• Shedule Announced

#3461  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:53 pm
Only games we didn't know about is at Elon and CSU at home and 2 more non-D1 games. Not a very good schedule IMHO. Ok but not great. Anytime you have more non-D1 games than you do Power 5 it is not good.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/landing/index

Power 5 games Wofford 6 Furman 1
Affirm liked this
 #3463  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:16 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:53 pm
Only games we didn't know about is at Elon and CSU at home and 2 more non-D1 games. Not a very good schedule IMHO. Ok but not great. Anytime you have more non-D1 games than you do Power 5 it is not good.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/landing/index

Power 5 games Wofford 6 Furman 1
I tend to agree w apaladin on this. I agree with the comparison with the Wofford schedule - unless we win ALL those games against BJU, GWebb, NGU, Southern Wesleyan, Upstate, CSU, in which case I might be satisfied depending on what we do against the rest of the entire schedule plus post-season. Considering those 6 named above, + UNCA as a 7th to add to those 6, makes it look like we want a very localized schedule. Actually, I like having UNCA any time (and would like Winthrop again), but I think at least 3 of those other 6 schedule slots should have been considerably higher-profile schools instead.
 #3464  by fufanatic
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:01 pm
Would love to be 10-2 out of conference with an upset of either Loyola or LSU.
 #3468  by youwouldno
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:43 pm
Three non D-I games is too many. I'm not in the camp of needing to play a ton of P5 opponents, but that's a quarter of the entire OOC schedule basically being exhibition games that don't help the team develop and don't interest fans. Total waste of time . . . one to start the season is fine, but that's about it.
 #3469  by Paul C
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:46 pm
Why are you using Power 5 in a basketball context. It’s irrelevant and just an excuse to be a whiny bitch.

Villanova is a more impressive opponent than virtually every “P5”school and Illinois (Chi) is a great opponent this year. 2 Final Four participants on the schedule.
FUKA61, gman, Jasper and 4 others liked this
 #3471  by Jasper
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:55 pm
Paul C wrote:
Why are you using Power 5 in a basketball context. It’s irrelevant and just an excuse to be a whiny bitch.

Villanova is a more impressive opponent than virtually every “P5”school and Illinois (Chi) is a great opponent this year. 2 Final Four participants on the schedule.
Villanova and Loyola of Chicago are fabulous names for us to play this particular season. Cant get much better than that. But you raise a good point. Is there such a thing as a Power 5 in basketball? I thought that was a football designation. I can think of at least 7 or 8 BB leagues that could easily produce a final 4 team - maybe more.
 #3472  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:41 pm
Yes Power 5 is mostly a football term. Call them the 5 major conferences, big boys, whatever. Doesn't change anything. Yes Villanova is a huge game but still not as recognizable as a Big Boy.. Loyola-Chicago is only a big game because of their cinderella run last year. Chances are their success will not continue. Agree with everyone else that 3 non D1 is too many. 25% of the OOC and 10% of the overall schedule. One is ok, 3 too many. No interest from anyone in these games. At least only one is the NCCAA.(National Christian College Athletic Association). 3 last year.
 #3473  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:28 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:55 pm
Paul C wrote:

Villanova and Loyola of Chicago are fabulous names for us to play this particular season. Cant get much better than that. But you raise a good point. Is there such a thing as a Power 5 in basketball? I thought that was a football designation. I can think of at least 7 or 8 BB leagues that could easily produce a final 4 team - maybe more.
No one is complaining about playing Loyola of Chicago, although fabulous does not seem to apply. And why Paul C said Illinois (Chicago)?? That proves that the general sports public is not very familiar with either of those fine Chicago schools. On the other issue, I imagine apaladin meant “better known” schools when he said Power 5, instead of Power 5 literally. Many well known schools are not Power 5 but may be better candidates for our schedule for various reasons than about 6 of the ones we’re playing OOC. For example: Army, Navy, AF, USF, UCF, Tulane, Rice, Houston, George Mason, George Washington, Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Gonzaga, Tulsa, Cincinnati, Penn, UNLV, Virginia Commonwealth, W&M, Richmond, UConn men, Dayton, Memphis, etc., etc., etc., etc., .... But I do expect we also could have picked up some more Power 5s besides LSU. Are schools like Rutgers, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Southern Cal, Utah, Northwestern, etc., really so impossible for us to schedule an away game with, if not an occasional home game? Yeah, I know this is a lot of griping, but it sure has been a long time since we won conference and went to NCAA Tourney; so we should at least be able to have a schedule of well-known schools or of somewhat well-known ones in interesting places.
Last edited by Affirm on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #3474  by Jasper
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:26 pm
I'm going to stick with the adjective. I think playing the current National Champion and another Final Four team that was the big, feel good story of the year is pretty "fabulous". And that was not the first rodeo for either Villanova or Loyola, both previously national champs. I understand the gripes about playing these small, religious affiliate schools. It appears to be pointless. It looks to me that much of the rest of the OOC schedule is built around the factors of location and travel costs.
 #3475  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:44 pm
Correct about Loyola being a former NC. albeit over 50 years ago. I guess Loyola fans say the same thing about Furman. They are an NCAA tournament team albeit 40 years ago, LOL.
 #3476  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 pm
The fact is we have been playing similar type schedules for years. How many NCAA tournament bids have we gotten?
Zero. Why not try something different and schedule a really tough schedule and see if that has any positive effect come tournament time. Wouldn't hurt.
 #3477  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:26 pm
I'm going to stick with the adjective. I think playing the current National Champion and another Final Four team that was the big, feel good story of the year is pretty "fabulous". And that was not the first rodeo for either Villanova or Loyola, both previously national champs. I understand the gripes about playing these small, religious affiliate schools. It appears to be pointless. It looks to me that much of the rest of the OOC schedule is built around the factors of location and travel costs.
Playing the winner of the final four is “fabulous”. Playing a team that got to the final four is “very good”.
 #3478  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:54 pm
One other thing when comparing WC schedule to FU. Besides playing 6 games against the top 5 conferences they also have scheduled a game with one of the Big in-state schools, something we haven't been able to do. BTW all but 2 of our 12 OOC games are within 3 hours of Greenville.
Affirm liked this
 #3480  by Fessor
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm
I grew up with home-and-home with both Clemson and Carolina, when Carolina was top 5 in the nation.

So, needless to say, I'm not too excited about Bob Jones, USC-Spartanburg, et al.
Affirm liked this
 #3481  by Fessor
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 pm
The fact is we have been playing similar type schedules for years. How many NCAA tournament bids have we gotten?
Zero. Why not try something different and schedule a really tough schedule and see if that has any positive effect come tournament time. Wouldn't hurt.
It would get the coach fired for losing records.

When it comes to scheduling, the inmates are running the prison, as they say.