• Furman #2 in mid major poll

#33451  by CharlieFU
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:35 am

I don’t know if we can meet these expectations, but it sure is fun to see!
 #33454  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:15 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:35 am

I don’t know if we can meet these expectations, but it sure is fun to see!
#WeWantTheZags

Some good overall SoCon news in that poll also...
#12 UNCG
#35 Mercer
#39 Wofford
#45 ETSU

...and Mercer (3-0) just trounced #6, Georgia State, last night by 17 points. The Bears play @ #52 Elon Thursday. If they can win that one, they should get to 5-0 before the 12/7 poll is released and, though I don’t know much about this poll, I would expect them to at least move into the Top 25.

BTW...SoCon Teams’ ranking in Top 25 of College Insiders Final poll for 2019-2020 season...
#2 ETSU
#14 Furman
#20 UNC Greensboro
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnKX512 liked this
 #33455  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:33 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:52 am
I don’t see Richmond in this poll. Are the Spiders not mid-major?
As a member of the Atlantic 10, though not explicitly stated in the info below, seems they are not...

The basketball website Collegeinsider.com created its own definition of "mid-major" when it introduced a pair of end-of-season awards for outstanding mid-major individuals in college basketball: the Lou Henson Award for players (first presented in 2010) and Hugh Durham Award for coaches (first presented in 2005). Since the 2013–14 season, players and coaches from the following conferences have been ineligible for these awards:

All conferences that sponsor FBS football, except for the MAC and Sun Belt
Atlantic 10
Big East
Members of these conferences are also generally ineligible for the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.
 #33456  by furpop16
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:33 am

... All conferences that sponsor FBS football, except for the MAC and Sun Belt ...

Which, IIRC, in addition to the P-5, also eliminates the American, Mountain West, and CUSA conferences, thus removing schools such as Wichita St. Air Force, and Rice from CIT's definition of "Mid Major".

Bottom Line: While both Mid Major Madness and CollegeInsider.com, post Gonzaga #1, the former currently posts Furman at #14 and the latter at #2. Jumping all but BYU, Loyola-Chicago, and Belmont can be attributed to the disparity in definitions. Nevertheless, that's impressive company.
 #33460  by Affirm
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:29 am
Some of us, at least 1, may be slower to understand. Will one of you who is not please give a clearer definition which specific conferences are above Mid-Major and/or which specific conferences are Mid-Major.
 #33462  by CharlieFU
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:40 am
See FUBear post above. Probably as good an explanation as you will get. After all, it’s not exactly an official term.
 #33463  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:58 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:40 am
See FUBear post above. Probably as good an explanation as you will get. After all, it’s not exactly an official term.
Correct, it’s all very subjective and there is no official list. Here is a list from mid-major madness that includes everyone but the P5 and Big East.
https://www.midmajormadness.com/pages/m ... conference
 #33477  by Affirm
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 pm
Air Force would be above mid-major, I guess. Patriot League’s Army and Navy, I guess would also be above mid-major.
 #33478  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:02 pm
affirm wrote:
Air Force would be above mid-major, I guess. Patriot League’s Army and Navy, I guess would also be above mid-major.
No.
 #33479  by Affirm
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
No.
No to what?
?
Air Force? Meaning the whole Mountain West is Mid-Major?
?
No to Army and Navy, since they are in Patriot?
?
No to all 3?
?
No to none? Meaning all 3 are Mid-Major?
?
I’m sure the argument could easily be made that it does not matter much.
Of course, the same argument could easily be made that it does not matter much that Furman is #2 or #14 or whatever in Mid-Major.
Why cannot someone provide a clear answer?
Someone said “subjective”? Huh? If it is subjective, how does anyone even know who they can vote for? Just vote for whoever you subjectively think should be voted for as Mid-Major?
 #33480  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:29 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
No.
No to what?
?
?
?
No to all 3?
?
?
Of course, the same argument could easily be made that it does not matter much that Furman is #2 or #14 or whatever in Mid-Major.
Someone said “subjective”? Huh? If it is subjective, how does anyone even know who they can vote for? Just vote for whoever you subjectively think should be voted for as Mid-Major?

Clear answer, there are two Mid-Major polls, each one uses different conferences in their polls for their own respective reasons, end of discussion
 #33498  by Affirm
 Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:27 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
No.
No to what?
?
?
?
No to all 3?
?
?

Clear answer, there are two Mid-Major polls, each one uses different conferences in their polls for their own respective reasons, end of discussion
Neither clear nor end.
•Collegeinsider Mid-Major (CI) = all D-1’s EXCEPT schools belonging to conferences with FBS, minus MAC & SunBelt; AND EXCEPT Big East & A-10.
•Mid-Major Madness (MMM) = Same as CI
PLUS “Non-P-5 conferences” (AAC & CUSA & MWC)
PLUS A-10.
...Army, BYU, NMState are FBS independents. Unclear whether any of those 3 can be considered in either mid-major poll.
...Navy (AAC) appears to be eligible for MMM at least, but perhaps not for CI.
It appears that MMM is the higher level Mid-Major Poll, compared to CI.
Corrections and clarifications welcomed on any of the above.
 #33499  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:38 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
No.
No to what?
?
?
?
No to all 3?
?
?

Neither clear nor end.
•Collegeinsider Mid-Major (CI) = all D-1’s EXCEPT schools belonging to conferences with FBS, minus MAC & SunBelt; AND EXCEPT Big East & A-10.
PLUS A-10.
...Army, BYU, NMState are FBS independents. Unclear whether any of those 3 can be considered in either mid-major poll.

Googling each ones website and a quick review of the polls and info located on said websites unveils all the wonders of the world
 #33508  by Affirm
 Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:51 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:38 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
No.
No to what?
?
?
?
No to all 3?
?
?

Neither clear nor end.
PLUS A-10.

Googling each ones website and a quick review of the polls and info located on said websites unveils all the wonders of the world
"Googling each ones website and a quick review of the polls and info located on said websites unveils all the wonders of the world". Well, what's the use of UFFP for basketball information if you have to do all the work yourself?!
Considering all the intelligence on this board, I was hoping someone else already had the "wonders" and would kindly lay it out for those of us who did not know.
I did not really want to spend even the time I spent on finding out the information that I summarized.
Since this thread is about "mid major poll" in which Furman is #2 in, it seems that readers of this thread need to know what the heck is this "mid major poll".
It's still not all that clear, especially when Dungeon Realm nor anyone else has confirmed, denied, corrected, or clarified "mid major poll".