• Fans in Stands?

#35298  by Dinster
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 am
First time back on here in a while. Has the school announced a policy on fan attendance? 20% capacity etc.?
 #35301  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 pm
Dinster wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 am
First time back on here in a while. Has the school announced a policy on fan attendance? 20% capacity etc.?
Welcome back! To answer your question, no nothing has been said but its prolly too early. They changed the basketball game at the well a week before. They told the pep band they were playing the 4 games at the well then changed their mind. You see the trend here. I’m hoping since its outdoors and plenty of room we will be able to attend but not counting on it.
 #35302  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pm
If the numbers start falling now I could maybe imagine them being down to the September level by late February. But that wasn’t low enough for a season WITHOUT fans. We need a crazy drop in order to have a season (unless the play/don’t play criteria have changed).
 #35306  by Flagman
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:29 pm
Back in the fall, the plan was for approximately 4,500 fans in Paladin stadium. Hopefully, we can begin with that.
apaladin, QCGlue, FU69 liked this
 #35315  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:59 pm
Flagman wrote:
Back in the fall, the plan was for approximately 4,500 fans in Paladin stadium. Hopefully, we can begin with that.
I would be surprised if we have a home game with more than 1,000 fans in Paladin Stadium during Winter/Spring 2021 - unless the COVID test positivity numbers drop drastically AND the team begins with AMAZING results (not “merely” wins) and unprecedented publicity in the first 2-3 games.
 #35316  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 pm
affirm wrote:
Flagman wrote:
I would be surprised if we have a home game with more than 1,000 fans in Paladin Stadium during Winter/Spring 2021 - unless the COVID test positivity numbers drop drastically AND the team begins with AMAZING results (not “merely” wins) and unprecedented publicity in the first 2-3 games.
If we play, and more than 1,000 fans are allowed to attend, I’ll place a fairly large wager that EVERY game’s attendance will exceed 1,000 in attendance, regardless of the record. My winnings can be split 50/50 between the UFFP & the FFPA.

Name your amount & where your ‘winnings’ won’t be going.

People are HUNGRY for FCS Football!!!
 #35330  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 pm
affirm wrote:
Flagman wrote:
If we play, and more than 1,000 fans are allowed to attend, I’ll place a fairly large wager that EVERY game’s attendance will exceed 1,000 in attendance, regardless of the record. My winnings can be split 50/50 between the UFFP & the FFPA.

Name your amount & where your ‘winnings’ won’t be going.

People are HUNGRY for FCS Football!!!

Doubting that you would characterize $20 a fairly large wager. But all I said was “would be surprised”. Hopefully I will be surprised. If wagering $20, my winnings would go 100% to UFFP.
I do not think we should make this board a betting site, which is probably illegal (?).
 #35332  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 am
So are you thinking that even if FU allowed 4-5000 fans, fewer than 1000 would show up? Why would that be? The weather shouldn’t be an issue. People went to HS games and FBS games as much as they were allowed to. People won’t stay home just to watch FBS on TV. Why wouldn’t they show up?
 #35335  by Roundball
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
So are you thinking that even if FU allowed 4-5000 fans, fewer than 1000 would show up? Why would that be? The weather shouldn’t be an issue. People went to HS games and FBS games as much as they were allowed to. People won’t stay home just to watch FBS on TV. Why wouldn’t they show up?
We averaged 5,908 per game in 2019. Because of COVID, weather and football in February/March, I doubt there will be more than 2,500 at each game. Based on the present COVID numbers in Greenville, I am expecting Furman to allow only parents at the games. As the vaccine is more available, maybe the numbers will start to go down so fans are allowed. As it stands, I don’t see Furman taking the risk to allow fans.
 #35352  by Fred Garvin
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:53 pm
Just don't let the uncaring student body in and we will be fine......

I'm sure that ED will render some sort of restrictive format to tick us all off.....great group to cancel sports and announce 14 different ways to sustain the depth of the lake but will wait to the last second to announce restrictions
FU69 liked this
 #35354  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:15 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
We averaged 5,908 per game in 2019. Because of COVID, weather and football in February/March, I doubt there will be more than 2,500 at each game. Based on the present COVID numbers in Greenville, I am expecting Furman to allow only parents at the games. As the vaccine is more available, maybe the numbers will start to go down so fans are allowed. As it stands, I don’t see Furman taking the risk to allow fans.
I don’t expect them to allow fans. I’ll be pretty surprised if we play. But if it were allowed I think there might be some pretty good crowds. It’s a time of year when there isn’t much else going on. The weather may turn out to be pretty spectacular- no heat at all but maybe some wind. And most people are over the really irrational Covid fear and feel competent to avoid the stuff in a mostly empty stadium taking precautions that are now second nature.
 #35357  by Flagman
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:14 pm
Not to stir the pot, but there was no irrational fear. COVID is real and has hit several of my friends, some of whom believed that crap about it being a hoax, which may be why they caught it.
FU69 liked this
 #35358  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:26 pm
Flagman wrote:
Not to stir the pot, but there was no irrational fear. COVID is real and has hit several of my friends, some of whom believed that crap about it being a hoax, which may be why they caught it.
Back when people were afraid to go out in the yard, wearing masks in the ocean or when driving by themselves that was pretty irrational. That’s what I meant. Being outdoors on a windy spring day with a mask on 20 ft from anybody doesn’t seem too dangerous to many people anymore. It’s probably about as safe as it gets.
 #35375  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:26 pm
Flagman wrote:
Back when people were afraid to go out in the yard, wearing masks in the ocean or when driving by themselves that was pretty irrational. That’s what I meant. Being outdoors on a windy spring day with a mask on 20 ft from anybody doesn’t seem too dangerous to many people anymore. It’s probably about as safe as it gets.

I disagree with characterizing it as "irrational." Last year, especially in the spring and summer, we had very little idea how this virus moved or operated. People taking extreme precautions in light of a novel virus is not irrational in hindsight now that we know more about it.

Just like everything else, there is a level of risk associated with fans in the stands. I'm sure Furman has some protocols in place (at least, they've had enough time to figure them out) regarding the presence of fans.