• Conference Standings

#36674  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:09 am
Someone help me if I am wrong as I certainly could be. It seems the final conference standings will come down to your percentage NOT the losses per se as it looks like for instance that we may come up playing two less games.

If that is the case (?), and if we win today we would actually move ahead of the Wofford-ETSU loser in the standings.

Any thoughts?
 #36677  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:29 am
purplehorse wrote:
Someone help me if I am wrong as I certainly could be. It seems the final conference standings will come down to your percentage NOT the losses per se as it looks like for instance that we may come up playing two less games.

If that is the case (?), and if we win today we would actually move ahead of the Wofford-ETSU loser in the standings.

Any thoughts?
From SoCon release yesterday:

For both men's and women's basketball, the regular-season champion will be the team with the best winning percentage in conference play, with the men needing to play a minimum of 10 league contests and the women eight – standards all but Samford's men and ETSU's women have met so far, with both of them just one game shy of reaching the threshold.
 #36678  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:48 am
If we win out the worst we could finish is second, assuming etsu doesn’t win out. The only way to finish first is if uncg loses twice. A win this past Wednesday would have put us in the drivers seat and in control. That game was so winnable. 😒 Of course the chances of us winning 6 in a row are not good.

As much as I hate to say it we need WC to win at etsu today.
A uncg loss at Mercer would be nice.
 #36681  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:29 am
purplehorse wrote:

Any thoughts?
From SoCon release yesterday:

For both men's and women's basketball, the regular-season champion will be the team with the best winning percentage in conference play, with the men needing to play a minimum of 10 league contests and the women eight – standards all but Samford's men and ETSU's women have met so far, with both of them just one game shy of reaching the threshold.
Per SD calcs, Dins Win reg season if they stay at 4 L and rest have at least 5 L.

VMI game looms large
 #36694  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:04 pm
Off the top of my head I believe I would prefer ETSU. If Wofford ends up # 4 and we end up # 2 or # 3 ww would see them until the finals.

I am more concerned about the tourney than the regular season.
Affirm liked this
 #36696  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:21 pm
Bucs are pounding Wofford. The Terriers are not very good. I don’t understand why we are the only team in the league that makes them look like the Lakers.
Affirm liked this
 #36699  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:22 pm
Mind boggling. They didn’t even get to 50 today. You can see it now those those 2 lost games are going to hurt
 #36705  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:51 pm
I was wrong in my first post above because I wrongly thought Wofford was 9-6. They are 9-5 so they have .642 winning percentage and FU .636-so we are still in 4th place.
 #36710  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:00 pm
Correct if both teams win their next game they will flip. Of course some big games in the SoCon this week startng Monday night when etsu visits utc.
 #36754  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:12 pm
UNCG 10-3 5 games left, will play 18
Wofford 9-5 4 games left, will play 18
Furman 7-4 5 games left, will play 16
ETSU 8-5 5 games left, will play 18
UTC 8-5 4 games left, will play 17
Both UNCG AND ETSU have had all their games rescheduled, why hasn’t the SoCon did the sane for Furman??
 #36755  by Sad Din
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:12 pm
UNCG 10-3 5 games left, will play 18
Wofford 9-5 4 games left, will play 18
Furman 7-4 5 games left, will play 16
ETSU 8-5 5 games left, will play 18
UTC 8-5 4 games left, will play 17
Both UNCG AND ETSU have had all their games rescheduled, why hasn’t the SoCon did the sane for Furman??
Believe only way FU wins conf now is that FU wins out and UNCG losses 2x. Need some help from ETSU and another Team to beat UNCG. Of course, FU needs to win out
 #36763  by tya1
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 am
UNCG is in the best position but they play at VMI and at ETSU, two games against Western Carolina, and home against Chattanooga (hottest team in the league.) Chattanooga and ETSU will be very tough and VMI has proven hard to beat this year, especially at home. UNCG's weakness is their iffy outside shooting and has to play very good defense all the time to make up for the shooting problems.
 #37042  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:10 pm
By my math, correct me if I am wrong, but FU will be in first place if UNCG loses to UTC today.

We would be at .692, Wofford .687 and UNCG a and UTC at .666.
Roundball liked this
 #37054  by Roundball
 Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:18 pm
Dang it. ESPN+ is experiencing technical difficulties. Unable to watch the Chatty at UNCG game.
Sad Din liked this