• No more paladin club

#35987  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:42 am
Well I know you aren’t supposed to use the name “Crusaders” anymore. Paladins fought Muslims too, only they fought African Muslims in Europe instead of Arabs in Palestine. That may even be worse. Plus there’s the TV show promoting gun violence.
I would have been joking about this 5 years ago, but I’m not sure I’m joking now.
 #35990  by Davemeister
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 am
Yep. We've seen this coming. If Hofstra can't be "The Flying Dutchmen", no way we can continue to be Paladins.
 #35991  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 am
Davemeister wrote:
Yep. We've seen this coming. If Hofstra can't be "The Flying Dutchmen", no way we can continue to be Paladins.
Here’s how a more closely related example dealt with this possible ‘issue’ that some are presuming is being presaged by the shelving of the Paladin Club moniker.

https://www.holycross.edu/crusader-mon ... er-imagery

TLDR Summary - Holy Cross kept the Crusaders name, but ditched the Knight & Knight-related imagery.

Richard Boone died 40 years ago this month, but I suppose we could license his image from his estate & other rights desired from Paramount’s CBS Television Distribution entity.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #35992  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:35 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 am
Davemeister wrote:
Here’s how a more closely related example dealt with this possible ‘issue’ that some are presuming is being presaged by the shelving of the Paladin Club moniker.

https://www.holycross.edu/crusader-mon ... er-imagery

TLDR Summary - Holy Cross kept the Crusaders name, but ditched the Knight & Knight-related imagery.

Richard Boone died 40 years ago this month, but I suppose we could license his image from his estate & other rights desires from Paramount’s CBS Television Distribution entity.
I’m not presuming yet, just getting sort of a sick feeling.
 #35998  by Sad Din
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:37 pm
If this had been done a year ago, baseball might still be around
 #36008  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 pm
Davemeister wrote:

Northwestern once upon a time change to "Purple Haze" from Wildcats. I think they soon returned to Wildcats. If they are no longer "Purple Haze", or even if they are, maybe we will become "Furman Purple Haze" and change the athletics support organization to the Purple Haze Club.
 #36010  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:31 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:37 pm
If this had been done a year ago, baseball might still be around
Baseball potentially can be resurrected, along with adding 2 women's sports necessary for Title IX compliance. Posting on 6/2/20, 6:28 PM, Affirm posited the need for $1,760,000 dependable income per year, or perhaps $44,000,000 in endowment, to be able to resurrect baseball along with the 2 added women's sports.

New "Lifetime Giving Society" designations:
    Lifetime "Rose Garden Society" level, $100,000 - need only 440 baseball supporters at that level.
      White Oaks Society "Benefactor" level, $1,000,000 - need only 44 baseball supporters at that level.
      OR
        White Oaks Society "Sustainer" level, $5,000,000 - need only 9 baseball supporters at that level.
        OR
          White Oaks Society "Visionary" level, $10,000,000 - need only 5 baseball supporters at that level, or actually only 1 if that 1 donor would just go ahead and give the additional $34,000,000 to get it to $44,000,000

New "Leadership" giving designations:
          Perhaps the Board of Trustees could be persuaded to accept long-term commitments:
            "Bell Tower Society" level, $2,500 per year - may need only 704 baseball "perpetual commitment" donors at that level, as long as the perpetually committed donor does actually guarantee the $2,500 annual donation into perpetuity or at least some number of years such as 60 years.
             #36017  by cavedweller2
             Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:56 pm
            affirm wrote:
            Davemeister wrote:

Northwestern once upon a time change to "Purple Haze" from Wildcats. I think they soon returned to Wildcats. If they are no longer "Purple Haze", or even if they are, maybe we will become "Furman Purple Haze" and change the athletics support organization to the Purple Haze Club.
            Purple Haze would be good. The logo should be an outline of Woodwinds with a smoke cloud over it.
             #36021  by Fred Garvin
             Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:28 am
            cavedweller2 wrote:
            Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:56 pm
            affirm wrote:
            Davemeister wrote:

I fully support this idea IF AND ONLY IF visual references to Power Triumverate of Rasputin/Lex/I'm wild I'm mean I'm Dale are included

Purple Haze would be good. The logo should be an outline of Woodwinds with a smoke cloud over it.