• Nine Weeks

#34589  by Flagman
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:42 pm
Until kick-off.
apaladin, FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #34590  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:53 pm
So...it’s kinda like Mid-June in Mid-December.

OK, so that means, like, this has been a complete hemispheric reversal...

#34642  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:21 pm
I sure hope we get to play this spring. I know some FBS fans are wishing their teams had waited until the spring. In particular, the Mid-American Conference and my 2-time alma mater Miami (OH) went back and forth fall vs. spring before deciding to play this fall. Miami ended up playing a total of 3 games; basically a wasted year.
 #34666  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:12 pm
Weather won’t be a problem around here but could be in the northern and western states for sure.
 #34669  by Flagman
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:48 pm
apaladin wrote:
Weather won’t be a problem around here but could be in the northern and western states for sure.
Are you sure?

It might not be Fargo cold, but February and early March can still be cold (and wet).
 #34673  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:27 am
Flagman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Are you sure?

It might not be Fargo cold, but February and early March can still be cold (and wet).
Yes, pretty sure. Remember when we used to have a baseball team? They started around Feb. 15th and they seemed to have pretty good weather albeit cool sometimes. The average high temp for February is 57 so even higher by the end of February when we kickoff(hopefully).
 #34674  by Furmanoid
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:54 am
It’s gonna feel a lot more like fall than fall does.
dornb liked this
 #34681  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:35 am
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Are you sure?

Yes, pretty sure. Remember when we used to have a baseball team? They started around Feb. 15th and they seemed to have pretty good weather albeit cool sometimes. The average high temp for February is 57 so even higher by the end of February when we kickoff(hopefully).
This is not scientific, but in my sector of the South, March is the coldest month of the year. Maybe not days of prolonged cold, but when you get a butt puckering wind chill or freak snow storm, often it is in March.

What we are not going to see is the lengthy extreme heat of August and September. This will probably be more like playing a season in November and December.

It'll also be a little unique with daylight savings. It often starts getting dark around 5:30 and we'll have a road game against VMI in a stadium without lights.
 #34683  by Furmanoid
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:03 am
You notice all Big 10 games are at noon so they don’t freeze. They only do the occasional night game for TV. I went to one at the Shoe, and they were using portable lights.
 #34693  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:35 am
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Are you sure?

This is not scientific, but in my sector of the South, March is the coldest month of the year. Maybe not days of prolonged cold, but when you get a butt puckering wind chill or freak snow storm, often it is in March.

What we are not going to see is the lengthy extreme heat of August and September. This will probably be more like playing a season in November and December.

It'll also be a little unique with daylight savings. It often starts getting dark around 5:30 and we'll have a road game against VMI in a stadium without lights.
I hear this all the time especially from old timers like me about how much snow we get in March. Back in the day this was pretty true. I remember when I was a kid it snowed 19 days out of the 31 days in March. IIRC 3 or 4 were significant. The last time we had a significant snow in March was over 25 years ago(1993). I really don’t remember the last time it snowed in March after 1993. The average March temp slowly increases from 60 to 69 from the 1st to 31st. The average low slowly increases from 41 on March 1st to 48 on March 31st. The chances of getting any snow in March in these parts is pretty slim if not non-existent. Still could but highly unlikely. In fact it seems like our winters have slowly gotten warmer and warmer so snow in any month is pretty rare in the Greenville area. On the VMI game remember the days start getting longer on December 21st so by the time we play at VMI it won’t be getting dark at 5:30, more like 6:30-7. Sunset on December 21 is 5:22, on February 27th it’s 6:24.
 #34742  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:00 pm
First I've seen this (though I don't look hard) but Eastern Washington released their fall 2021 schedule.

Completely unrelated to Furman, but it is encouraging to see an FCS team with an 11 game slate, including an FBS game. So, that gives me some home that this fall we should at least expect to see a somewhat normalish attempt at a season.

PalaDad liked this
 #34747  by FUPlayer74
 Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:04 pm
If we're playing football in Feb, you'll not hear complaining about the weather from me.
FUBeAR liked this
 #34748  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:35 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:04 pm
If we're playing football in Feb, you'll not hear complaining about the weather from me.
Nor I. I've been to Bozeman, MT, Fargo, ND, Flagstaff, AZ in December. Plus, I sat through a snow storm (in Paladin Stadium).