• JP Pegues Senior Season

#36785  by AstroDin
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 pm
JP Pegues is blowing up my YouTube feed…
JP looks darn good at PG, handles the ball well, is great at driving the ball, really good at dishing the ball, and appears to hit the open shot consistently.

#36786  by Furmanoid
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:12 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 pm
JP Pegues is blowing up my YouTube feed…
JP looks darn good at PG, handles the ball well, is great at driving the ball, really good at dishing the ball, and appears to hit the open shot consistently.

Thanks for this. Already feel better about next year.
 #36789  by apaladin
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 pm
He can definitely make a layup and free throw. :D I counted 27 points on layups and free throws. Hard to say if he hits the open shot consistently in avhighlight reel when they only show makes. That is true for everyone. Looks like he has a nice smooth jumpshot.
 #36791  by Paul C
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:00 pm
I like how it appears he knows how to move without the ball....
 #36792  by RaleighDin
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:18 pm
Let's keep it in context though - the level of competition doesn't look super high, which he can't control. Physically he looks super talented and athletic, will be interesting to see how quickly his game translates when he gets a D1 defender in front of him for the first time. It's taken Joe about 3/4 of the season and he seems pretty comfortable now - wonder what it will be like for JP?

Pumped to see him in a Dins jersey next year.
 #36793  by Furmanoid
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
He can definitely make a layup and free throw. :D I counted 27 points on layups and free throws. Hard to say if he hits the open shot consistently in avhighlight reel when they only show makes. That is true for everyone. Looks like he has a nice smooth jumpshot.
Think about it. We can use a guy who’s automatic with layups and free throws. Them points count too! But the thing I think I see is a real nice soft arc on his shots. Nowitski had an engineer/coach who figured out that 47 degrees is optimal shooting angle. Our guys seem to be down around high 30’s sometimes and that leads to streakyness and hard to predict rebounds.
 #36797  by AstroDin
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
All you have to do is dig to watch more game highlights - I would say Mr. Pegues is very consistent.
Pegues plays longer than 6-1 - I also think his high arch shot is a good sign. My old ball coach at Berea Coach Mattos always wanted us to shoot with a higher arc as well not aim so darn much for the front of the rim. JP appears to be very well-coached. Also as Paul mentioned he moves well and is another sneaky passer he can release a pass on target at lower angles.
 #36829  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:34 am
Love to see us get an athletic scorer at PG like this, gonna be a great player here