• FU @ (No Longer Undefeated) UTC (Dec. 30)

#34892  by purplehorse
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:58 pm
Gurley fouls out. Hien comes in and gets two inside baskets and a good pass to Slawson and final FT. Bothwell misses 2 FT but then hits final 4.

We only hit 4 3’s which I doubt will happen another time this year.

We found a way to win an important conference game on the road.

Hien saved us. He is not flashy but knows how to put the ball in the basket.

Good overall win. A team win.
furpop16, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #34893  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:04 pm
Baptiste was a huge add for UTC. He had 18. Good gutsy win. Kudos to Bothwell. After missing 2 big free throws he comes back and makes 4 in a row with the game on the line.
Roundball liked this
 #34896  by Furman Sports Report
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:38 pm
http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2020/ ... opple.html

ICYMI, here's a story on Mike Bothwell I did for The Greenville News just before Christmas. No jinx for Bothwell today thankfully - even though he couldn't buy a drawn foul most of the day. :)

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... u7IqXQ-8r8
Chuckles, Roundball, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #34900  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:17 am
About the only thing that really worries me about this team is the tendency of Mounce and Gurley to get in foul trouble. To me, that's Furman's biggest achilles heel.

Richey - and I'm not second guessing him - also seems willing to run those two guys back out with four fouls. A few times this season we've seen Gurley or Mounce foul out with a lot of time left on the clock in a close game.

It was good to see Hein step in late and pick up the slack. I think having another guy available to come off the bench and create scoring chances will be big for us this season.
 #34901  by NEPA
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:47 am
More worried about covid hitting team, Mounce and Gurley wii be ok. Congrats to HC BR on big road win and big productive minutes played by freshman Hien
Roundball liked this
 #34903  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:09 am
We played a different game against UTC. We took 14 threes instead of 25-30. I wonder if that was a game plan just for UTC or what. It seemed like the result was that we didn’t have really long droughts with no points at all and there were long streaks when we scored every time. UTC had some runs, but mostly where we would have one empty possession and they would hit a couple of threes around it.

Maybe we have to be three happy to upset the big time ooc teams. But to consistently beat the SoCon, I like this style. No losing games you should win due to bad luck at the arc.
bj93, furpop16, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #34906  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:33 am
Furmanoid wrote:
We played a different game against UTC. We took 14 threes instead of 25-30. I wonder if that was a game plan just for UTC or what. It seemed like the result was that we didn’t have really long droughts with no points at all and there were long streaks when we scored every time. UTC had some runs, but mostly where we would have one empty possession and they would hit a couple of threes around it.

Maybe we have to be three happy to upset the big time ooc teams. But to consistently beat the SoCon, I like this style. No losing games you should win due to bad luck at the arc.
I think yesterday was an exception. You’re not going to win many games these days when you get outscored by 30 points from 3 point land.
 #34907  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 am
The Jackal wrote:
About the only thing that really worries me about this team is the tendency of Mounce and Gurley to get in foul trouble. To me, that's Furman's biggest achilles heel.

Richey - and I'm not second guessing him - also seems willing to run those two guys back out with four fouls. A few times this season we've seen Gurley or Mounce foul out with a lot of time left on the clock in a close game.

It was good to see Hein step in late and pick up the slack. I think having another guy available to come off the bench and create scoring chances will be big for us this season.
Unfortunately I don’t know where that other guy besides Hein is going to come from. Not saying someone won’t step up but at least right now no one seems ready.
 #34908  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:09 am
Furmanoid wrote:

Sounds like from Richey's comments that UTC was defending the perimeter, so there was little use in chunking up a bunch of 3s.

UTC's game plan appeared to be to take away the 3 point shot. Furman, it appears, made the adjustment and attacked the basket. It's good to be able to have both weapons in your arsenal.
FUBeAR, AstroDin, furpop16 and 2 others liked this
 #34909  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:15 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 am
The Jackal wrote:

Unfortunately I don’t know where that other guy besides Hein is going to come from. Not saying someone won’t step up but at least right now no one seems ready.

I mean, it's a bit better than we had it last year. We really didn't have a big man that came off the bench.
 #34910  by RaleighDin
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:39 am
Along these lines, it was interesting that Joe Anderson only got in for about a minute, while Colin Kenney appears to have earned himself a long look from the coaching staff. Will be interesting to keep an eye on those backup guard minutes, especially when Jaylon Pugh is available again.

Coach talked a lot about playing 9 early on, but I think with conference play here, we'll see it shrink back to 7 depending on foul trouble / who's got the hot hand.

Last comment - was nice to see Jonny Lawrence get a little run. Really excited about his skillset with that stroke, and he appears to be pretty quick for his size as well. It is, however, very apparent that he's not close to strong enough yet. If he keeps putting in the work, I could see him breaking out next year.
hypercycloid, AstroDin liked this
 #34911  by purplehorse
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:23 pm
Gurleys’s 3rd foul was at mid court. He just needs to play smarter.

We really need Hunter to be able to hit the wide open 3. He is open so often. I think that will be one of the keys to our conference season.
 #34914  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:29 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

Agree F'oid. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Nothing wrong with taking 3's in the proper situation, but relying totally on 3's is a recipe for disaster unless you have way above average shooters and even if you do then never force them. UTC overplayed the 3 and we adjusted and took it to the hoop. I also like the idea of taking it inside the last 6-7 minutes of the game.