• Furman @ VMI Jan. 20

#35704  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:48 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:37 am
20 clearly got him on the arm.
The “foul” was on Bothwell who clearly did not foul him.
 #35707  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:56 am
Maybe, but he got fouled, made his shots and we lost. They showed bad teams how to beat us. Of course it only works if we shoot crappy, but we do that about every third game or so. The big question is whether or not we can string together enough good shooting outings to get through the tournament.
 #35711  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:06 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Maybe, but he got fouled, made his shots and we lost. They showed bad teams how to beat us. Of course it only works if we shoot crappy, but we do that about every third game or so. The big question is whether or not we can string together enough good shooting outings to get through the tournament.
It should have never come down to that. Their guards penetrated all night and we couldn’t stop them. We do not have enough firepower to allow for any of our starters to totally not show. Not have a great game ok, but to get nothing its hard to overcome. Happened 2 games in a row. Hope its not a trend.
 #35713  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:23 pm
Worrisome. Seems like our guys are comfortable either attempting 3’s or going all the way in for layups/dunks. When they try to make shots from 2-10 ft it looks pretty bad (except for Hein). That is typical AAU basketball. So if your 3’s are off and the other guys sink back to protect the hoop, you’re sort of lost.

We’ll still win the regular season, but 3 dependency makes the tournament real iffy.
 #35714  by Fork457
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 pm
I find it funny that when we win close games a lot of the times all I see on this sight is “we got lucky and didn’t deserve to win” and picking out everything we didn’t do well. And when we lose close games we also didn’t deserve to win and played like crap. Was this a disappointing lose? Yes absolutely. But people saying well finish in the top four is laughable. Too many of you don’t keep up with the current teams and focus on history too much. This Is a new VMI, they are by no means a bad team and are capable of beating anyone in this conference. With that being said our defense has to really improve by March. Our offense is head and shoulders above the rest of the conference, if we can defend like we are capable this conference is ours.
 #35715  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:34 pm
Fork457 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 pm
I find it funny that when we win close games a lot of the times all I see on this sight is “we got lucky and didn’t deserve to win” and picking out everything we didn’t do well. And when we lose close games we also didn’t deserve to win and played like crap. Was this a disappointing lose? Yes absolutely. But people saying well finish in the top four is laughable. Too many of you don’t keep up with the current teams and focus on history too much. This Is a new VMI, they are by no means a bad team and are capable of beating anyone in this conference. With that being said our defense has to really improve by March. Our offense is head and shoulders above the rest of the conference, if we can defend like we are capable this conference is ours.

Honestly, I think we probably needed our cage rattled a bit. We've all expected a game like this at some point, and finally got one.
 #35720  by Sad Din
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:14 pm
All I knowis.... better get their crxp together asap or its gonna be 3 Ls in a few days.
apaladin liked this
 #35731  by edwards555
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 pm
I was pleased that the bench got 43 minutes of playing time. I would love to see us get to Ashville with at least an eight player rotation. Winning the conference tournament should be the only goal. The odds of winning the tournament with a 6 player rotation is remote
Affirm liked this
 #35747  by CharlieFU
 Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am
Furmanoid wrote:
We can and have won without shooting well. It starts with defense. If we defend the way we can, VMI gets beat.

Further, VMI is NOT a "trash" team. They beat UTC and lost to Wofford by 2. They are not the cupcake of the past. I guess everyone forgot we had to go to OT to beat them last year.
 #35749  by Roundball
 Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:31 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am
Furmanoid wrote:
We can and have won without shooting well. It starts with defense. If we defend the way we can, VMI gets beat.

Further, VMI is NOT a "trash" team. They beat UTC and lost to Wofford by 2. They are not the cupcake of the past. I guess everyone forgot we had to go to OT to beat them last year.
Va. Tech, the 16th ranked team in the nation, only beat VMI by 7 points. VMI is not a trash team.
 #35816  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:40 pm
Holy crap yes VMI is a trash team and there is no debate. They have won like 10 games per year for the past 6 years, they are a basement team in a small conference, they lost by 11 to 4-9 Gardner Webb this year, they are trash and we are playing like trash right now too
 #35834  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:40 pm
Holy crap yes VMI is a trash team and there is no debate. They have won like 10 games per year for the past 6 years, they are a basement team in a small conference, they lost by 11 to 4-9 Gardner Webb this year, they are trash and we are playing like trash right now too
But they were better than Furman on January 20, 2021, so we did good enough by losing by only 1 point.