• Grainger Leaving

#34035  by JohnW
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 am
I don't blame the young man. He's decided Furman is not the best place for him and leaving now before the spring season, I believe, means he can go anywhere. If Coastal didn't have a great RFR QB I'd guess he was heading there.
 #34045  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:52 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:29 am
I think it’s best for all parties involved. Grainger and Sisson have what it takes to be QB1. It never made much sense to me to have both either rotating in a game or thru the season based on who’s player better. From Furman standpoint you want consistency. That wasn’t there last year and showed against Citadel, Wofford, and Austin Peay. Both players need to be “the guy” to develop that consistency. Sure Furman takes a hit in the depth chart but it’s not like the offense depends on QB runs. The option needs to be there, but it’s not really the first option. I think the offense looked best when PJ was there and I think Sisson has a lot of those same qualities. Not sure if Shiflet will be QB2 or Hardin, but that’s plenty good for me at QB depth. I recall Shiflet coming to Furman for the chance to remain a QB and thought it was strange to be put right back at WR. I think we see him as a viable backup there but also contributing in the return game and WR. It’s gonna be fine. I sure like knowing who the QB is and I’m sure the offense does too. Wish Grainger the absolute best and hopefully he can jump to FBS.
agree with the above ^^^
A few notes on Sission, I also think he has a similar skill set to PJ. I'd say Hamp is probably a better option QB - I've been impressed with his ball-handling skills and pitches. Hamp was considered the top recruit in his recruiting class. ANd someone I trust reminded me that he had 20+ offers.

I also wouldn't sleep on Hardin as a quality back-up.

Shiflett's Junior Highlight package at QB:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4934672/57b ... 25bcdf4493
PalaDad liked this
 #34047  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm
AstroDin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I think it’s best for all parties involved. Grainger and Sisson have what it takes to be QB1. It never made much sense to me to have both either rotating in a game or thru the season based on who’s player better. From Furman standpoint you want consistency. That wasn’t there last year and showed against Citadel, Wofford, and Austin Peay. Both players need to be “the guy” to develop that consistency. Sure Furman takes a hit in the depth chart but it’s not like the offense depends on QB runs. The option needs to be there, but it’s not really the first option. I think the offense looked best when PJ was there and I think Sisson has a lot of those same qualities. Not sure if Shiflet will be QB2 or Hardin, but that’s plenty good for me at QB depth. I recall Shiflet coming to Furman for the chance to remain a QB and thought it was strange to be put right back at WR. I think we see him as a viable backup there but also contributing in the return game and WR. It’s gonna be fine. I sure like knowing who the QB is and I’m sure the offense does too. Wish Grainger the absolute best and hopefully he can jump to FBS.
agree with the above ^^^
A few notes on Sission, I also think he has a similar skill set to PJ. I'd say Hamp is probably a better option QB - I've been impressed with his ball-handling skills and pitches. Hamp was considered the top recruit in his recruiting class. ANd someone I trust reminded me that he had 20+ offers.

I have long argued that our offense doesn't need a transcendent player at QB. We need to attempt 15 or so passes a game and connect on most of them.

At bottom, we are going to primarily be a running team. We need to find ways of keeping a defense out of our backfield, and we can do that by hitting on a high percentage of passes and occasionally taking the lid off the defense with a downfield heave.

Of course, none of this is novel to Furman. While we look a bit different doing it, this has been essentially our MO on offense for decades. Two examples:

In 2001 (we were pretty good that year), Billy Napier attempted 18 passes a game, on average. His completion percentage was 60%. He threw almost as many interceptions (13) as touchdowns (14). We averaged nearly 32 points per game.

In 2017, we averaged almost 33 points per game. PJ Blazejowski attempted right at 18 passes per game, on average. His completion percentage (you guessed it) - 60%.

Isolated, that really means nothing, but I think it makes a larger point - play good defense, run the ball, keep a defense honest by completing a fairly high percentage of pass attempts. We've won doing that for years.

And since I mentioned it - Sisson's completion percentage last season was 60%. I was also surprised by this stat - Sisson averaged a significantly higher (4.9) yard per carry average than Grainger (3.4).
PalaDad, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #34048  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
agree with the above ^^^

Ironically, on that HUDL video Shiflett's runs impress me more than the passes. The throws are fairly accurate but often times come out with a wobble...

then again, the QB I watched in high school (Sumter, SC) played for Penn State and was a backup (one pass) in the NFL for 3 years so maybe I am jaded.. LOL

I just looked - never knew our own Art Baker came from Sumter. learn something every day
PalaDad liked this
 #34050  by DeepPurple
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:41 pm
Best of luck to Grainger. I hope things work out for him. I would love for him to stay. Regardless, best of luck!
gofurman liked this
 #34059  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:47 pm
IMHO 15 passes a game just doesn’t get in these times. College football is an offensive game now and you need to score a lot to be successful.
 #34068  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:31 pm
apaladin wrote:
IMHO 15 passes a game just doesn’t get in these times. College football is an offensive game now and you need to score a lot to be successful.
I mean, we scored over 33 points per game last year and lead the conference. Better than Samford, who throws the ball just about more than anyone in the country.

We averaged only slightly less (32.5) in SoCon play.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #34090  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I mean, we scored over 33 points per game last year and lead the conference. Better than Samford, who throws the ball just about more than anyone in the country.

Yes but we still threw it 21 times a game.
 #34106  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:29 am
Before people start jumping off the ship… might be worth a look at Sisson's senior film at Mountain Brook. There was a reason that he had a 2-star rating and a bunch of college offers. What's evident is Sisson has great field vision, is very deceptive as a runner (much like PJ), and is a very good scrambler…

http://www.hudl.com/v/2DMjsC
PalaDad, DeepPurple liked this
 #34107  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Yes but we still threw it 21 times a game.
Your general premise - that 15 passes just doesn't get it done - isn't supported by data. Furman attempted 13 passes against Samford and scored 58, for instance. They attempted 30 against Wofford and scored 7.

Regardless of either one of our opinions, Furman isn't going to come out trying to launch the ball 25-30 times.
 #34115  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:48 am
Number of pass attempts by winning Team in most recent 4 FCS National Championship Games...

2019 - 10
2018 - 19
2017 - 22
2016 - 12

Avg. = 15.75

FUBeAR is a bear of very little brain, but I’d say throwing the ball about 16 times per game sounds about right.
AstroDin, PalaDad, The Jackal and 2 others liked this
 #34123  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Number of pass attempts by winning Team in most recent 4 FCS National Championship Games...

2019 - 10
2018 - 19
2017 - 22
2016 - 12

Avg. = 15.75

FUBeAR is a bear of very little brain, but I’d say throwing the ball about 16 times per game sounds about right.
To be fair, we don't have as strong a run game as NDSU (who does?) - I mean, heck if we are Bama we would never have to throw to win FCS - but your point has merit. like them there facts and data :D
 #34125  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:56 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

2019 - 10
2018 - 19
2017 - 22
2016 - 12

Avg. = 15.75

To be fair, we don't have as strong a run game as NDSU (who does?) - I mean, heck if we are Bama we would never have to throw to win FCS - but your point has merit. like them there facts and data :D
JMU won the 2016 season (game was in 2017) throwing the ball 12 times.

They beat NDSU in the semi-finals that season with 18 pass attempts.

NDSU had 38 attempts in that loss.

...not sure if I’ve ever said this before... RUN THE DANG BALL!
 #34126  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:56 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

2019 - 10
2018 - 19
2017 - 22
2016 - 12

Avg. = 15.75

JMU won the 2016 season (game was in 2017) throwing the ball 12 times.

They beat NDSU in the semi-finals that season with 18 pass attempts.

NDSU had 38 attempts in that loss.

...not sure if I’ve ever said this before... RUN THE DANG BALL!
FUBeAR. I was agreeing w you. I LOVE run run run play- action. . LOVE IT. Just noting the better you are at running the easier it is to say throw only 16 times a game. Works fine on our Samford and Mercer games last yr. not so well v citadel and woff who dared us to throw w numbers and DL play. I suspect w Grainger transferring and just as blueprint we will see a lot more stacked boxes this year after as SoCon coaches watch woff and citadel tape. They will choose to stack box w 8/9 guys and see how we do beating one on one coverage. We will probably have to complete some to back them off. And we should be able to do that. If we can’t we can’t hit 60% of basic passes we don’t deserve to win

But yes. RUN until they stop it. 100% agree. I bet w off-season that Hamp and crew are ready !!
PalaDad liked this
 #34129  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:56 pm
The chance of recruiting good arm talent to FCS schools is kind of iffy isn’t it? Sometimes you get lucky, but I don’t see how you can count on it and build an offense around somebody you hope you might get. You’d never get an Ingle today because he would have just transferred to the ACC or Big 10. I wish we would just Feltonize (bulldoze) all these small fast defenses built to stop the spread. LB’s and DB’s coming out of HS are getting skinnier and more interested in intercepting than in tackling some big scary dude.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.