• UNCG/Winthrop Postponed

#33444  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:18 am
Add this to the growing list over reacting postponements. There is zero major risks to 20 year olds.
Maybe the risk is to 19 year olds. “High school junior is first Wisconsin teenager to die from Covid-19, officials say.” https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hi ... d_nn_tw_ma
Prayers for the young man, his family, and friends.

Seems to be an interesting case...he was 16, by the way.

“Doctors diagnosed him WITH (emphasis added) Covid-19 with post-mortem blood and toxicology tests.”

FUBeAR dropped out of pre-med, but if the doctors didn’t even know he had it before he died, there could certainly be more to this story.

Symptoms were vomiting & diarrhea and cause of death is currently categorized as “Covid-related pneumonia.” However... “The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office said the autopsy report on Isai will not be released until the case is closed.”

Again, not a doctor & don’t play one on Netflix, but, I believe, while vomiting & diarrhea are symptoms of pneumonia, they are less common than other respiratory-related symptoms...so...while they may have found he was WITH Covid upon his death, they may also find another or other CAUSE(S) of his death with a full autopsy. Yes?

So...it really remains to be seen if this young man died OF Covid or WITH Covid...and I think it does matter.

On a related note...For my vocation, I spend most of my day talking to a broad section of people all over the US of A. And, part of what I do involves building rapport with these peeps...so chit-chat about family, weather, and such, is usually part of these conversations. Well, if my informal survey of today is any indicator, we should expect to see MASSIVE (and real) spikes in Covid in the next 2 weeks. Without exception, EVERYONE I spoke with today gathered with Family from multiple households, including elderly parents & grandparents, with little or no regard for social distancing & mask-wearing, over the Thanksgiving Holidays.

On the other hand, if we don’t see HUGE (far greater than Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day) spikes in hospitalizations and, subsequently, deaths (the only 2 statistics that I think are (truly) reflective of the gravity of the issue)... then maybe, just maybe, we are, or can soon get, ahead of this thing...or we can put this BS behind us...whichever it is.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #33445  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:50 pm
Agree Bear about the young man. Obviously they already saying he died of COVID and as you say it could very well been something else. It’s like someone dying in a car wreck with COVID and the cause of death is COVID.
 #33453  by Roundball
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:00 am
apaladin wrote:
Agree Bear about the young man. Obviously they already saying he died of COVID and as you say it could very well been something else. It’s like someone dying in a car wreck with COVID and the cause of death is COVID.
The car wreck scenario does not happen. However, there are more examples of people getting COVID, recovering, and then dying of pneumonia a few months later. That goes down as a pneumonia death. So far, there have been 268,000 COVID deaths in the United States.
 #33464  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:34 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The car wreck scenario does not happen. However, there are more examples of people getting COVID, recovering, and then dying of pneumonia a few months later. That goes down as a pneumonia death. So far, there have been 268,000 COVID deaths in the United States.
There have 268,000 REPORTED Covid deaths in the US. The actual number may be much lower due to a variety of reasons OR, as you alluded, much higher due to the flip side of some those ‘lower’ reasons and possible unknown mid-to-long-term effects of this virus.

The point is...no one really knows the ‘right’ number. Hate to sound like Killery, but, at this point, while each individual affected by this virus...however they may have been affected...matters, the reported cumulative, non-segmented ‘statistics’ really don’t matter - the National election is over (although, I’m now learning that David Perdue & Kelly Loeffler actually caused the ‘rona’ - who knew it should have been called the Republican Georgia Senator Virus, all along?)

It’s like the Team that lost saying, “we outgained them by 400 yards.” Doesn’t matter. You lost.

Any way we want to look at it, we are losing to Covid, losing badly...and we need to mount a serious comeback.

Hopefully, Victor Vaccine is going to come off the bench and get us back in the game...quickly.
FUKA61 liked this
 #33465  by JohnKX512
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:20 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
There have 268,000 REPORTED Covid deaths in the US. The actual number may be much lower due to a variety of reasons OR, as you alluded, much higher due to the flip side of some those ‘lower’ reasons and possible unknown mid-to-long-term effects of this virus.

The point is...no one really knows the ‘right’ number. Hate to sound like Killery, but, at this point, while each individual affected by this virus...however they may have been affected...matters, the reported cumulative, non-segmented ‘statistics’ really don’t matter - the National election is over (although, I’m now learning that David Perdue & Kelly Loeffler actually caused the ‘rona’ - who knew it should have been called the Republican Georgia Senator Virus, all along?)

It’s like the Team that lost saying, “we outgained them by 400 yards.” Doesn’t matter. You lost.

Any way we want to look at it, we are losing to Covid, losing badly...and we need to mount a serious comeback.

Hopefully, Victor Vaccine is going to come off the bench and get us back in the game...quickly.
Great post Bear.

The biggest issue right now is hospitalization. I want this over ASAP.
I don’t mind over reacting if we can just get through this winter.

For the record, the vaccine will not be immediate and we all need to continue to socially distance and stay safe until we have widespread distribution.

On that note. Let’s end this thread. Go Dins! Proud of our teams and proud of all of us for doing better than a majority of teams and communities.
FUKA61 liked this
 #33482  by soconjohn
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:39 pm
Actually, there’s no science that has proven who spreads to whom or that playing a sport automatically spreads it to that other team...It’s all assumptions not science because no one really knows ...The virus is real...but The assumptions are not backed up by science....But we have to error on the side of caution because of liabilities and such.
 #33483  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:46 pm
FINAL: Winthrop 75 UNCG 67. I think it’s safe to say we will be underdogs in all of our ooc road games-
 #33484  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:46 pm
FINAL: Winthrop 75 UNCG 67. I think it’s safe to say we will be underdogs in all of our ooc road games-
Ugly game from UNCG, first two games for them in the books and a shooting team they are not
 #33488  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:51 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Viruses have been a scourge on the face of humanity for the majority of written history. Fortunately, we live in a time when a virus doesn't wipe out a third of the world's population.

As great an inconvenience as this has been, it has been little more than that for most of us. It'll be over when it's over.
 #33489  by CharlieFU
 Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:31 am
soconjohn wrote:
Actually, there’s no science that has proven who spreads to whom or that playing a sport automatically spreads it to that other team...It’s all assumptions not science because no one really knows ...The virus is real...but The assumptions are not backed up by science....But we have to error on the side of caution because of liabilities and such.
It is certainly true that there remains much unknown. But the science has, in fact, informed decisions that have been made. We aren’t shooting in the dark here. Have all those decisions been effective? Certainly not. Does that mean we should just stand by and do nothing? Absolutely not.
underjack liked this
 #33522  by GOAT
 Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 am
soconjohn wrote:
Nuts. Where do you get this information?
 #33571  by CharlieFU
 Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:46 pm
UNCG again—-game with Louisville postponed due to Cardinal COVID.
 #33574  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:49 pm
GOAT wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
As far as I know there has not been one transmission from playing a game.
 #33577  by Roundball
 Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:43 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:49 pm
GOAT wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
As far as I know there has not been one transmission from playing a game.
Proof the strict protocols are working.