#35138  by CharlieFU
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:20 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am
What freshman is ready to play? Just asking.
Oh your asking about current roster, well Hien has had some good flashes
I think Hein is going to be very good. I think he’s already very good. But I’m starting to worry that none of the other Freshmen have a ton of potential. And I think the Freshmen would kill the Sophomores! So it just doesn’t look like recruiting is going so great that we shouldn’t at least consider getting some transfers.

But this particular transfer is probably out of our league.
Incredibly shortsighted, even unfair, to question the quality of our recruiting based on this year's freshmen. We are a four year program which focuses on developing players, building them up over time. How can you even possibly know what some of these young men might do in their careers?

And you cant compare numbers as a way to analyze this. Apples and oranges. Every year is unique, every team different.
hypercycloid, PaladinPower, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #35139  by CharlieFU
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:28 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:38 am
Do you suppose colleges pay much attention to HS games anymore or do they mainly focus on travel ball? We have a Nike Elite tournament in North Augusta every summer and it’s pretty cool. I don’t even go that often but I’ve hung out pretty close to Coach K, Roy Williams, Bob Knight and even Dan Majerle. You look around and see coaches from every major and mid major you’ve ever heard of. Once our lower state runner up NA team stood in for a missing travel team and got blown out of course.
Good question. I would think our coaches have to spend time mining for talent in high schools. Good example of what they can find is our own Clay Mounce. Has become quite a player for us despite being from a small high school with little recruiting activity, as I recall. Our coaches saw something they liked, including his shooting and his raw athletic ability) He red shirted and now look at him.
 #35148  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:08 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:26 am
OK, no transfers then. But no more complaining about lack of production from the bench and lack of depth.
No deal, :D
 #35167  by tya1
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm
Stats are also driven by playing time. Back when Sibley and Croone and Rafferty were putting up big #s we had no choice but to play them.

Now we don’t. With the kind of player we typically recruit I’d say not to expect much in year 1 or 2 with one of those years possibly being a RS. Don’t forget Mounce and Gurley RS’d.

Also I wonder how the COVID issues affected this years class....

And just to pile on I think Hein will be special his Jr/Sr years.
Exactly.

There is a big difference in playing time available for freshmen joining a team with all five starters being upperclassmen and coming off consecutive 25 win seasons compared to freshmen joining a squad coming off multiple losing seasons. I am sure the recruiting pitch has changed from "come here and have an immediate chance to start" to "come here and join a proven winner, but you have to fight hard for playing time."

I wonder if the realization that playing time wasn't going to be immediate was a factor for Andrew Taylor leaving so quick. He has been a starter at Marshall since the first game he was eligible.

Lawrence and Anderson have the second and third best three point shooting percentages on the team; Lawrence's rebounds per minute is easily the best on the team, Foster's is second best; Anderson's steals per minute is by far the best on the team and his assist rate is about the same as team leader Bothwell. These guys will all be fine with experience and more playing time.
FUKA61, FurmAlum liked this
 #35201  by CharlieFU
 Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:45 pm
On Andrew Taylor. Started all 9 games this year, averaging 7+ ppg. Shooting less than 30% on 3’s. 7 rpg, 3 apg.

Averaged 10 ppg last year.

Worked out best for him and us.
 #35259  by FurmanFan2020
 Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:40 am
Would love to see CM play for Furman but believe he is already being recruited by Tennessee and UNC. What is the likelihood Furman can win a recruitment battle against P5 schools?
 #35260  by FurmanFan2020
 Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:41 am
Would love to see CM play for Furman but believe he is already being recruited by Tennessee and UNC. What is the likelihood Furman can win a recruitment battle against P5 schools?
 #35261  by Roundball
 Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:46 am
This thread is a waste of time. Coach Richey is not going to take a transfer into the program. Not going to happen.
Jasper liked this
 #35370  by CharlieFU
 Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:38 pm
Mills is headed to Fla State