• Caleb Mills

#35055  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:54 pm
Caleb Mills AAC pre-season POY is transferring to be closer to home

His hometown is 48mins from FU.....

Had several offers from SoCon teams as well as CU, Winthrop, CoFC, etc.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
20m
Houston's Caleb Mills will transfer, per release. Was the American Athletic Conference Preseason Player of the Year.

Mills: “This decision allows me to play closer to home and is best for me and my family.”
 #35057  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:50 pm
VMI and Furman are the only 2 SoCon schools without a transfer on their current rosters. This would be a good time to see this change as far as FU is concerned.
 #35058  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:02 pm
He plays PG. With Hunter gone next year...

Mills+Both+Gurley+Hein+Slaw+bench = NCAA run

and if Mounce were to come back... OMG
FUKA61, apaladin liked this
 #35062  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:33 pm
If Mounce could come back wouldn't that same option enable Hunter to come back too?
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #35063  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:13 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:50 pm
VMI and Furman are the only 2 SoCon schools without a transfer on their current rosters. This would be a good time to see this change as far as FU is concerned.
I can think of a couple of times in the distant past, but when (& who) is the last time that Furman had a basketball regular starter who came to Furman as a transfer? Do we even do this nowadays?
 #35064  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 pm
We do not have a scholarship available for next season
 #35066  by Paul C
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:03 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
As of today. Wonder if any upper classmen that have seen little playing time will follow the pattern of Jalen Williams, Jon Jean and Tre Clark....
 #35067  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:14 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Remember scholarships are renewed on a year to year basis so it could be done. Remember also the granting of an extra year for everyone so some provisions will have to be made for that. Would FU do it, prolly not.
 #35068  by Roundball
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:41 am
I hope Coach Richey sticks to his gut and heart on this. Build from within. Build the man. No transfers.
 #35071  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:16 am
Roundball wrote:
I hope Coach Richey sticks to his gut and heart on this. Build from within. Build the man. No transfers.
Clemson sure wishes Ohio State felt that way.

If we have a lack of depth, it must be that build from within isn’t working out so great. I don’t think it’s a coaching problem. I think it’s that we are only able to get 1.5-2 recruits per class who can actually play at the level we aspire to no matter how hard Coach tries to build them. If we decide to be the only team around that won’t take transfers we will never be any better than we are right now. And we haven’t exactly established a dynasty.

Transfers aren’t necessarily bad, unbuildable people. They are usually kids who just made a mistake when they were given the hard sell by some recruiter. In this case the kid wants to come home. Maybe there is something else going on, but I’ve seen it happen over and over again that these young kids really do want to go home. Or sometimes they just don’t fit the system where they are. Augusta U. picked up a 7’1” kid who can really play from Ga. Southern. He was going to rot on their bench because they didn’t know how to use him in “today’s game”.

When you look at the roster, it looks like we are approaching a cliff in 22-23. We could use some transfers.
 #35073  by FUKA61
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:58 am
The four incoming recruits hopefully will fill most of our needs. Does anyone have any info about how they are performing in their senior year.
 #35074  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:13 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:16 am
Roundball wrote:
Clemson sure wishes Ohio State felt that way.

If we have a lack of depth, it must be that build from within isn’t working out so great. I don’t think it’s a coaching problem. I think it’s that we are only able to get 1.5-2 recruits per class who can actually play at the level we aspire to no matter how hard Coach tries to build them. If we decide to be the only team around that won’t take transfers we will never be any better than we are right now. And we haven’t exactly established a dynasty.

Transfers aren’t necessarily bad, unbuildable people. They are usually kids who just made a mistake when they were given the hard sell by some recruiter. In this case the kid wants to come home. Maybe there is something else going on, but I’ve seen it happen over and over again that these young kids really do want to go home. Or sometimes they just don’t fit the system where they are. Augusta U. picked up a 7’1” kid who can really play from Ga. Southern. He was going to rot on their bench because they didn’t know how to use him in “today’s game”.

When you look at the roster, it looks like we are approaching a cliff in 22-23. We could use some transfers.
Wait a minute. We have averaged 25 wins the past 3 seasons and we're picked to win the SoCon this year. That's very good. We've signed 4 good recruits in the early signing period. We have a freshman that's ready to play. I'm not saying we should completely rule out a transfer if it fits but IMHO Coach should keep doing what he's doing.
 #35075  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am
What freshman is ready to play? Just asking.
 #35078  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:25 am
apaladin wrote:
Jaylen Pegues looks like a player, should come in a contend for starting PG role right away
 #35079  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Oh your asking about current roster, well Hien has had some good flashes
FU69 liked this