#3402  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:39 am
In addition to our game

ETSU @ UT
UTC @ the Citadel
VMI @ Wofford
Jacksonville @ Mercer
Samford @ FSU

ETSU is a 4 pm kick. Everyone else is 6pm except for Samford, who is 7:20.
 #3403  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:42 am
There aren't a ton of other games to keep an eye on this week, but circle Colgate @ New Hampshire. We see Colgate next weekend and UNH is coming off an embarrassing home loss to Maine.
 #3404  by Paul C
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:01 am
Be interesting to see how Fla St comes out vs a talented Samford squad. Do the Seminoles let last week's disaster vs Va Tech drag them down or do they rally and blow the Bulldogs out of the house? I could see this game being tantalizingly close down the wire if FSU let's the VT game get in their heads.
 #3406  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:59 am
Paul C wrote:
Be interesting to see how Fla St comes out vs a talented Samford squad. Do the Seminoles let last week's disaster vs Va Tech drag them down or do they rally and blow the Bulldogs out of the house? I could see this game being tantalizingly close down the wire if FSU let's the VT game get in their heads.
Having just been embarrassed on national TV, I expect FSU will look to take it out their frustrations on someone.

I think Samford still has some questions on defense. I don't know if we will know much about the Bulldogs (other than Hodges is good) before next week's tilt with Mercer.
 #3407  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
There aren't a ton of other games to keep an eye on this week, but circle Colgate @ New Hampshire. We see Colgate next weekend and UNH is coming off an embarrassing home loss to Maine.
UNH's star QB was injured early in their game against Maine.
 #3413  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
UNH's star QB was injured early in their game against Maine.
That will hurt them, but their biggest loss this season is that their AD’s Term on the FCS Playoff Selection Committe expires this month.
fufanatic, Jasper liked this
 #3415  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:48 am
The Jackal wrote:
I think UTC at the Citadel is very interesting. Not bc it will probably determine the conferenc title (I sure hope it doesn't).. but bc Our rival would be 0-2 in conference if they lost ! Schadenfreude and all. Be interested in these two 'middle-tier' teams - I expect Chatt to be improved this year. By this Saturday we will already know a lot about Citadel - lost to Woff, how do they do against Chatt? That's good barometer games... versus most of us who play a Clemson or so and it's hard to gauge what the game means

Appreciate someone noting Colgate vs UNH - I guess I want Colgate to win as that would sink UNH and give us more credit for beating a 'good' team in Colgate. That was one issue we had last year sweating the playoffs at 7-4... what quality wins did we have?. We lost to Sam and Woff and Elon (probably the top three perceived teams we playd) in reg season who were our top games.. we did beat a decent WCU team.. and we beat Colgate.. Thus why we were worried we might get left out of 2017 playoff. I want Colgate to look good coming off a UNH win and then we kill em. Not sure how likely it is they beat UNH
 #3416  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I think UTC at the Citadel is very interesting. Not bc it will probably determine the conferenc title (I sure hope it doesn't).. but bc Our rival would be 0-2 in conference if they lost ! Schadenfreude and all. Be interested in these two 'middle-tier' teams - I expect Chatt to be improved this year. By this Saturday we will already know a lot about Citadel - lost to Woff, how do they do against Chatt? That's good barometer games... versus most of us who play a Clemson or so and it's hard to gauge what the game means

Appreciate someone noting Colgate vs UNH - I guess I want Colgate to win as that would sink UNH and give us more credit for beating a 'good' team in Colgate. That was one issue we had last year sweating the playoffs at 7-4... what quality wins did we have?. We lost to Sam and Woff and Elon (probably the top three perceived teams we playd) in reg season who were our top games.. we did beat a decent WCU team.. and we beat Colgate.. Thus why we were worried we might get left out of 2017 playoff. I want Colgate to look good coming off a UNH win and then we kill em. Not sure how likely it is they beat UNH

Watching the Citadel Saturday, they exhibited a lot of the poor defensive fundamentals they started to show last year. I got the impression last season that the Citadel sort of gave up after being eliminated from post season contention, and then ran into a buzzsaw in Greenville.

If the Cadets go down 2 games early, they may fold it up.
 #3417  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:59 am
Paul C wrote:
Having just been embarrassed on national TV, I expect FSU will look to take it out their frustrations on someone.

I think Samford still has some questions on defense. I don't know if we will know much about the Bulldogs (other than Hodges is good) before next week's tilt with Mercer.
Would be stunned to see Samford do much on O against that FSU D. They were impressive Monday night against Tech despite being put in awful situations by the Seminole O. Can the Samford D keep forcing the FSU O into tough situations? We will see, but my guess is blow out in the 52-10 range.
 #3419  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Watching the Citadel Saturday, they exhibited a lot of the poor defensive fundamentals they started to show last year. I got the impression last season that the Citadel sort of gave up after being eliminated from post season contention, and then ran into a buzzsaw in Greenville.

I started seeing the decline in their D in 2016. They gave up 32 PPG in the final 3 Regular Season games before being eliminated in the their 1st Playoff game. In 2015, they only gave up 22 ppg in that same stretch & and won a Playoff game before losing a Defense-dominated nail-biter in Round 2 of the Playoffs .

The bellhops last ‘good win’ was in early November of 2016 (1 year & 10 months ago). Since then they have only beaten 3 bottom of the SoCon Teams (ETSU, VMI, and 2017’s ChattDisaster), a D2 Team, and a Team going non-schollie. If Chatt’s D can play ASSIGNMENT Football (not their best quality in the past) this week, I think they will mash CIT at home. If that happens, the drums of a Coaching change in ChuckTown will start a-beatin’. They can only faintly be heard right in the distance now, but, IMO, that’s about to change.
 #3421  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:00 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I started seeing the decline in their D in 2016. They gave up 32 PPG in the final 3 Regular Season games before being eliminated in the their 1st Playoff game. In 2015, they only gave up 22 ppg in that same stretch & and won a Playoff game before losing a Defense-dominated nail-biter in Round 2 of the Playoffs .

The bellhops last ‘good win’ was in early November of 2016 (1 year & 10 months ago). Since then they have only beaten 3 bottom of the SoCon Teams (ETSU, VMI, and 2017’s ChattDisaster), a D2 Team, and a Team going non-schollie. If Chatt’s D can play ASSIGNMENT Football (not their best quality in the past) this week, I think they will mash CIT at home. If that happens, the drums of a Coaching change in ChuckTown will start a-beatin’. They can only faintly be heard right in the distance now, but, IMO, that’s about to change.
Their issues are systemic. They've got athletes, but there's a lot fundamentally wrong with their defensive approach in my opinion. A lot of guys coming in trying to basically knock the ball carrier over with their shoulder.

I imagine Wofford could have won going away had they stopped throwing the ball to the wrong color jersey.
 #3424  by furman88
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:57 am
The bellhops I know were never solid on this hire and have their tom toms ready. I think Clay is happy but think he was in consideration at some point. NO.
 #3486  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:03 am
An aside. Arguably the biggest non Furman/Elon game in the FCS this week is Eastern Washintong at Northern Arizona.

You may think that will be a good dustup that may impact the Big Sky standings. Nope. The two teams have agreed that the contest is an out of conference game (despite both teams being in conference).
 #3487  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:03 am
An aside. Arguably the biggest non Furman/Elon game in the FCS this week is Eastern Washintong at Northern Arizona.

You may think that will be a good dustup that may impact the Big Sky standings. Nope. The two teams have agreed that the contest is an out of conference game (despite both teams being in conference).
Yet, Northern Arizona’s game against North Dakota, who is NOT in the Big Sky Conference, DOES count as a Conference game for the Lumberjacks.

Makes perfect sense.

Thus, I have decided that Furman & Mercer’s games against Samford are NOT SoCon games unless Samford loses those games. In the unlikely event that Samford wins against either Furman or Mercer, or even more unlikely, both; Furman may count their game against Colgate or Elon, whichever they choose, following the Samford game, as a SoCon game. Mercer has the same options regarding their games with Jacksonville and Yale, after they have concluded their game with Yale. A win or wins for Samford, thus, will NOT count as a SoCon win.

Makes perfect sense.
furman88, QCGlue, Jasper liked this
 #3497  by Jasper
 Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:21 am
A in logic for the BeAR.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.