#3401  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:34 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Ridge Gibson moves to No. 2 at RB.
Wasn't he listed as #2 last week also?
I think he was "or" along with Sanders. But yes.
 #3408  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 am
Excited to see participation listed on the two-deep from the Clemson game. A few things that stood out to me.

Jordan Harris 50 plays (1st career start) (SO)
Reed Kroeber 49 plays (1st career start at center) (SO)
Bo Layton 47 plays (SO)
Andy Godwin 43 plays (JR)
Jacob Conrad 36 plays (1st career start) (JR)

Detamore 24 plays at RT (RSFR)
Breedlove 23 plays at RG (JR)
McKinney 22 plays at LG (RSFR)
Wyatt 16 plays at LT (SO)
Neely 14 plays at C (SO)

Still curious about passes defended — mainly would love to see Trapp's numbers.
 #3410  by JohnW
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:05 am
FWIW. Happened to be in the car during Deptula's show yesterday. Very complimentary of the Paladins. Paraphrasing but admired how we kept competing, complimented the defense, liked the young QBs, think he mentioned a WR, well coached, going to make the state proud, thinking we may win 9 or 10 games.
 #3428  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:32 pm
This purports to be the Clemson/Furman game.

Check out the 7:10 mark. Clemson's got 4th and 5. Furman is press man coverage with Trapp in the slot (like Staggs suggested he'd be). Lemons and Weems are locked right up on Clemson's outside receivers. Okeh is covering the TE.

Bryant throws a deep fade that Weems is all over.

I don't study every defensive play, but it's rare (super rare?) to see a Furman defense line up in man coverage in that situation. I've Staggs is willing to plan man to man against Clemson, I bet we'll see a lot of it.
MNORM, raleigh fan liked this
 #3429  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:37 pm
16:34 - Good run by Jemar Lincoln.

Designed QB draw. I don't know if we saw a whole lot of that last season. Look at Bo Layton blocking a DB 20 yards downfield.

22:23 - Defense in something like the Mike Nolan "amoeba." Two men down, everyone else hovering. Rush 3 and McKoy almost picks it.

25:35 - We have two wing backs that are both TBs (Wynn and Watkins). This was a rarity last year as we infrequently went into a pure three back set. That was a sweep, which I don't recall us running much of last season. That's a play we can run to either side. Next play had Wynn and Morehead.

28:08 - I Formation! With a TE!

29:57 - I pro right, we just didn't get the DT blocked (who, admittedly, is a horse). Hole is there if we get #42 blocked. We'd still be running. I don't think Elon's NG is going to make that play.

3?:50 - Toss sweep (yes!). Ferrell makes a play. Again, the blocking is there, we just ran into a man child.

34:40 - Great close by Trapp. Broke hard on the ball. Those will turn into picks.
 #3430  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm
I'm not going to do this all day (I might).

One noticeable thing I see on our defense - when they get their mitts on you, the ball carrier is going to the ground. Go watch the Citadel play against Wofford. Bulldog defenders were bouncing off Terrier players like pinballs.

Elijah McKoy is going to be (is) a tackling machine.
QCGlue liked this
 #3432  by MNORM
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:

One noticeable thing I see on our defense - when they get their mitts on you, the ball carrier is going to the ground. Go watch the Citadel play against Wofford. Bulldog defenders were bouncing off Terrier players like pinballs.

I watched the entire Wofford-Cit game after watching ours and this was glaringly obvious. Aside from a few times when our defender was much smaller, our boys did an excellent job wrapping up and bringing the ball carrier down. Citadel looked like a Pop Warner team...and that's insulting a lot of 10 year olds.
 #3435  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Designed QB draw. I don't know if we saw a whole lot of that last season. Look at Bo Layton blocking a DB 20 yards downfield.

22:23 - Defense in something like the Mike Nolan "amoeba." Two men down, everyone else hovering. Rush 3 and McKoy almost picks it.

25:35 - We have two wing backs that are both TBs (Wynn and Watkins). This was a rarity last year as we infrequently went into a pure three back set. That was a sweep, which I don't recall us running much of last season. That's a play we can run to either side. Next play had Wynn and Morehead.

29:57 - I pro right, we just didn't get the DT blocked (who, admittedly, is a horse). Hole is there if we get #42 blocked. We'd still be running. I don't think Elon's NG is going to make that play.

3?:50 - Toss sweep (yes!). Ferrell makes a play. Again, the blocking is there, we just ran into a man child.

34:40 - Great close by Trapp. Broke hard on the ball. Those will turn into picks.
Great call-outs of some neat stuff...

A couple of comments...
* QB Draw may have been a check. From my seat, just inside the ozone layer, I was yelling "QB DRAW!" before the play. I wasn't hoping Mr. Lincoln could hear me, of course (because that would have tipped off the Tigers too :D ). My shouts were evoked because of Clemson's alignment on that play. The middle is wide-a$$ open. I'm thinking it must be part of a blitz package they do, and our astute Staff picked it up on film and had the check to QB Draw ready. I know Coach Venables makes about $500B a year as the greatest DC in the universe, but that alignment is NOT sound. Maybe the ACC dudes aren't smart enough to pick it up...but that was the perfect play for their unsound alignment. Too perfect to have been a coincidence. Also tells me something about Mr. Lincoln's grasp of what we want to do on Offense and his ability to get us into the right play at the right time.

* "29:57 - I pro right, we just didn't get the DT blocked" - Equal time...Coach Hendrix and Coach Lusk are going to 'straighten me out' on this (I'm sure), but I do not like our scheme on this play. I guess the play is designed to be an ISO on the outside LB, but we are Zone Blocking it in the O-Line, which I am not a big fan of on ISO's, but it can work...sometimes. Maybe it's an Inside Zone with a lead blocker...but that sort of defeats the purpose of the Zone concept because the TB is trying to follow the FB AND to see where the crease is on the Line Blocking...Those 2 things may not agree. Anyway....In order for that OLman to make that backside scoop block on the DT, he's either gotta be a SUPER-AMAZING athlete (and I think he's only AMAZING...at this point) or he's gotta cut his split down to almost nothing, which brings more backside BadGuys closer to where we want to run the ball, which is OK on a RocketSweep (like most of those sweeps are), but this play is designed to hit up in the opposite B or C gap. I want BIG splits on those plays...particularly backside. So...WWFUBeAR do? Power Scheme....down, down, back on playside (back block picks up #42 - with an angle to be able to do it), backside OG skip pulls and is up on p/s LB. FB kicks DE/last man on LOS (AKA 'edge guy'), b/s OT scoops hard for any run-through trash, then pivots to pick up pursuit if no 'trash' shows. Power is a beautiful play when run effectively. Must have agile OG's to do it (well)...and I think we do.

Coach Garvin? Now that you are back on the bRight side of the ball Coaching God's Favorite Children and have 50 years DC'ing experience....any comments?
 #3436  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:24 pm
MNORM wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I watched the entire Wofford-Cit game after watching ours and this was glaringly obvious. Aside from a few times when our defender was much smaller, our boys did an excellent job wrapping up and bringing the ball carrier down. Citadel looked like a Pop Warner team...and that's insulting a lot of 10 year olds.

This is a generalization, but from what I see, many of Clemson's big plays were in part simply because of physical mismatches. I didn't see a lot of missed tackles and players running amok.

I think we will be fine.
 #3437  by furman88
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm
I read FUbeAR 3 times and it gave me a headache. Just kidding good stuff!
 #3438  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:31 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Great call-outs of some neat stuff...

A couple of comments...
* QB Draw may have been a check. From my seat, just inside the ozone layer, I was yelling "QB DRAW!" before the play. I wasn't hoping Mr. Lincoln could hear me, of course (because that would have tipped off the Tigers too :D ). My shouts were evoked because of Clemson's alignment on that play. The middle is wide-a$$ open. I'm thinking it must be part of a blitz package they do, and our astute Staff picked it up on film and had the check to QB Draw ready. I know Coach Venables makes about $500B a year as the greatest DC in the universe, but that alignment is NOT sound. Maybe the ACC dudes aren't smart enough to pick it up...but that was the perfect play for their unsound alignment. Too perfect to have been a coincidence. Also tells me something about Mr. Lincoln's grasp of what we want to do on Offense and his ability to get us into the right play at the right time.

* "29:57 - I pro right, we just didn't get the DT blocked" - Equal time...Coach Hendrix and Coach Lusk are going to 'straighten me out' on this (I'm sure), but I do not like our scheme on this play. I guess the play is designed to be an ISO on the outside LB, but we are Zone Blocking it in the O-Line, which I am not a big fan of on ISO's, but it can work...sometimes. Maybe it's an Inside Zone with a lead blocker...but that sort of defeats the purpose of the Zone concept because the TB is trying to follow the FB AND to see where the crease is on the Line Blocking...Those 2 things may not agree. Anyway....In order for that OLman to make that backside scoop block on the DT, he's either gotta be a SUPER-AMAZING athlete (and I think he's only AMAZING...at this point) or he's gotta cut his split down to almost nothing, which brings more backside BadGuys closer to where we want to run the ball, which is OK on a RocketSweep (like most of those sweeps are), but this play is designed to hit up in the opposite B or C gap. I want BIG splits on those plays...particularly backside. So...WWFUBeAR do? Power Scheme....down, down, back on playside (back block picks up #42 - with an angle to be able to do it), backside OG skip pulls and is up on p/s LB. FB kicks DE/last man on LOS (AKA 'edge guy'), b/s OT scoops hard for any run-through trash, then pivots to pick up pursuit if no 'trash' shows. Power is a beautiful play when run effectively. Must have agile OG's to do it (well)...and I think we do.

Coach Garvin? Now that you are back on the bRight side of the ball Coaching God's Favorite Children and have 50 years DC'ing experience....any comments?
I agree on the power scheme. That's a big distance for the RG to cover against an active big man. Certainly looks like an outside zone, but there may have been more room coming back inside. I agree, those are relatively small tweaks.

Glad to see the I-Formation again. Just pausing at 30:08, you can see the sweep back to the right set up nicely. TE and RT block down, RG pull to his right and kick out the only remaining defender (a CB, I think) and let the FB lead the way.
 #3445  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:00 pm
According to Elon's depth chart, they are missing two starters from last week - one OL and one DL.
 #3447  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:46 pm
furman88 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm
I read FUbeAR 3 times and it gave me a headache. Just kidding good stuff!
Does this help?

furman88, QCGlue liked this
 #3449  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am
The Jackal wrote:
According to Elon's depth chart, they are missing two starters from last week - one OL and one DL.
Jackal, good catch ! If i may ask, which numbers are the OL and DL that are missing? I will watch to see if they play

Thanks in advance !
 #3450  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jackal, good catch ! If i may ask, which numbers are the OL and DL that are missing? I will watch to see if they play

Thanks in advance !
I don't know. You can look at their depth chart, last week starters, and their roster.