• Billy Napier to SC?

#33096  by Furmanoid
 Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:18 pm
Exactly, they’d be lucky. I’d be a little surprised if any of the guys being talked about want that job. There will be other jobs available soon. If you go to USC you need to make it clear that coming in second in the East is the goal. If you promise more than that, you’ll be on the hot seat within 2 or 3 years.
 #33100  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:01 pm
Heard on espn upstate this afternoon that Napier is the leading candidate by some oddsmaker they were quoting. He was the leader at 3:1 odds.
 #33107  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am
apaladin wrote:
Heard on espn upstate this afternoon that Napier is the leading candidate by some oddsmaker they were quoting. He was the leader at 3:1 odds.
yes, vegas has him and Hugh Freeze installed as the favorites with the Clemson coordinators as the lowest odds (pay you the most if chosen) - I assume bc the Clemson guys make so much why would they leave a great thing like that...
 #33116  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:23 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am
apaladin wrote:
yes, vegas has him and Hugh Freeze installed as the favorites with the Clemson coordinators as the lowest odds (pay you the most if chosen) - I assume bc the Clemson guys make so much why would they leave a great thing like that...
Not only that, I don't see SC being able to hire someone that commands that kind of salary. Talk earlier this year was that they couldn't afford to let Muschamp go until 2021 with the ongoing pandemic, but the fire got too hot. That is why I think Napier and Chadwell are the front-runners.
 #33118  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:35 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:11 am
How much will the Cocks have to pay Muschamp?
$13,000,000
If he gets another job, his salary will reduce the amount USC has to pay.
How do you spell retirement?
It is ridiculous. You are paid to go sit on the couch. Want to work? We get to take money AWAY - wow, who woulda ever thunk that 100 years ago? Maybe the communists? :shock:
 #33119  by youwouldno
 Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:38 pm
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
$13,000,000
It is ridiculous. You are paid to go sit on the couch. Want to work? We get to take money AWAY - wow, who woulda ever thunk that 100 years ago? Maybe the communists? :shock:

That's how contracts have always worked.
 #33121  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm
youwouldno wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
$13,000,000

I am aware. But why do schools do these things (put in EXORBITANT buyout clauses) for coaches who come in with MEDIOCRE records??? I can't fathom that

"South Carolina ... hired Muschamp after he had already proven at Florida to be a mediocre-at-best football coach. Over four seasons in Gainesville he put together just one winning SEC campaign. His final two years he posted a 10-13 record overall. At mighty Florida, mind you." It would at least be different if Muschamp had been a winner at UF like Spurrier or done something .. Muschamp was 17-15 vs the SEC at FLORIDA. A good coach would be better than 17-15 vs conference opponents at UF.

But with all the recruiting and power of Florida he was still a .600 coach ... How does that command a 20+ million buyout from USC ? It was 20 Million+ early on .. diminishing each year to 13 MILLION this year. I don't see how that is justified. If he was a big winner then maybe.. but he wasn't
 #33123  by FurmAlum
 Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm
Florida wasn't good because it was Florida, it was good because they had Spurrier. The tradition means a little but the coach means a lot more. Duke wasn't good when they had Bucky Waters, they became good when they hired Coach K. And they've been good for a long time because he's been there a long time.

UNC went from good when Dean Smith was there, became awful when Matt Doherty was coach and went back to good when Roy Williams came. Same thing with Kentucky.

In football Notre Dame was bad when they had Gerry Faust and even Alabama was bad with Mike Shula.

As for USC, in my opinion, firing any coach before the end of the season, at least in college ball, is Bush League, and the Lamecocks are the epitomy of Bush League.

And giving a coach 7.5 M to leave after what he did is bad, and paying any coach 13M to leave is shameful. Just shows how dumb they were to make that deal.
 #33124  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm
Florida wasn't good because it was Florida, it was good because they had Spurrier. The tradition means a little but the coach means a lot more. Duke wasn't good when they had Bucky Waters, they became good when they hired Coach K. And they've been good for a long time because he's been there a long time.

UNC went from good when Dean Smith was there, became awful when Matt Doherty was coach and went back to good when Roy Williams came. Same thing with Kentucky.

In football Notre Dame was bad when they had Gerry Faust and even Alabama was bad with Mike Shula.

As for USC, in my opinion, firing any coach before the end of the season, at least in college ball, is Bush League, and the Lamecocks are the epitomy of Bush League.

And giving a coach 7.5 M to leave after what he did is bad, and paying any coach 13M to leave is shameful. Just shows how dumb they were to make that deal.
FurmAlum, I agree with a lot of what you post. Coaches are certainly a driving force - huge!

But some schools do have more tradition and also more leeway with regards to academics / players they can recruit etc. I don't see Vandy or Duke winning a football national title anytime soon - not in the modern age. To that point, with the same coach we have 3 different schools ... and vastly different results:
Spurrier at Duke - 20–13–1 .600 win percent ... and to my point if you are .600 at Duke that is seen as great
Spurrier at Florida - 122–27–1 .820 win percent in a much harder conference (82-12 vs SEC)
Spurrier at USC - 86-49 .640 win percent in the very same SEC (44-40 vs SEC)

Same coach and yet vastly different win percent at Florida than the other schools
 #33132  by Thorny
 Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:54 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm
youwouldno wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
$13,000,000

I am aware. But why do schools do these things (put in EXORBITANT buyout clauses) for coaches who come in with MEDIOCRE records??? I can't fathom that

"South Carolina ... hired Muschamp after he had already proven at Florida to be a mediocre-at-best football coach. Over four seasons in Gainesville he put together just one winning SEC campaign. His final two years he posted a 10-13 record overall. At mighty Florida, mind you." It would at least be different if Muschamp had been a winner at UF like Spurrier or done something .. Muschamp was 17-15 vs the SEC at FLORIDA. A good coach would be better than 17-15 vs conference opponents at UF.

But with all the recruiting and power of Florida he was still a .600 coach ... How does that command a 20+ million buyout from USC ? It was 20 Million+ early on .. diminishing each year to 13 MILLION this year. I don't see how that is justified. If he was a big winner then maybe.. but he wasn't
To win at South Carolina you have to be to good to coach there. So, if South Carolina wants to lure away a big name coach to fire in four to five years they have to put buyouts like that in the contract. I'm sure Muschamp would have been happy remaining one of the most respected Defensive Coordinators in the country and not taken the job at South Carolina where odds are he would be fired in disgrace again.
 #33135  by Furmanoid
 Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Exactly. They are into this big name coach thing and it gets expensive. Meanwhile Clemson chose to economize and give the job to a young assistant nobody had ever heard of. But that took courage. Boosters were loudly complaining that they hadn’t hired a recognized coaching genius named Will Muschamp.
 #33182  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:01 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:18 pm
Exactly, they’d be lucky. I’d be a little surprised if any of the guys being talked about want that job. There will be other jobs available soon. If you go to USC you need to make it clear that coming in second in the East is the goal. If you promise more than that, you’ll be on the hot seat within 2 or 3 years.
You forgot to say the other goal would be to finish second in the state. Just hate that Muschamp will be gone when we play them in 2022. They could be much better by then.
 #33186  by Furmanoid
 Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:39 am
Right now that’s a stretch goal. I have them tied for 4th with us.
1. Clemson
2. Coastal
3.Wofford (until we beat them)
4. USC, Furman
gofurman liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.