• Sisson starting QB?

#33128  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 am
Named a captain today. Just wondering if this means he had won the starting job. Just seems odd to name a backup as captain.
 #33130  by Thorny
 Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 am
I'm sure both Hamp and Darren will get plenty of playing time.

I'm still giving the edge to Darren.

Sophomore captains are equally as rare as backup captains.

/I have no idea what I am talking about.
 #33131  by AstroDin
 Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 am
Based on the release these two captains were chosen by their teammates… my guess is their teammates see them as leaders. I agree with a redshirt sophomore being named captain is a bit rare.

Also… CCH said they will probably be naming other captains in the future.
 #33954  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:49 pm
I don’t know how to post pics but Twitter (Devin Wynn quoting another profile) saying Grainger is entering the transfer portal as an ATH for his position. I guess Hamp is the starter now.
 #33960  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Odd that he's listed as "athlete," and notes that he previously played QB.

Seems like Furman could still find a place for a guy with his athletic ability even if he doesn't win the QB job.
 #33961  by HB88
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:54 pm
Maybe he wants to get in on the love fest back in Conway. Certainly more national media attention.
 #33966  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:12 pm
HB88 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:54 pm
Maybe he wants to get in on the love fest back in Conway. Certainly more national media attention.
They deserve the love fest. That said, Grainger isn't usurping their QB - that boy is freakin' awesome.. So yeah, maybe he is going to be a WR somewhere though I would think he wants to stay a QB - most players do. I bet we see him elsewhere as a QB rather than CCU as a WR>

Anyway, THAT SUCKS. Love Sisson(!) and what he does - but you always want all the players and depth. Now we have, what, ONE QB ??? If Sisson goes down do we have another guy??

I am really asking. I only knew about Sisson and Grainger... (Side note, this is why you never get too high or low on a year. It can change in an instant)
 #34192  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 pm
Just reading through some old press releases:

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020/10 ... eason.aspx
"It's year three for those guys from a development standpoint, so they are certainly at the point where they can lead us. We have confidence in them running our offense. Darren has made a lot of improvement, and Hamp might have improved as much as anybody on our team, increasing his arm strength, which he needed to do. I'm not sure anybody in our program works as hard as he does. We feel really good about having those two guys back. They are a lot more consistent than they were a year ago."
PalaDad liked this
 #34193  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 pm
Just reading through some old press releases:

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020/10 ... eason.aspx
"It's year three for those guys from a development standpoint, so they are certainly at the point where they can lead us. We have confidence in them running our offense. Darren has made a lot of improvement, and Hamp might have improved as much as anybody on our team, increasing his arm strength, which he needed to do. I'm not sure anybody in our program works as hard as he does. We feel really good about having those two guys back. They are a lot more consistent than they were a year ago."
We all hope that is true, but it doesn’t change the fact that we are now one injury away from being in big trouble. FYI there are currently 28 FBS QB’s in the transfer portal.