• CharlieFU and his State of the Season Address

#35837  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 pm
Fork457 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:11 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm
Some negativity from me has been as pushback against or reaction towards
... ... ... ... reading praises and excessive optimism when the competitive results and performances on the court or field (or in recruitment or attendance or atmosphere or scheduling or publicity/PR/public notice or facilities or staffing) may seemingly be mediocre and below,
... or reading comments saying essentially “don’t fret the potential is there and is going to be realized soon and continuously”
... or reading comments defining results and situations as greater than they are in comparison to competitors.
So, I will continue to work on having the attitude of “good enough” ... whether I see results and situations that may actually not be objectively good, ... or whether I see results that are (occasionally) good and even great.
It is hard to do, but I will say it: losing to VMI was good enough, go Furman; losing to the 2 “big” names this year (Cincinnati, Alabama) was good enough, go Furman.
Losing to Wofford is good enough any time, go Furman.
... It’s just athletics.
... No big deal.
... Good enough.
... Good enough is good enough and always will be.
... (And If EVERYONE would have this attitude, we could go ahead and move to Division 3, probably save a lot of money, and still provide athletic opportunities for students.)
Dude who ever said anything about “goor enough”. Saying that we shouldn’t give up on the season because we lost ONE conference game is not even close to accepting “good enough”. The point is that people aren’t fair with their criticisms on here. To be honest I think a lot of people on here have been following the program for so long they just expect bad things to happen and look for negative things to talk about. A lot of you are always going to look at the season In the most negative way you possibly can. I don’t remember who but I specifically remember after the Wofford Loss in the regular season people saying we’d be lucky to finish in the top four. Learn how to be critical but fair and objective. We probably weren’t going to run the table in the conference and if you’re being honest if we lost to a good team(Wofford, ETSU, UNCG) you would be saying “we can beat the bad teams but same old Furman losing when we play anyone good.” If you read this website and you’re being honest you know that’s 100% true. We have an incredible system/team/coach. Does that mean we always play well and win games we should? No. We need to guard the ball better/be active without fouling/be better on the boards/close games Better/shoot with better consistency/ establish our depth to get the results we all want. Does that sound like someone who’s okay with being good enough? I’m just so tired of the long repetitive tangents because we lose a conference game
Regardless, good enough.
Nothing is wrong with good enough.
Go Furman.