• SoCon Tournament Info

#36643  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Read between the lines “if the tournament is not able to held”. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think the league office has any intention of having it. If they were serious they would have moved it to Greenville and out of NC where they are still in lockdown mode due to their crazy governor.
 #36646  by Roundball
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:32 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Read between the lines “if the tournament is not able to held”. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think the league office has any intention of having it. If they were serious they would have moved it to Greenville and out of NC where they are still in lockdown mode due to their crazy governor.
If it is not held, it will be because the NCAA canceled all conference tournaments. The reason I say that is the covid protocol for teams to enter the NCAA tournament. Teams must produce seven straight negative tests before arriving in Indianapolis. The big conferences are not going to take the chance to finish up their tournaments on the Sunday before Indy, and then risk getting knocked out of the NCAA tournament because of a positive test. I expect the conference tournaments to be canceled. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 244309001/
 #36651  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:52 pm
If we could have taken care of business against VMI, WC or UNCG we would be in first place and maybe by a couple of games. I am afraid we missed an opportunity to get into the ncaa without having to win the SoCon tournament which is a shame because it was so doable. Now playing less games, that chance is virtually gone.

FYI pretty sure the NCAA has no authority to cancel conference tournaments.
 #36656  by PaladinPower
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:39 pm
NCAA came out and said conferences have to decide to have a conference tournament or not by 2/26 I believe. Unless something major happens or an outbreak in Asheville throws off the event, expect it to happen as normal with no fans. Just claiming they will “probably” cancel is just fear mongering. They will find a way. The bid dance is scheduled a week+ ahead of when the mid major tourneys happen, so the 7 straight tests is a non issue.
soconjohn, Roundball liked this
 #36661  by soconjohn
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:57 am
NCAA is not making the call on conference tournaments, but leaving it to the discretion of the conference...Since mid-major conferences are the ones it means the most to, naturally every effort will be made to decide a champion in a conference tournament setting.
 #36662  by soconjohn
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:59 am
In fact, Jason Donnelly and I discussed this very topic at WCU the other week...He said only major conferences with multiple bids might cancel because they wouldn't have enough time off before the NCAA Tournament if they tested positive for COVID, whereas a league like the SoCon would, as it finishes its tournament nearly a week prior to selection Sunday.
Roundball liked this
 #36675  by Roundball
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:15 am
apaladin wrote:
If we could have taken care of business against VMI, WC or UNCG we would be in first place and maybe by a couple of games. I am afraid we missed an opportunity to get into the ncaa without having to win the SoCon tournament which is a shame because it was so doable. Now playing less games, that chance is virtually gone.

You are right.
 #36676  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:18 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:15 am
apaladin wrote:

You are right.
True. If Tourney is canx and Teams are tied, SoCon should use NET IMHO becuase that will be used for seating.

One question will be how to handle records that did not play out with covid canx