• Furman @ Alabama Dec. 15 (SEC Network)

#34170  by Sad Din
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 am
Got Cincy and now Tide after Ls. Playing against Teams with extra motivation.

If Dins come out strong then maybe Tide starts doubting themselves. If not could be a long night

Go Dins

"A very disappointing loss. Our effort was not where it needed to be tonight. We struggled on the boards – only had four offensive rebounds and we were outrebounded by 15 (43-28). They outscored us in second chance points 15-0. We missed 39 shots. You're going to have some bad shooting nights, but when you miss 39 shots you should have more than four offensive boards. Clemson is a really good team. One of the best defensive and hardest playing teams we will play this year. We've got to get it figured out here soon because we have a quick turnaround to try and get ready for a very good Furman team on Tuesday."
 #34180  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm
JoeyFreshwater wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:59 am
Clemson beat Alabama last night and everyone here thinks Furman is neck and shoulders above Clemson, so I don’t see why Furman won’t beat bama by 20...
Joey, I had the same thought. If we don't win we better shut up about being better than the Tigers or USC (well, ok, USC still is pretty bad).

In all fairness, Clemson is looking pretty damn good. I went and watched a game at Littlejohn. They should be top 25 in next poll I think. I see Kenpom has them at 20! They are legit, that Fordham transfer has changed them.
 #34182  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:36 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:00 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:44 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:04 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:27 pm
Alabama game is our final opportunity to do anything worth bragging about this year, unless we win “every remaining regular season game + SoCon Tournament + at least 1 NCAA Tournament game”, or unless we instead get to NIT quarterfinals somehow. Better beat Alabama.
The Final Opportunity? Good grief! I don’t think so.
I mean, yeah, we can brag to each other and feel good; but really, what is going to make any kind of splash nationally if we don’t beat Alabama and also don’t do ALL those other things I listed? Not many people are going to be impressed positively if the only place we do well is against the SoCon & Winthrop & SC State.
What do YOU say there will be worth bragging about if we do not do something beyond just beating those teams?
Don’t just say “good grief”.
Alabama IS the final opportunity for this year unless we do those other things I said.
I do, of course, realize we still could win the SoCon Tournament and win 1 or 2 NCAA games, even if we do not win all the remaining regular season games. Maybe.
Affirm, You're way off base here. I agree with CharlieFU. A loss to Alabama is not the end of the world. It is no doubt a great opportunity for a statement win, but beating a good SEC team on the road is a tough order.

If we can win the SoCon tournament it will be a moot point. And I would say if we do and make it to the NCAA Tourney for the first time in 40 years we deserve to brag some!
“Brag” in comparison to the other Furman teams over the last 40 years that failed, and to the rest of the SoCon this year; but not in comparison to “national greatness”.
MANY teams have been in the NCAA tournament since Furman was there.
Better beat Alabama if we’re going to “have a ‘bragging leg’ to stand on”. (Yeah, that’s a funny way to say it.)
Basically, I’m saying it’s fine to just blah-blah-blah-blah about Furman basketball, but It would be good to occasionally have something worth mentioning to people beyond just the “inside-Furman” group.
And don’t get me wrong, I love all of you “inside-Furman” people. I’m one of you. OK with me if we’re just .500 all the time, except for the fact that, then, even fewer people care when we’re at or below that level.
I want things to happen so that other people are more interested in supporting Furman basketball.
It’s hard enough for us to get “name teams” on our schedule. It’s even more rare for us to be able to beat them.
apaladin liked this
 #34184  by FurmanFan2020
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:57 pm
IMO a victory over Alabama is possible and would be a definite plus to the Furman OOC schedule. Defense is the key as the Paladins cannot permit the Tide to shoot any where near the 57% Cincinnati shot.

As for the Conference schedule, IMO Furman has an excellent chance to run the table. I will look this up and post the information unless one of you knows whether Furman has ever produced an unbeaten conference record.

In HCBR we trust!
apaladin liked this
 #34218  by cavedweller2
 Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 am
FurmanFan2020 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:57 pm
IMO a victory over Alabama is possible and would be a definite plus to the Furman OOC schedule. Defense is the key as the Paladins cannot permit the Tide to shoot any where near the 57% Cincinnati shot.

As for the Conference schedule, IMO Furman has an excellent chance to run the table. I will look this up and post the information unless one of you knows whether Furman has ever produced an unbeaten conference record.

In HCBR we trust!
1975 Furman went 15-0 in conference. 14-0 at home.
 #34224  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:35 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm
JoeyFreshwater wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:59 am
Clemson beat Alabama last night and everyone here thinks Furman is neck and shoulders above Clemson, so I don’t see why Furman won’t beat bama by 20...
Joey, I had the same thought. If we don't win we better shut up about being better than the Tigers or USC (well, ok, USC still is pretty bad).

In all fairness, Clemson is looking pretty damn good. I went and watched a game at Littlejohn. They should be top 25 in next poll I think. I see Kenpom has them at 20! They are legit, that Fordham transfer has changed them.
I wish it was that simple. If it was Vegas would be shutdown as we would all be millionaires, lol. With 6 to go Alabama was up 55-54. They scored exactly one point the last 6 minutes. No way in h*** that would have happened had they been playing Furman. They shot 3-22 from 3. Of course they will shoot lights out against FU. Take it to the bank. Just saying every game is different, teams have good nights and bad nights. Bama had a bad night against CU. I am expecting their best game of the year against FU. That’s just the way things are and even though I don’t like it is to be expected. If you are a gambler and only look at comparative scores you will be broke soon. :lol:
 #34225  by MNORM
 Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:38 am
We'll need a strong effort and contribution from our bench if we're going to pull it our tomorrow night. I know most of us aren't so fond of the DII games but they provide a great opportunity for the young guys to get PT. Hoping it starts paying dividends soon.
 #34229  by Sad Din
 Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:17 pm
If SEC refs start getting whistle happy like last year need to put Beeker and Lawrence in there to push em around until they get tired of calling fouls. Then let Gurley and Slaw clean up the mess
 #34233  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:55 pm

Surprised he is still giving us Top 25 interest after the Cincy road loss, but we were a Slawson 3 pointer from tying that thing up with 38 seconds to go, he's probably giving us one more shot to try and prove ourselves worthy at Bama