• FURMAN @UNCG WEDNESDAY 5PM ESPNU

#36545  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:28 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:00 pm
I expect UNCG to shoot much better than the 11% from 3 and 29% overall than they did Monday.

Also expect FU to have fewer turnovers than the 18 we did on Monday.
I was half right UNCG shot 46% and we had....18 turnovers again.
 #36546  by Sad Din
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:22 pm
31.6 shooting and 18 friggin turnovers and lost by 6. Shows you hiw winnable this game was.
They didnt score that much off TOs but it seemed like whenever there was a little momentum it was killed by a TO.

4 pt play right before the half was a dagger as well

They outscored us in the paint by 10. Dont know why our bigs keep insisting on 3pt shots. We dont have a player that can back done a big and consistently score. Normal result is either a TO or miss
 #36547  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:34 pm
I cling to the hope that we are still figuring things out and pull a Wofford, and get hot at tourney time.

I am convinced this team CAN BE very very good. APs point earlier about our poor shooting and 18 TO’s but only losing by 6 is case in point. For some reason we just can’t put it all together.

The volume shooting of 3s and lack of ball security are the biggest issues to me. The unforced errors make me want to pull my hair out. And they usually stem from players trying to do too much, not playing within themselves. Mounce, Slaw, Gurley are all prone to it.

And Bothwell having a rough stretch. He isn’t finishing at the rim like ha has for the last year and a half, and is 2-15 over the last 4 games from 3.
Sad Din liked this
 #36548  by Paladin91
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:35 pm
Frustrating watching this team - just too inconsistent. Mounce seems to be the only player to attempt to give 100% effort night after night. Had high hopes for Gurley this year, but certainly not lived up to expectations - not sure if it's a confidence issue , or what - definitely has the raw talent if used right.

I think our bench is just overall weak - no real scorer coming off the bench like Bothwell last year. Hien is a position player, not a big scorer. Pugh is undersized. Not impressed with Anderson's ball handling skills and Kinney hasn't stood out at all. Assuming Mounce and Hunter are gone next year, we will be at the bottom of the pack unless some true freshmen step up because Bothwell will be the only potential scorer.

We'll be lucky to make it to the semifinals of SOCON tournament this year unless the team can find some drive.
 #36549  by Monday
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 pm
This team doesn’t have the heart we have come to expect from the past several seasons. Could be we were expecting to walk to a championship and not actually earn it. We’re soft and can’t fight back.

Hien is the only one consistently showing any fire. He plays like a Wofford player......
 #36550  by purplehorse
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:49 pm
No easy baskets inside. If Gurley puts the ball on the floor he often loses it. Misses too many short shots and generally does not finish around the basket like Rafferty always does.

An extremely disappointing year so far.
 #36551  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:56 pm
I’ve said this before but if Gurley could finish 50-60% of the time within 5-8 feet of the basket we’d be a much better team. Mounce had a great game and effort, just a shame no one else helped him out.
 #36552  by Furmanoid
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:07 pm
I just don’t think our guys are anywhere near skilled enough to live up to expectations. Or it may be that our scheme just makes them look bad. We will sometimes have anomalous hot nights from 3, but we’re sort of helpless if they aren’t falling. I think they are trying pretty hard.
bj93 liked this
 #36553  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 pm
2-4 the last 6 games. Doubtful we finish in the top 4 now. UTC is playing well and getting better. They are up 17/at WC 8n the second half. We are gett8ng worse. I think there are 5-6 teams capable of winning in Asheville. FU is not one of them. We can’t put 2 decent games together, much less 3. We are definiteky a pretender not a contender. Just hope we dont have to play WC in the tourney. Don’t want to lose to them 3 times but guess it doesn’t really matter.
 #36554  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:18 pm
Last 7 games we are 65-214 from 3.

That’s 30.3% on 32 attempts per game. Not enough on too many.
 #36555  by cavedweller2
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:20 pm
Suicide by 3.
bj93 liked this
 #36556  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 pm
2-4 the last 6 games. Doubtful we finish in the top 4 now. UTC is playing well and getting better. They are up 17/at WC 8n the second half. We are gett8ng worse. I think there are 5-6 teams capable of winning in Asheville. FU is not one of them. We can’t put 2 decent games together, much less 3. We are definiteky a pretender not a contender. Just hope we dont have to play WC in the tourney. Don’t want to lose to them 3 times but guess it doesn’t really matter.
How many times have we seen teams go through rough stretches and then find themselves.....happens all the time. Wofford lost 7 in a row at the end of last year and then made it to the SoCon Finals.

We are not far away from being very good. We just need to settle down, play our fundamental system, play within ourselves,not try to do too much and let the games come to us....not press so hard...which leads to TOs and too many three’s because someone thinks they have to step up and “be the man”.

Woff now trails UTC by 20 and Citadel leads ETSU by 8 w 7 min to go in Charleston.
 #36557  by Sad Din
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:34 pm
agree, Ever since the woffy game seem to have lost the offensive identity. Even W vs UNCG on Monday wasnt too good

Maybe need to get back to the basics, clear their heads and start fresh.
Paul C liked this
 #36559  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:53 pm
Citadel beats ETSU and UTC beats Wofford. Could have been all alone in first with a win tonight, but nooooo!
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.