• Zoom Meeting with Jason Donnelly on Football

Would you like to have a Zoom meeting with Jason Donnelly?

Yes
64%
No
36%
 #35906  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am
I will stand down. “not inevitable” is not the same as unlikely. I remember hearing it worded differently on the radio saying that 1918 was a different time and a different pandemic, but I can’t find it so maybe I imagined it. Now you need to admit that nobody said to drink Lysol.

So I guess I can’t defend rescheduling for the winter. It was just stupid.
 #35907  by gman84
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:41 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am
I will stand down. “not inevitable” is not the same as unlikely. I remember hearing it worded differently on the radio saying that 1918 was a different time and a different pandemic, but I can’t find it so maybe I imagined it. Now you need to admit that nobody said to drink Lysol.

So I guess I can’t defend rescheduling for the winter. It was just stupid.
The problem is hind sight is always 20-20. I'm in the health professions and believe me this has been no joy ride. Some things we were told in May were flat wrong. The problem is we all wanted precise answers to an unknown outcome which is still evolving. I expected a rise in #'s following the holidays, but nowhere close to what we have now. I expected to be watching BB and FB games in the same month. That was stupid. :D
 #35916  by CharlieFU
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 pm
I presume the reason Flagman thought there would be a better response is the overwhelming number of times on the UFFP that questions are asked about various things that could be answered by Jason. Duh?

Same for the basketball thread.

PS to Fred Garvin: I think it would be a good thing if we ended up talking about renovating Timmons!
FurmAlum liked this
 #35926  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:05 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:58 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:06 am
FEAR
Pure fear on the part of leadership.

Very pure and very justifiable fear, yes?
Outside spaced out with masks on and presumably everybody aware of their own age and risk factors I think it MAY border on less than justifiable. If we don’t play, better hope they come me up with vaccine 2.0 super fast or who knows when we’ll play again.
 #35927  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:11 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
I presume the reason Flagman thought there would be a better response is the overwhelming number of times on the UFFP that questions are asked about various things that could be answered by Jason. Duh?

PS to Fred Garvin: I think it would be a good thing if we ended up talking about renovating Timmons!
... the overwhelming number of times on the UFFP that questions are asked about various things that could be answered by Jason. Duh?
Overwhelming number?
In comparison to what?
And just because some questions are asked on the UFFP that could be "addressed by" Jason does not mean that Jason is going to completely or satisfactorily "answer" all those questions.
There are (I hope) many people who have great interest in and give great support to Furman athletics who do not have time to attend such a zoom meeting because they actually have a life doing other more important things.
Duh.
 #35929  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:40 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
Fred Garvin wrote:
FEAR

Outside spaced out with masks on and presumably everybody aware of their own age and risk factors I think it MAY border on less than justifiable. If we don’t play, better hope they come me up with vaccine 2.0 super fast or who knows when we’ll play again.
Presumably everybody aware of their own age and risk factors? Maybe not true in SC which has very bad COVID numbers, and maybe not especially in Greenville County, which for months has had worse COVID numbers than other large population centers in SC practically every single day.
 #35939  by FurmAlum
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:35 pm
FBS college football and the NFL have proven that it is safe to have outdoor games with strict protocols in place for the players/coaches/staff with a limited amount of fans properly socially distanced.

Nobody has gotten terribly sick and died that was connected to the teams have they? I guess nobody knows about the fans but the fans don't have to come to the games if they don't want to.

4,000 - 5,000 fans spread out all over Paladin Stadium would be a very low risk, so I just don't see why we shouldn't play and I think we will.
QCGlue liked this
 #35943  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:38 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:35 pm
FBS college football and the NFL have proven that it is safe to have outdoor games with strict protocols in place for the players/coaches/staff with a limited amount of fans properly socially distanced.

Nobody has gotten terribly sick and died that was connected to the teams have they? I guess nobody knows about the fans but the fans don't have to come to the games if they don't want to.

4,000 - 5,000 fans spread out all over Paladin Stadium would be a very low risk, so I just don't see why we shouldn't play and I think we will.
Regarding FBS and NFL, they have a lot more money to be able to hire staff and planners to pull it if.
... In the case of Furman:
What about risk to stadium ushers (those who “make sure” that we go to our spread out seat locations), for example?
What if people “rightfully” and/or adamantly refuse to go to where they’re assigned?
What about crowded restroom facilities? (I assume NO concessions.)
Is yelling going to be allowed?
What about risk when people are coming through stadium gates & interior portals and walkways and ticket windows?
Would there be a no-tailgating and no-gathering rule, and would such be enforceable?
(Of course, I think the number attending would be <1,000, not 4,000-5,000, until and unless the team has some really, really, really impressive results in early games and stays at or near that level. Maybe at 1,000, most of the above concerns would go away - not sure.)
PS: No, I will not be joining the call to ask any of the above. Jason and all others in university administration are smart enough to think of all such concerns, make decision, and communicate the decisions clearly.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #35944  by CharlieFU
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:43 pm
affirm wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

... the overwhelming number of times on the UFFP that questions are asked about various things that could be answered by Jason. Duh?
Overwhelming number?
In comparison to what?
And just because some questions are asked on the UFFP that could be "addressed by" Jason does not mean that Jason is going to completely or satisfactorily "answer" all those questions.
There are (I hope) many people who have great interest in and give great support to Furman athletics who do not have time to attend such a zoom meeting because they actually have a life doing other more important things.
Duh.
Wow. Interesting.

I will remember this the next time there is some debate on here. It’s always amused me that people don’t just ask. You don’t know if you will get an answer unless you ask.

I have had a number of conversations with athletic Dept folks, especially in last 10-15 years and have learned a lot. Sometimes people would rather whine and complain about stuff than make an effort to learn the answer

Absolutes are dangerous. I never said every question somebody has can or should be answered by our AD in some zoom call.

I don’t intend to be on the meeting. But I see no need to disparage people, some of whom are retired and do have the time. I appreciate someone making the effort.

By the way, part of my life, an important part, is in fact following our basketball team. It’s part of my life, what I enjoy doing. It’s “important” to me. I spend time and money on it.

I would never presume to know what is “important” to you or what “having a life” means to you.

I think that’s enough for now.
 #35945  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:51 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:43 pm
affirm wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

Overwhelming number?
In comparison to what?
Duh.
Wow. Interesting.

I will remember this the next time there is some debate on here. It’s always amused me that people don’t just ask. You don’t know if you will get an answer unless you ask.

I have had a number of conversations with athletic Dept folks, especially in last 10-15 years and have learned a lot. Sometimes people would rather whine and complain about stuff than make an effort to learn the answer

Absolutes are dangerous. I never said every question somebody has can or should be answered by our AD in some zoom call.

I don’t intend to be on the meeting. But I see no need to disparage people, some of whom are retired and do have the time. I appreciate someone making the effort.

By the way, part of my life, an important part, is in fact following our basketball team. It’s part of my life, what I enjoy doing. It’s “important” to me. I spend time and money on it.

I would never presume to know what is “important” to you or what “having a life” means to you.

I think that’s enough for now.
Yes.
All of life is important.
I agree that people should quit whining and complaining about Furman athletics. Be supportive.
Go Furman.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #35947  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:06 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:40 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
Fred Garvin wrote:
FEAR

Presumably everybody aware of their own age and risk factors? Maybe not true in SC which has very bad COVID numbers, and maybe not especially in Greenville County, which for months has had worse COVID numbers than other large population centers in SC practically every single day.
Since there are app. 100k more people in Greenville County than the second most populated county(Richland) it stands to reason the most caese would be in Greenville County.