sisson could have thrown that ball just about anywhere for big yards.

It's a good read by Sisson, I think, even though Miller appears somewhat covered. The post route should be open against four deep coverage (no defender is taking away the middle of the field). Sisson sees the coverage and slings it through a pretty tight window, but one he knows will likely be open. That's a hard throw to defend. I appreciate his confidence - that's a gutsy throw when you've already thrown a few picks.

I also think you see the trust the coaches have in our TBs as receivers. Anderson runs a deep crossing route from the slot, which is a type of route you'd expect from a WR, not a running back.
PalaDad, QCGlue liked this
 #37134  by Davemeister
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:50 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am
Hendrix also mentioned that the one sack was a result of the play call - the one guy we designed not to block was the one guy that WCU opted to blitz.
Yes, Sisson got blind-sided on that one. It surprised me that he held onto the ball - one of his best moments of the day.
AstroDin liked this
 #37139  by furmandad
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:19 am
Happy he held on; but a right- handed QB should see blitzer coming @ him from defense's left edge.
 #37140  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:34 am
furmandad wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:19 am
Happy he held on; but a right- handed QB should see blitzer coming @ him from defense's left edge.

Something tells me you've never been in that situation. If you don't see him, you don't see him.
 #37141  by furmandad
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:42 am
Have been in that situation Jackal. Hamp's a good QB but still learning. With more game experience he will not only see it, but feel it. Was not a blind side as was suggested.
 #37142  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:57 am
furmandad wrote:
Have been in that situation Jackal. Hamp's a good QB but still learning. With more game experience he will not only see it, but feel it. Was not a blind side as was suggested.

I just don't put it necessarily on Sisson, though. According to Hendrix, the play design was not to block that defender. He blitzed, our TB ran right by him, and was on Sisson in a blink. Even if he "felt" it, what's he supposed to do? Throw it to who?

To be honest, he may have "felt" it just quickly enough to hold onto the ball, which is about the best result we could have expected out of that play. I don't know if that's on the coaches, or the back, but if no one is going to block a free rusher, it's hard to pin it on the QB.
 #37144  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:08 pm
Was AND wasn’t blind-side.

Wasn’t, in the traditional sense that the rush came from the right side of a right -handed QB - so not his blind-side.

Was blind-side in that the pre-snap & play design had him looking to his left to put the back in motion, then opening to his left on the play-action, and then looking for his 1st option on the left side of the field.

He’ll learn to scan the other side of the field pre-snap - probably the very next time he runs that play.

So, great news - you’re both/all correct.

Man, it’s tough on FUBeAR to have to be the internet’s arbiter & peacemaker. But, someone has to step up to the task. Just storing up more treasures in Heaven.
Davemeister liked this
 #37145  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:57 am
furmandad wrote:
I just don't put it necessarily on Sisson, though. According to Hendrix, the play design was not to block that defender. He blitzed, our TB ran right by him, and was on Sisson in a blink. Even if he "felt" it, what's he supposed to do? Throw it to who?

To be honest, he may have "felt" it just quickly enough to hold onto the ball, which is about the best result we could have expected out of that play. I don't know if that's on the coaches, or the back, but if no one is going to block a free rusher, it's hard to pin it on the QB.
Lots of options if/when he sees that dude cheatin’ up pre-snap - check out of play, dispense with play-action fake that puts his back to the defender, change OL PassPro to slide right & pick him up, shift RB to EoL to pick him up, tell RB to pick him up w/o shifting, know that RB’s route behind the blitzer should be open & call hot read to RB (be ready to catch it quick), call timeout (not a fan of that one) ...

He’s a young pup. That hit/sack was an educational experience that was (relatively) free. All good.
 #37156  by AstroDin
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:57 pm
Bear — I know you went to the Terrier/Bear game and I assume you've watched the Furman film. Curious where you see the teams after one week? Furman and Wofford…?
 #37166  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:45 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:57 pm
Bear — I know you went to the Terrier/Bear game and I assume you've watched the Furman film. Curious where you see the teams after one week? Furman and Wofford…?
Furman

Wofford

Mercer
 #37168  by Jasper
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:08 pm
Perhaps the best thing about Hamp Sisson on Saturday was the way he shrugged off the early interception. The WCU defender made a very good play on that ball. He hid and then jumped the route at the correct time. It happens. The kid came back like nothing happened. He looks vastly improved to me and I think Coach made the right decision in making an early call on the QB starter. Sisson looks like he really understands the offense and his passing and running have greatly improved.
FUBeAR, PalaDad, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this