• Furman @ Winthrop Dec. 19

#34653  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:18 am
Don’t need to think about UTC and Mercer just yet. Need to get by SC State on Monday.
You are correct!
 #34655  by purplehorse
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:36 pm
When does baseball season start? 😏
You must have missed the news. They had a vote about getting rid of baseball and the result was 1000 to zero in light of no baseball. Folks wanted an audit but it did not happen.
apaladin liked this
 #34659  by NEPA
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:11 am
Everybody take a deep breath ,even the negative Nancy's, team has a good young coach and experienced players. The goal should be to win the conference tournament and qualify for March Madness , everything else is icing on the cake. Go Dins
 #34660  by Furmanoid
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:50 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:11 pm
We’re just lacking in size, depth, and dependable shooting skills. That has been kind of obvious. I don’t think we lack effort. And we didn’t quit. We still do amazingly well considering some pretty clear limitations. We should still win our conference. We are several years away from being really good.
How long has it been since we were NOT "(at least) several years away from being really good"?
Do not tell me that we were really good in any year that we failed to win the SoCon Tournament. Or if you do, you'd better have some extremely believable justification and extremely clear explanation.
I think that we need to learn to just be satisfied with being "good enough". We have ALWAYS been "good enough".
No I don’t think we’ve been really good lately. I got skewered for comparing us to a good DII team a couple of years ago. But look, I want to believe our coach really is one of the best up and comers in the country. If I believe that, then it follows that we are improving. We didn’t just bring guys back. We brought improved versions of those guys back because that’s what coaching does. And I want to believe that given our pretty good press coverage the last couple of years, we’ve been able to recruit better, although aside from Hien it isn’t obvious so far. I don’t think we have entered a period of inevitable decline because one guy graduated. If that’s the case, our coach isn’t so hot.
 #34662  by Fuonetime
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:54 am
Hey! Wha happened? I thought we were ranked number 3 in mid major poll with 2 close losses to Power Major teams. All we needed was better rebounding and yet we were blown out by Win-throp. Wha happened?
 #34663  by cavedweller2
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:57 am
We lost. They scored more points.
 #34667  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:19 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Hey! Wha happened? I thought we were ranked number 3 in mid major poll with 2 close losses to Power Major teams. All we needed was better rebounding and yet we were blown out by Win-throp. Wha happened?
Fwiw Winthrop was #5.
 #34668  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:38 pm
NEPA wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:11 am
Everybody take a deep breath ,even the negative Nancy's, team has a good young coach and experienced players. The goal should be to win the conference tournament and qualify for March Madness , everything else is icing on the cake. Go Dins
The goal, according to you, is the same as it has been the last 41 years: win conference tournament and qualify for March Madness. “Everything else is icing on the cake.”

So according to you, we have never achieved our goal in 41 years!

And what is the “everything else” that you refer to going to be? It seems like you assume the goal you state is definitely going to be achieved this year.

That goal may not be achieved.

I would say “having a ‘good enough’ program” is the goal and winning SoCon would be icing on the cake. And winning after that would be icing upon icing.

We always have the cake as long as we have a program. We will always be “good enough” as long as we have a program. We just might have to ALWAYS settle for “plain cake” that is un-iced.

Winning the So-Con and qualifying for March Madness would be icing on the cake. Let’s just enjoy the cake that we have. Let’s realize it IS “good enough”.
 #34670  by CharlieFU
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:28 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:34 pm
This is when u miss a guy like Jordan Lyons.

He could go 0-10 but when the game was on the line he was lights out
We missed Croone.
We missed Sibley.
We missed Acox.
We missed Rafferty.
We miss Lyons.

We will be fine. Mike Bothwell is every bit the clutch player Lyons was.
 #34671  by CharlieFU
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:19 pm
Everything that was Furman’s now belongs to Winthrop. No more national pub. No more over-rated rankings, no more national tweets about our games, no more state publicity. Furman can now go back to just being another middle of the road team that won’t be heard from for a while. This one loss did a lot of damage to the program.
Oh please. I’m as disappointed as anyone but such statements don’t help anyone. Thomas Watson of IBM said “Success is found on the far side failure.” Pick ourselves up, learn from it and move on. These losses do NOT hurt the program in the long run, and certainly do not ruin what could be a very good season
apaladin liked this
 #34672  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:14 pm
FWIW- I think Winthrop has a very good chance at going undefeated this year. They only played 3 ooc games and I really don’t see anyone in the Big South that can play with them. Of course they could very well be an upset along the way.
TeamRankings dropped FU to #61 after yesterday’s debacle. 😳
Kenpom has FU at #72
 #34676  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Fuonetime wrote:
Fwiw Winthrop was #5.
I don't pay as much attention to Fu bball as most of ya'll but let me throw in a general observation - If we are well coached the team will learn from this and improve ! The goal IS to win the SoCon (have we done it recently, ? NO, that's an understatement). But point is good coaches and players get better after losses in the long run. (They also need to learn not to let one loss (bama) become two losses !). Look at film, see where you can improve and learn. After doing that, forget the past game so it does not cost you the next game.

That will be the interesting thing to watch going forward. Let's see what happens through mid-January. Also, UNCG and Furman were supposed to be the top 2 in SoCon. UNCG looks vulnerable - Chatt may be the big contender w us
 #34677  by cavedweller2
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:58 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Fuonetime wrote:
Fwiw Winthrop was #5.
I don't pay as much attention to Fu bball as most of ya'll but let me throw in a general observation - If we are well coached the team will learn from this and improve ! The goal IS to win the SoCon (have we done it recently, ? NO, that's an understatement). But point is good coaches and players get better after losses in the long run. (They also need to learn not to let one loss (bama) become two losses !). Look at film, see where you can improve and learn. After doing that, forget the past game so it does not cost you the next game.
Sounds like my golf game. I tell myself "forget that last triple bogey so it doesn't lead to another one."
gofurman liked this