• ETSU @ Furman Jan. 16 (Battle For First Place) ESPNU

#35527  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm
We’re pretty damn good. Either Bothwell or Mounce is pretty awesome every game. ETSU looked pretty legit, and we beat them with no real problem. Getting better and better.
Whaddaya mean no problem? That was a rock fight until we pulled away at the end. Had to watch this one on the radio but it was obvious Gurley was getting double teamed everytime he got the ball. Took what they gave him and made some nice passes/assists in the second half.

They'll prob double team Bothwell next Sat. :D
Thought the same thing FA, lol. Furmanoid must have just seem the final. 😳
 #35528  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm
We’re pretty damn good. Either Bothwell or Mounce is pretty awesome every game. ETSU looked pretty legit, and we beat them with no real problem. Getting better and better.
Whaddaya mean no problem? That was a rock fight until we pulled away at the end. Had to watch this one on the radio but it was obvious Gurley was getting double teamed everytime he got the ball. Took what they gave him and made some nice passes/assists in the second half.

They'll prob double team Bothwell next Sat. :D
Thought the same thing FA, lol. Furmanoid must have just seem the final. 😳
No I watched it. We played a team that didn’t suck, and we still won. It got close enough that we had a perfect opportunity to choke, but we didn’t. We played BETTER when the game was on the line. We let them choke. We were the better, more confident team. We’ll beat them worse next time. I’m the least purple colored glasses guy on here, and I’m starting to believe.
apaladin, Roundball liked this
 #35530  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:19 pm
Gurley did not score; they doubled down on him. Noah took advantage: 6 assists! 4 rebounds, 2 steals and a block. Only two turnovers. He found a way to help the team.

Coach recently challenged Clay and he has responded. 9 rebounds tonight.
 #35535  by FurmanFan2020
 Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:08 am
Listened to Coach Richey post game interview - he states "great defensive effort" in last 12 minutes was key to the victory. My question - Was the last 12 minutes a great defense effort by Furman or did ETSU run out of gas? Happy for the victory, an enjoyable game to watch with Furman strengthening its hold on first place in the conference.
 #35538  by Paladin82
 Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:46 am
FurmanFan2020 wrote:
Listened to Coach Richey post game interview - he states "great defensive effort" in last 12 minutes was key to the victory. My question - Was the last 12 minutes a great defense effort by Furman or did ETSU run out of gas? Happy for the victory, an enjoyable game to watch with Furman strengthening its hold on first place in the conference.
I think our great defense made them run out of gas.
cavedweller2, furman88, Roundball and 4 others liked this
 #35543  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:33 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:58 am
Found this on the etsu message board... Buc fans truly are something else!

“Absolutely ran out of gas, but we did look like the better team if we had more practice.”

Looked to me like the better team won..
Both can probably be true. That was the first game ETSU played in a while, I think.

At the same time, if Gurley and Mounce stay out of foul trouble, we are a tough team to run with for an entire game. I still do not think we've played near our best basketball, though.
 #35544  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:53 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:58 am
Found this on the etsu message board... Buc fans truly are something else!

“Absolutely ran out of gas, but we did look like the better team if we had more practice.”

Looked to me like the better team won..
The team that took a knee for the national anthem (ETSU) was not the better team, not even the more talented team, ETSU was the team that was favored to lose by 9 and lost by 12
 #35548  by FurmAlum
 Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:12 pm
I'm not a fan of kneeling for the National Anthem. America is not perfect but it's still pretty darn good.

The players get a free education if they want to study a little bit and get to play a game that they love to play. 98% of them will not make it to the NBA but they get to pursue the dream.

They get a pass because they are young. All teenagers are allowed to make some stupid decisions occasionally but it still irks me. As for the one's making millions who are doing it......
furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #35549  by FurmanFan2020
 Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 pm
Paladin82 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:46 am
FurmanFan2020 wrote:
I think our great defense made them run out of gas.
Fair point and IMO you are most likely correct.
Paladin82 liked this
 #35555  by tya1
 Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:19 pm
Gurley did not score; they doubled down on him. Noah took advantage: 6 assists! 4 rebounds, 2 steals and a block. Only two turnovers. He found a way to help the team.

Coach recently challenged Clay and he has responded. 9 rebounds tonight.
ETSU played good defense against Gurley but mainly he just had an off day shooting. He was 0-8 from the field but 5 of those misses were from three point range. He wasn't being doubled out there. Most of those were open shots. He just missed. The two point shots were good shots too. I think one was a layup miss. The good defense consisted of limiting the number of shots and possessions in the paint.

Really liked the ball movement and all the crisp passing for backdoor layups. Defensive intensity did seem to pick up the last 10 minutes.

Missing their leading scorer had to hurt ETSU, but probably not as much as Gurley going scoreless hurt the Paladins.