• 2020(21) Preseaon Predictions

#33538  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:27 pm
Furman's social media account prompts me to talk some football. They are highlighting Thomas Gordon's banner day against Samford last season, but I was most interested in watching Grainger. I'm going to try and channel my inner Dan Orlovsky

First Catch - I cannot really identify Furman's personnel, but I think this is a two back set with the far receiver as a TB. Gordon in the slot. Samford puts five on the line and shows zone. I imagine Grainger knows that presnap because the boundary CB is facing inside and there's probably a CB out covering whoever the tailback is. Not sure who is covering Gordon in the slot, but probably either a S or LB.

I like the route design. I think everyone identifies cover two - TE runs an in and settles in front of the safeties. Near receiver appears to break off ten or 15 yards downfield. With good protection, Grainger knows that there is no help for the safety deep and the weak spot in the zone is toward the pylon (I cannot tell, but the safety may have bit ever so slightly on the TE settling behind the LB). There's not a safety in the SoCon that is going to run with Gordon at full gallop. Touchdown.

Second Catch - I like this one. Samford shows man coverage. I may be wrong, but presnap it appears to me that Grainger looks out at Gordon as if to say "you see what I see?"

Safety is the help over the top in cover 2, so Grainger knows that he can't overthrow this ball or it'll be into double coverage liable to be picked. Not sure how they coach it, but sure looks like Grainger takes a three step drop and just throws it to the front corner of the end zone - my guess is that is the target. Gordon knows the ball is coming and where it's coming - he's just got to beat the man, which he does.

Interesting route combination, too. Furman looks to be in a "max protect" scheme - the TE and both backs stay in to block. Only two receivers go out. I cannot really tell, but it almost looks like the near receiver is running the same route to the same spot on the other side of the field. Probably something Furman knew Samford would do on film.

Third Catch - Similar spot on the field, but 1st and 20. MLB turns his back and runs to "centerfield" indicating cover three. Grainger will know that the MLB has the deep third and the safeties will split the remainder.

Furman runs a pretty standard route combination against this look - the TE pushes up the seam and the WR runs into the zone behind the CB and in front of the S. The S is forced to either sit back against the streaking TE or attack the underneath receiver.

It's a nice throw by Grainger. The CB started well off the ball and dropped deep. The safety is coming over the top. There's not much of a window and Gordon looks like he has to throttle down, but Grainger drops it in right where he can catch it.

Samford isn't the gold standard for defense, but all three of these touchdowns were well diagnosed by the offense.
 #33583  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:29 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:58 am
We are going to miss Gordon.

I think that is true. However, we should be deeper at WR than we have been at any point during Hendrix's tenure.

Some of my concern last year was that our offense seemed almost too reliant on Gordon. He was our top WR, and arguably the best WR in the SoCon. Outside of Gordon, we didn't really have a lot of guys that really stretched a defense laterally and vertically in the passing game from the WR position.

This season, I think we will see a deeper group of receivers and more available options in the passing game - guys that can win matchup battles.
 #33584  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:32 am
FU3 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 am
Dejuan Bell is going to have a breakout season... we are going to be fine at WR.
He’ll get open for sure. In HS the issue was catching the ball. He was really good but dropped more than we were accustomed to. It may have been something about our qb’s throw because Dejuan caught the other team’s passes just fine.
 #33586  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:00 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:32 am
FU3 wrote:
Dejuan Bell is going to have a breakout season... we are going to be fine at WR.
He’ll get open for sure. In HS the issue was catching the ball. He was really good but dropped more than we were accustomed to. It may have been something about our qb’s throw because Dejuan caught the other team’s passes just fine.

It's not easy. Getting the ball from point A to point B where it is intended to go is a tough skill for a lot of high school QBs.
 #33598  by PalaDad
 Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:20 pm
FU3 wrote:
Totally agree. We have a lot of tools in the tool belt this year. Don’t forget about Ryan DeLuca.
 #33602  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:38 pm
PalaDad wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:20 pm
FU3 wrote:
Totally agree. We have a lot of tools in the tool belt this year. Don’t forget about Ryan DeLuca.

Deluca has quietly put together an impressive career for Furman.
 #33722  by AstroDin
 Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:09 pm
Watched the Coastal game - great showing by the Chants!

Starting with ESPN Gameday and throughout the game, Coastal was getting tons of Kudos about the Chant Offense being a modern version of the option. It felt to me more like the APP offense under A Edwards with a lot more pitch plays.

I think in 2021 the Furman offense will actually be more of what the ESPN announcers are predicting that you'll see more of this type of offense in the future.

The main difference I think/hope CCH and GQ are implementing is an offense with explosive play potential and yet a downhill bruising power running game.

Another thought maybe just a guess… one positive about the combo 2021 seasons - a player like Ryan Miller gets a redshirt year. Miller is a very good underrated tightened he's now listed at 6-2 221. If indeed Miller will play some H Back in some new schemes - I like it! I'm not a Notre Dame fan but I love the multiple tight end usage in a game. In 2022 Miller will be a senior and Furman will bring in Whittemore at 6-4 and Healy at 6-3 both are very athletic tight ends I hope we see some multi-tight end looks in the future.
PalaDad liked this
 #33734  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:36 am
I'm no expert on coastal's offense. Like ours, their base look includes two backs, two receivers, and a TE.

My unsophisticated take, I think, is that Coastal looks to have more success running the QB in the option look. Furman runs the QB a lot, but it doesn't seem to be one of the more dangerous parts of the offense.

As Bear noted elsewhere, Coastal is not necessarily big, but they certainly seem quick, fast, powerful, and well coached.
 #33735  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:36 am
I'm no expert on coastal's offense. Like ours, their base look includes two backs, two receivers, and a TE.

My unsophisticated take, I think, is that Coastal looks to have more success running the QB in the option look. Furman runs the QB a lot, but it doesn't seem to be one of the more dangerous parts of the offense.

As Bear noted elsewhere, Coastal is not necessarily big, but they certainly seem quick, fast, powerful, and well coached.
A few more thoughts/notes on CCU > Center, Right Guard, Right Tackle all Seniors and they ran behind that wall a lot.
Also, it shouldn't be a surprise with 3 ex Furman coaches on staff we're running up against Coastal in recruiting a lot. And so far we're getting and keeping who we want.

CJ Marable is interesting - he transferred from PC after they dropped scholarships for football and transferred to CCU.
At first, I thought Marable reminded me of Wynn but I'd actually pin Marable as more similar to Corey Watkins.

This brings me back to what excites me about Furman Football in 2021 the ability to platoon runningbacks is staggering.
 #33736  by DeepPurple
 Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:20 am
I worry about the coaching carousel. FBS programs could come after assistant or head coaches after their season before we begin ours. That could be a tough situation to deal with and fix. 2020, it has indeed been a year to remember or not remember.
 #33739  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:43 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:20 am
I worry about the coaching carousel. FBS programs could come after assistant or head coaches after their season before we begin ours. That could be a tough situation to deal with and fix. 2020, it has indeed been a year to remember or not remember.
You never know about coaches > from what I remember Staggs danced quite a while with the offer to join CCU and it wasn't an easy choice (by appearances).

At the top Hendrix and Quarles, I think look like they are going to stay at Furman. Quarles had many chances to leave Maryville and declined until Hendrix became an HC at Furman. Lusk and Lamendola are connected to CCH through AFA. Bratton is another FU guy and has put down family roots in Gville. Vaughn is still a young coach but with a deep coaching history now at Furman. Wright, Sims, and Lewis are IMO excellent coaches - I could see any of these three moving on in the future. That leaves Dru Duke (Furman grad) and Chad Byers (JMU) both are young coaches and I would think we have these two for at least the new future.
DeepPurple liked this
 #33755  by Paul C
 Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:37 pm
Saw a comment on Football Scoop where Wofford's Josh Conklin might be a candidate at South Alabama....FYI