• Rest of regular season

#34024  by Roundball
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:55 am
More games are being canceled or postponed. Duke has announced no more games with OOC teams. That trend will continue. I think we need to prepare ourselves for the ending of the rest of the regular season. The NCAA might just go straight to a tournament in March or April with all the teams eligible to play. The vaccine cannot get here soon enough.
 #34041  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:34 pm
Everything is fine
Duke only canceled 2 games
Coach K is basically being a little puss because the season has not gone well for Duke to date
underjack, MetroMizzy liked this
 #34054  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:07 pm
Very good clip. Has Coach K cancelled practice until the conference season starts? He needs to do that, right, because basketball is dangerous.

He’s just waiting for the ACC to start back up with its WWE style referees who make sure the right team wins.
 #34060  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:50 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Everything is fine
Coach K is basically being a little puss because the season has not gone well for Duke to date
Yes, I am a Duke fan. But let me throw some very very salient points out there. Be careful before you are so quick to dismiss his comments. I ran these by NUMEROUS people and not a single one had thought of every one of these points. Not. A. One.

1) Coach K is 73 years old.. He is in the super-high risk category. When he coaches (just watch on tv as ESPN pointed out in his defense) he is getting breathed on by no-mask-wearing 18 -20 year olds who are breathing extremely heavily form running up and down the court. That is completely against what we should be doing. Basketball has it's share of older coaches / I believe more than football in general:

Jim Boeheim, 74, Syracuse.
Cliff Ellis, 73, Coastal Carolina.
Mike Krzyzewski, 71, Duke.
Dan D'Antoni, 71, Marshall.
Leonard Hamilton, 70, Florida State.
Francis O'Hanlon, 70, Lafayette.
Fran Dunphy, 70, Temple.
Jim Larrañaga, 69, Miami.
Bill Evans, 69, Idaho State
Bob McKillop, 68, Davidson
Roy Williams, 68, UNC

One of these guys could easily DIE. Let me repeat that - DIE. Now I grant any of them could sit in the stands and let the younger assistants coach in person ... that would be better I think

2) It's not like Coach K said this ONLY just recently (when they are 2-2 as the DUMB ASS Bama coach says - he is clearly IGNORANT!~!!!!!!!). B*tch Bama coach apparently knows less about his own sport than I do??? that is sad. SAD. K has been saying this for months and months. I hate ignorance. hate it. The Bama coach is acting like K just started saying this stuff (bc Duke is "struggling"). He was saying this MONTHS AGO. - I am so sick (Politics, this, all issues) of people reading only the headline and not knowing the DATA AND FACTS.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... t-in-2021/
FACTS - he has been saying this since the summer but none of the twits on twitter (or the big bad Bama coach) had anything to say then: In July, Mike Krzyzewski said this: "We need to have the NCAA Tournament and we need to have some contingency plans based on when the season would start. Everyone says it's going to start on time. We'll see. I would like for us to take a great look at contingency plans, when it might also be. Can it be in April, can it be in May? But we need -- and the NCAA needs -- (the) men's NCAA Tournament. If you don't have it two years in a row, the NCAA, financially, could go in another direction."

Hey Mr Bama coach .. K said this way back in July !!! And notice, again, he is just saying maybe we need some contingency

3) I love basketball and football. But Basketball is INSIDE. Football - which I have less of an issue with - is outside. And football has hardly been able to play - Ohio State etc. Football can send the LBs to one end zone (outdoors) and the QBs to the other end zone etc. basketball doesn't have that luxury as much.

4) K just cancelled the EASY opponents !!! anyone think of that. They cancelled Gardner Webb and Charleston Southern.. or at least one of them. So Duke did two things which were against their own purposes:
1) they took away almost sure wins.. and 2) they took away "easier/practice" games that they desperately need in this disjointed year with a young team.
THIS POINT ALONE SHOULD PROVE K IS SERIOUS ABOUT HIS POINT and not trying to help his "season stats" or whatever.. by cancelling on GWebb and CSU they just took away some W's and lost out on scrimmages they desperately need !!! How people are critical of that I don't know. Must be them there ignorant headline readers again. By doing what he did he is making it so they have no more scrimmage games and go straight into the ACC w a young team! They needed those games for improvement but he decided it was better to let kids have Christmas with their family even if it was to the detriment of the team.

FYI - I admit I didn't realize they were all in a hotel and not going home for Christmas in NC. Now, they get to go home and see family. You see, in ol' Bama that isn't the same consideration. NC is being tougher on the kids - for right or wrong it is what it is. I bet if the Bama kids couldn't go home for Christmas they might have preferred to skip a game to get to go home...

5) anyone notice the Bama coaches age? not nearly the risk there eh, buddy?

6) This is key: All he really said was maybe we should reassess and "delay" as now (a NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!) we have a vaccine ! That is just smart. He DID NOT SAY "cancel the season." Let's see.. .play and maybe get sick as we TWENTY TWO games cancelled or postponed this Saturday alone for COVID? Think about that... Or should we at least talk about waiting 8/9 weeks and playing much safer ?? That is all he said - "maybe we should have a DISCUSSION". Yeah, let's argue with wanting a dsicussion. He merely said maybe we should wait until February to play now that we have a vaccine development. And Duke would NOT avoid a potentially "bad" season.. it would just be two months later. So he isn't avoiding anything at all with what he said !!
And I hope - for everyone on this board / Christmas etc - that vaccine gets out there by spring and everyone stays safe !!!

If you disagree please address each point in turn. I would like to hear each point clearly addressed. Otherwise, I will assume you agree with me. :D :D :D
Last edited by gofurman on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
hypercycloid liked this
 #34062  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:59 pm
If coach K wants to shut down that is fine but don’t say everyone needs to. So I guess the Notre Dame game the 16th is not dangerous or life threatening just because it’s a conference game? IMHO COACH K is just trying to save face after the Bama coach called him out by cancelling the 2 games.
 #34063  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
If coach K wants to shut down that is fine but don’t say everyone needs to. So I guess the Notre Dame game the 16th is not dangerous or life threatening just because it’s a conference game? :lol:
there is a difference. there is. They can play that and still be allowed to go home and see family. If they play the later one they have to stay in hotels and have no family time :cry:

pay attention now AP
 #34073  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:55 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:50 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Everything is fine
Yes, I am a Duke fan. But let me throw some very very salient points out there. Be careful before you are so quick to dismiss his comments. I ran these by NUMEROUS people and not a single one had thought of every one of these points. Not. A. One.

1) Coach K is 73 years old.. He is in the super-high risk category. When he coaches (just watch on tv as ESPN pointed out in his defense) he is getting breathed on by no-mask-wearing 18 -20 year olds who are breathing extremely heavily form running up and down the court. That is completely against what we should be doing. Basketball has it's share of older coaches / I believe more than football in general:

Jim Boeheim, 74, Syracuse.
Cliff Ellis, 73, Coastal Carolina.
Mike Krzyzewski, 71, Duke.
Dan D'Antoni, 71, Marshall.
Leonard Hamilton, 70, Florida State.
Francis O'Hanlon, 70, Lafayette.
Fran Dunphy, 70, Temple.
Jim Larrañaga, 69, Miami.
Bill Evans, 69, Idaho State
Bob McKillop, 68, Davidson
Roy Williams, 68, UNC

One of these guys could easily DIE. Let me repeat that - DIE. Now I grant any of them could sit in the stands and let the younger assistants coach in person ... that would be better I think

2) It's not like Coach K said this ONLY just recently (when they are 2-2 as the DUMB ASS Bama coach says - he is clearly IGNORANT!~!!!!!!!). B*tch Bama coach apparently knows less about his own sport than I do??? that is sad. SAD. K has been saying this for months and months. I hate ignorance. hate it. The Bama coach is acting like K just started saying this stuff (bc Duke is "struggling"). He was saying this MONTHS AGO. - I am so sick (Politics, this, all issues) of people reading only the headline and not knowing the DATA AND FACTS.

FACTS - he has been saying this since the summer but none of the twits on twitter (or the big bad Bama coach) had anything to say then: In July, Mike Krzyzewski said this: "We need to have the NCAA Tournament and we need to have some contingency plans based on when the season would start. Everyone says it's going to start on time. We'll see. I would like for us to take a great look at contingency plans, when it might also be. Can it be in April, can it be in May? But we need -- and the NCAA needs -- (the) men's NCAA Tournament. If you don't have it two years in a row, the NCAA, financially, could go in another direction."

Hey Mr Bama coach .. K said this way back in July !!! And notice, again, he is just saying maybe we need some contingency

3) I love basketball and football. But Basketball is INSIDE. Football - which I have less of an issue with - is outside. And football has hardly been able to play - Ohio State etc. Football can send the LBs to one end zone (outdoors) and the QBs to the other end zone etc. basketball doesn't have that luxury as much.

4) K just cancelled the EASY opponents !!! anyone think of that. They cancelled Gardner Webb and Charleston Southern.. or at least one of them. So Duke did two things which were against their own purposes:
1) they took away almost sure wins.. and 2) they took away "easier/practice" games that they desperately need in this disjointed year with a young team.
THIS POINT ALONE SHOULD PROVE K IS SERIOUS ABOUT HIS POINT and not trying to help his "season stats" or whatever.. by cancelling on GWebb and CSU they just took away some W's and lost out on scrimmages they desperately need !!! How people are critical of that I don't know. Must be them there ignorant headline readers again. By doing what he did he is making it so they have no more scrimmage games and go straight into the ACC w a young team! They needed those games for improvement but he decided it was better to let kids have Christmas with their family even if it was to the detriment of the team.

FYI - I admit I didn't realize they were all in a hotel and not going home for Christmas in NC. Now, they get to go home and see family. You see, in ol' Bama that isn't the same consideration. NC is being tougher on the kids - for right or wrong it is what it is. I bet if the Bama kids couldn't go home for Christmas they might have preferred to skip a game to get to go home...

5) anyone notice the Bama coaches age? not nearly the risk there eh, buddy?

6) This is key: All he really said was maybe we should reassess and "delay" as now (a NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!) we have a vaccine ! That is just smart. He DID NOT SAY "cancel the season." Let's see.. .play and maybe get sick as we TWENTY TWO games cancelled or postponed this Saturday alone for COVID? Think about that... Or should we at least talk about waiting 8/9 weeks and playing much safer ?? That is all he said - "maybe we should have a DISCUSSION". Yeah, let's argue with wanting a dsicussion. He merely said maybe we should wait until February to play now that we have a vaccine development. And Duke would NOT avoid a potentially "bad" season.. it would just be two months later. So he isn't avoiding anything at all with what he said !!
And I hope - for everyone on this board / Christmas etc - that vaccine gets out there by spring and everyone stays safe !!!

If you disagree please address each point in turn. I would like to hear each point clearly addressed. Otherwise, I will assume you agree with me. :D :D :D

Its the timing of his comments and actions that are so suspect, if they were so worried before they should have never played to begin with
 #34081  by Flagman
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:34 pm
If he did it because of his personal situation, perhaps he should retire or take a leave of absence.
 #34089  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:49 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
If coach K wants to shut down that is fine but don’t say everyone needs to. So I guess the Notre Dame game the 16th is not dangerous or life threatening just because it’s a conference game? :lol:
there is a difference. there is. They can play that and still be allowed to go home and see family. If they play the later one they have to stay in hotels and have no family time :cry:

pay attention now AP
Are you sure they will get to go home? My understanding is they will stay as long as they are playing. If coach K is so worried why would he let them go home and risk bringing COVID back to the team? Only the GW game was scheduled after ND. Btw still have not heard of a single athlete getting seriously ill from COVID, or ill at all for that matter so the fear is somewhat unwarranted IMHO.
 #34092  by soconjohn
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:22 pm
Coach K whines...No one listens to him...Alabama's coach said it the best by saying I guarantee he wouldn't say that if he had won those two non-conference games...He's right...And if he feels this way, no one heard about it before the blitzkrieg by Illinois...In fact, at the start of the season he said the NCAA Tournament is a "must"
 #34118  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:38 am
Flagman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:34 pm
If he did it because of his personal situation, perhaps he should retire or take a leave of absence.
Flag, I AGREE - good to see a reasonable response to a point ... Thank you.

I admitted in my initial post that was maybe an answer. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them (older coaches) do something like that. Maybe the older coaches should 'coach' from the stands - 15 feet away - and let their younger assistants handle the close contact.

I know these guys (coaches) are uber-competitive but they need to put health first. Any of them over 60/65 need to think about this IMO
 #34119  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:39 am
Monday wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:11 pm
Neither Fran Dunphy or Bill Evans are currently coaching.
Monday, Thank you for the correction. . Seriously. My mistake. Knew the big ones like K and Roy etc but went to the interwebs for a full listing.

Again, My mistake!
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #34121  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:42 am
soconjohn wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:22 pm
Coach K whines...No one listens to him...Alabama's coach said it the best by saying I guarantee he wouldn't say that if he had won those two non-conference games...He's right...And if he feels this way, no one heard about it before the blitzkrieg by Illinois...In fact, at the start of the season he said the NCAA Tournament is a "must"
Soconjohn let me start by saying K does whine.. LOL. I wish he wouldn't . I admit that.

but what is in bold is just NOT TRUE sir. Let's use FACTS:

It's not his fault if you or others don't keep up. (nothing personal here) .. But K said it in the summer and it was in USATODAY and many national news sources (I watch the ESPN NCAAM page etc to keep up w Duke and Furman). Also sports ticker on my phone where it popped up as newsworthy. He said it quite publicly . Just bc you or someone didn't "hear" it is not his fault. All he can do is SAY it. That is all that is in his power. He can't control what people CHOOSE to hear. l don't know how much more factual and clear it can be:

and again.. and again. The irony is you apparently heard that he was pushing that they need a tournament this year (they do).. but Did Not hear that he was ALSO pushing for contingency plans or a later date - AND IT WAS IN THE SAME INTERVIEW !!! / read below to see my facts where those statements were both put out at same time. I have to say that sounds like very selective hearing if you only were aware of one of the statements, no?? Like when I am asked to do the dishes. LOL :D

https://thespun.com/acc/duke-blue-devil ... ency-plans

- Soconjohn, yes, as you said, K said we NEED the tourney for $$$ - I agree with you , he said that. But in saying that he said - back in the daggum SUMMER - "I would like for us to take a great look at contingency plans, you know, when it (-inserted: the tourney) might also be. Can it be an April? Can it be in May" He said this WAAAAY before any games were played in the SAME ARTICLE / Interview. It ain't his fault some people only heard one part

Aight. Go Dins !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.