• National Signing Day 21

#34445  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:40 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 pm
That’s what I suspected Astrodin. TX must have a rich deposit of football playing smart kids. I substitute teach all over Aiken Co. and I just don’t see many football players even attempting AP classes. The smart kids here don’t care about playing football. Their demographic likes to watch football. Apparently that hasn’t happened yet in Texas.
Furmanoid —those private schools in the Dallas area are in another class. My wife is in administration at SJCS here in Greenville, very good Catholic college prep and a very good deal compared to CCES.

The private school I consult for in Dallas (is 40K plus a year) and it's on the low-ish end of the Dallas private schools.
You would think high schools that cost 40-60 K a year wouldn't be football schools.
 #34446  by Furmanoid
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:55 pm
I’m sort of instinctively concerned about how well the Oligarchs’ kids stack up against our local welfare mothers’ kids in the 40 or going up for the 50/50 ball. But that is probably reverse snobbery on my part. Those people probably have their kids engineered some kind of way.
 #34450  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I’m sort of instinctively concerned about how well the Oligarchs’ kids stack up against our local welfare mothers’ kids in the 40 or going up for the 50/50 ball. But that is probably reverse snobbery on my part. Those people probably have their kids engineered some kind of way.

This might be the dumbest thing ever posted here. And that's saying something.
 #34451  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:51 pm
Hope this turns out to be a great class !! Weird year for SURE. Not sure how that worked with recruiting (for any and all schools).

one side note - I noticed that Wofford was also recruiting a few of the same kids from Texas. I always saw their recruits as either local or from Kentucky/Ohio (Ayers connection). Not sure where their Conklin is from but I admit that caught me off guard to see us competing w Woffd on the Texas guys...

EDIT: Conklin is from Wyoming and played in the Dakota region in the frigid north.. wonder if all the SoCon teams are expanding their footprint with too much saturation here ??

My general thoughts on that subject - if a kid comes out this way to visit Furman, he probably also swings by Wofford. They are looking for a similar type of player, especially at RB.

Not saying this is the case, but it also happens that schools will ride one other's coat tails. For instance, if a kid has an offer at Yale, Furman probably can rest assured that he passes academic muster. Same with Wofford.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #34452  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Looks like a pretty good class. Why can’t we get a QB? Our only QB recruit had only 2 other offers and they were not very good ones. Was he even recruited as a QB? We are one departure away(injury, academics, transfer)from having a slew of walk ons competing for the starting job. :shock:
What are you even talking about?

Wilson starts at QB in arguably the toughest division of football in the country, Texas 6A (https://www.maxpreps.com/news/67vhJ-Mzo ... he-way.htm).

You look at the competition he plays against, and it includes two top 10 teams (again, in the toughest division of high school football in the country). One of those teams is top 25 nationally and the other is one of the historically great programs in Texas. Yeah, Mayde Creek lost their last two games against those two teams.

So, Wilson throws for 1600 yards at a nearly 60% completion rate at a brand new school against some of the nation's top high school programs a year after throwing for 2500 yards and 27 touchdowns for a different school, and you are just convinced he isn't cut out to play QB? Because of all the tape you've watched? Your intricate knowledge of his recruiting?

This kid has been our QB target since the early summer. Get over it.
hypercycloid liked this
 #34453  by Paul C
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Looks like a pretty good class. Why can’t we get a QB? Our only QB recruit had only 2 other offers and they were not very good ones. Was he even recruited as a QB? We are one departure away(injury, academics, transfer)from having a slew of walk ons competing for the starting job. :shock:
Don't forget he committed very early, which then shut down his recruiting and probably why he only had limited offers
apaladin liked this
 #34454  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:38 pm
I'll add to Jackal about Jace - I watched a stream of one of Mayde Creek's game plus a good bit of highlights.
The dude got zero offensive line protection, I watched Jace get hit over and over as he released the ball or doing mad scrambles… but the guy hangs in there and takes the hit. I could post more take a look at these clips…

#34456  by Paul C
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:54 pm
love the poise he shows on that last highlight, stepping into the deep ball even as he's about to get crushed
 #34457  by Furmanoid
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

This might be the dumbest thing ever posted here. And that's saying something.
Look man, I’ll admit I’ve never even met anybody who would pay $40k a year for HS, but I’ll bet I’m not the only one who has this probably unfair image in my mind of an athletically challenged though eager kid. Maybe admitting that makes me dumb. Obviously there are exceptions like the 2 or 3 in the nfl. And it sounds like most of them live in this weird enclave in TX. I’m sure Jace is one and will give us a couple of good years before he goes to Bama and wins the Heisman.

But I do know the kids around my town (fairly typical Southern town) who are good. I coached most of them somewhere along the way when they were little kids. And the best I had were generally on some kind of assistance and I was the only man in their life. ALL they cared about was playing football and basketball. And if Bill Gates had a kid I would bet you any amount of money that MY kids would smoke him.
apaladin liked this
 #34459  by Thorny
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:05 pm
With every signing day we likely have an influx of friends and family of future players visiting this board and for many this is their first introduction to Furman.

I would like their introduction to Furman to be something other than arguments of blue collar vs. yuppie players and whether our QB had enough scholarship offers...
PalaDad, AstroDin, FUKA61 and 3 others liked this
 #34461  by cavedweller2
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:35 pm
FU ALL THE TIME
FUBeAR liked this
 #34463  by FurmAlum
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:40 pm
I can't fathom paying 40K+ to send a kid to high school. Are the public schools in the Dallas area that bad?

I did send my daughter to Furman and paid for most of it as she did have a couple small academic scholarships. And I would do it again, too. But she went to a public high school and it was fine. The public schools here are good. Other daughter went to Chattanooga and it was fine too.

I have friends who sent their kids to the local private high school here and then they went to public colleges like UT and Austin Peay. Why do you need to go to a private high school to prepare for UT or APSU? That makes no sense to me.
apaladin liked this
 #34466  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:24 pm
Pantego Christian > where Myion Hicks played is around 16K tuition it's a 4 A school
John Paul II > where Grant Robinson played is around 19K tuition it's a 6 A school
for comparison
CCES is over 21K
SJCS is 14K - Jake Johanning and Luke Bynum are grads of SJCS
IMO - Pantego and John Paul are average tuitions for prep school.

My client a TEXAS 6A private school is over 32K their competitive schools jump to 40K up plus you have a few schools that offer boarding and that puts a year at well over 60K.
 #34467  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
What are you even talking about?

Wilson starts at QB in arguably the toughest division of football in the country, Texas 6A (https://www.maxpreps.com/news/67vhJ-Mzo ... he-way.htm).

You look at the competition he plays against, and it includes two top 10 teams (again, in the toughest division of high school football in the country). One of those teams is top 25 nationally and the other is one of the historically great programs in Texas. Yeah, Mayde Creek lost their last two games against those two teams.

So, Wilson throws for 1600 yards at a nearly 60% completion rate at a brand new school against some of the nation's top high school programs a year after throwing for 2500 yards and 27 touchdowns for a different school, and you are just convinced he isn't cut out to play QB? Because of all the tape you've watched? Your intricate knowledge of his recruiting?

This kid has been our QB target since the early summer. Get over it.
56.5 completion rate 9 TD’s, 10 interceptions, undersized. He didn’t play that well but it was against good competition. You should understand the skepticism but if you think he is the QB of the future I will yield to your expertise. I am hoping you are spot on and he has a great career at FU.