• Furman @ Winthrop Dec. 19

#34635  by Sad Din
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:34 pm
This is when u miss a guy like Jordan Lyons.

He could go 0-10 but when the game was on the line he was lights out
 #34638  by DoomedDin1127
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:44 pm
We’re all upset, fair, but let’s look forward and get ready to see what happens in conference play. Winthrop is better than anyone in the SoCon in my humble opinion. We had a tough a** ooc schedule, and although we had some disappointments along the way, we pushed ourselves. We could be like other teams in our conference and murder straight DII teams to build up our record. Instead we faced some quality programs. Even the DII opponents we had are quality. Teams sh*t the bed sometimes. After the UA loss, we weren’t looking for “flex” wins anyway. It’s time to finish out our ooc play, and have fun in the SoCon.

Also, be careful being negative Nancys on here. CBR already called us out in the past for being sore before. Now’s time to come together and look forward. I’m upset, but I still believe in this team. Go Dins!
 #34639  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:53 pm
I think CBR hit the nail on the head. “It looked like we were still moping around from Tuesday”.
QCGlue liked this
 #34640  by Sad Din
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:00 pm
DoomedDin1127 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:44 pm
We’re all upset, fair, but let’s look forward and get ready to see what happens in conference play. Winthrop is better than anyone in the SoCon in my humble opinion. We had a tough a** ooc schedule, and although we had some disappointments along the way, we pushed ourselves. We could be like other teams in our conference and murder straight DII teams to build up our record. Instead we faced some quality programs. Even the DII opponents we had are quality. Teams sh*t the bed sometimes. After the UA loss, we weren’t looking for “flex” wins anyway. It’s time to finish out our ooc play, and have fun in the SoCon.

Also, be careful being negative Nancys on here. CBR already called us out in the past for being sore before. Now’s time to come together and look forward. I’m upset, but I still believe in this team. Go Dins!
Negative Nancys?? Good one :D
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #34641  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:11 pm
We’re just lacking in size, depth, and dependable shooting skills. That has been kind of obvious. I don’t think we lack effort. And we didn’t quit. We still do amazingly well considering some pretty clear limitations. We should still win our conference. We are several years away from being really good.
 #34644  by Paladin101
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:45 pm
Just curious what makes you think we “should” win the conference? Last year we lost first round with arguably a better team than this year.
 #34646  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 pm
Paladin101 wrote:
Just curious what makes you think we “should” win the conference? Last year we lost first round with arguably a better team than this year.
I think this team is better, and I think the conference got worse. And I said “should” not “will”. I think we should have won last year.
 #34647  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:11 pm
We’re just lacking in size, depth, and dependable shooting skills. That has been kind of obvious. I don’t think we lack effort. And we didn’t quit. We still do amazingly well considering some pretty clear limitations. We should still win our conference. We are several years away from being really good.
How long has it been since we were NOT "(at least) several years away from being really good"?
Do not tell me that we were really good in any year that we failed to win the SoCon Tournament. Or if you do, you'd better have some extremely believable justification and extremely clear explanation.
I think that we need to learn to just be satisfied with being "good enough". We have ALWAYS been "good enough".
apaladin liked this
 #34648  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:35 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 pm
Paladin101 wrote:
I think this team is better, and I think the conference got worse. And I said “should” not “will”. I think we should have won last year.
I’m not sure you can say this team is better than last year. You lose a great player in Jordan Lyons. You had a great player coming off the bench in Mike Bothwell. In other words you replace JL with who that makes the team better? I agree with you the conference right now looks worse. The top 3 teams from last year all have problems to fix. Right now WC may be the team to beat?
 #34649  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:47 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:34 pm
This is when u miss a guy like Jordan Lyons.

He could go 0-10 but when the game was on the line he was lights out
Not only that he would not have let this team come out with no excitement, no energy today. He was a leader. We miss that leadership as much as his scoring.
 #34650  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:10 am
OK, so we had a bad game. Happens to a lot of good teams especially on the road. Time to forget it and work on some things that need improvement. It's better to play a tough schedule in Dec. and find out what needs work rather than play a bunch of cupcakes and then get walloped in the conference.

If anyone thinks winning the SoCon is going to be easy, they can think again. Mercer is good, Samford is improved, UNCG seems to be getting it figured out, Woffart is better than we thought, and Chatt is 7-0. That road game coming up against the Mocs is going to be a tough game, too.

I think that we have a good enough team that could potentially win the SoCon, so I am still bullish on the Paladins.

I would be willing to take a re-match with any of the teams that have recently beaten us on a neutral court in the NCAA's if we can get there. We're going to have to improve but it is doable.
DoomedDin1127 liked this