• FCS Playoffs in Spring 2021

#32463  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:43 am
The offensive line was fine. Remember, there are only five of them.

Bottom line, if we cannot consistently complete passes on short and intermediate routes then defenses will continue to bring extra bodies into our backfield. The offensive line is talented, but it becomes a math problem at that point - more of them than there are of us.

Completing a higher percentage of passes forces those linebackers to stay out of our backfield or risk opening up throwing lanes. You dump a few quick passes behind blitzing linebackers and the opposing defensive coordinator will think twice about trying to bring more bodies to stop the running game.
DeepPurple liked this
 #32471  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:43 am
The offensive line was fine. Remember, there are only five of them.

Bottom line, if we cannot consistently complete passes on short and intermediate routes then defenses will continue to bring extra bodies into our backfield. The offensive line is talented, but it becomes a math problem at that point - more of them than there are of us.

Completing a higher percentage of passes forces those linebackers to stay out of our backfield or risk opening up throwing lanes. You dump a few quick passes behind blitzing linebackers and the opposing defensive coordinator will think twice about trying to bring more bodies to stop the running game.
Which should be easy, theoretically. Basically every college game I am watching right now they are able to do that.. not sure what happened w us last year. These are just 5-10 yard passes we are talking about.

Hope the 5-25 becomes a distant memory. Guess it's bball season first for now.

Go Dins !!!
PalaDad liked this
 #32486  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:56 am
Close enough to the title/topic of this thread...since B-C is still in the MEAC & the MEAC is taking an Auto-Bid this year.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/10/26/bet ... 21-sports/

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/10/26/bet ... usel-49920 - link to President’s letter...I think

Bethune-Cookman will not compete in 2020-21 sports

Bethune-Cookman University has decided it will not compete in sports this spring. That includes men and women’s basketball as well as football.

Bethune-Cookman University will not compete in any athletics activity during the 2020-21 school year.

The school announced on Monday that it is forgoing all spring athletic competition, including football as well as men’s and women’s basketball.

A letter from the office of President, Dr. E. LeBrent Chrite, cited COVID-19 concerns as his reason for shutting down athletics through the spring.

“The recent spike in COVID-19 positivity rates in the state, across Volusia County and on our campus provides clear and unambiguous evidence, in our view, that now is simply not the time to resume athletic competition,” he wrote in a statement.

Bethune-Cookman made news earlier this year when it decided to move to the SWAC on July 1, 2021. It was scheduled to compete in its final year as a member of the MEAC during the 2020-21 season.

Just last week the MEAC released its 2021 spring football schedule. BCU was scheduled to play North Carolina Central and South Carolina State as well as double-dipping against North Carolina A&T and Florida A&M.
 #32498  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:12 am
We have also just started to see the first ripples of the financial affect of this pandemic on universities.

Even major universities are going to have to start belt-tightening this spring, I would imagine.
 #32512  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:20 am
James Madison just announced a spring ooc game with that power house Morehead State. :) Only took JMU a day after the CAA announced their schedule. I would like to see FU pick up a non-conference game even if it’s a Morehead type but doubt we will.
 #32513  by Roundball
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:23 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:12 am
We have also just started to see the first ripples of the financial affect of this pandemic on universities.

Even major universities are going to have to start belt-tightening this spring, I would imagine.
Major universities are already tightening.
 #32516  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:24 am
apaladin wrote:
James Madison just announced a spring ooc game with that power house Morehead State. :) Only took JMU a day after the CAA announced their schedule. I would like to see FU pick up a non-conference game even if it’s a Morehead type but doubt we will.

I doubt they'd be opposed to it, but it would be more a question of availability and matching up schedules.

I'd love a winnable ooc game if for no other reason than to get some younger guys snaps. While I was not excited about the Point game last year, a lot of kids saw the field.
 #32518  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I doubt they'd be opposed to it, but it would be more a question of availability and matching up schedules.

I'd love a winnable ooc game if for no other reason than to get some younger guys snaps. While I was not excited about the Point game last year, a lot of kids saw the field.
Agree, esp in week TWO. Charleston Southern-level is fine with me. I have to agree with the Point comment - but I like that CCH got to the point that in most years (not this one probably) to get an at-large we better schedule winnable games. Committee clearly valued lower wins over tight losses w tough opponents. G-Webb would be a good one sometime. Woff always seems to play them. BIG SOUTH offers a lot of these type - Campbell, G Webb, CSU, Hampton etc. Those are great for getting a W (hopefully) and real play.
 #32537  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:36 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Agree, esp in week TWO. Charleston Southern-level is fine with me. I have to agree with the Point comment - but I like that CCH got to the point that in most years (not this one probably) to get an at-large we better schedule winnable games. Committee clearly valued lower wins over tight losses w tough opponents. G-Webb would be a good one sometime. Woff always seems to play them. BIG SOUTH offers a lot of these type - Campbell, G Webb, CSU, Hampton etc. Those are great for getting a W (hopefully) and real play.
I'll be interested to see what they Big South does. Campbell has already announced it is sitting out the spring after playing 4 games this fall.

Another option might be Presbyterian. PC was supposed to play as an FCS independent this season, so I would suspect they probably have a very unfinished schedule.

With the odds of a SoCon at large bid small this year, I wouldn't have any objection to scheduling a much tougher team - Kennesaw, for instance. It would not really hurt Furman, as the primary objective is to win SoCon play. It'd be nice to see the team against top 10 competition, something they don't see a lot of in conference play these days.
 #32539  by Affirm
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I'll be interested to see what they Big South does. Campbell has already announced it is sitting out the spring after playing 4 games this fall.

Another option might be Presbyterian. PC was supposed to play as an FCS independent this season, so I would suspect they probably have a very unfinished schedule.

With the odds of a SoCon at large bid small this year, I wouldn't have any objection to scheduling a much tougher team - Kennesaw, for instance. It would not really hurt Furman, as the primary objective is to win SoCon play. It'd be nice to see the team against top 10 competition, something they don't see a lot of in conference play these days.
Yes to a much tougher team.
(Keep in mind, however, that getting a loss to any OOC team would probably lead to a lower ranking, a stronger opponent, and an away game in first round game at playoff time, if we are indeed successful in the conference.)
 #32540  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:56 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Yes to a much tougher team.
(Keep in mind, however, that getting a loss to any OOC team would probably lead to a lower ranking, a stronger opponent, and an away game in first round game at playoff time, if we are indeed successful in the conference.)

I actually don't think it will be that big of an impact.

Remember, the playoff field is 16 teams this year (the number it should be every year). At the moment, there will be 10 auto-bids and 6 at large selections.

In a 16 team playoff field, you aren't really going to be able to dodge good teams early. With only six at large selections, we will almost assuredly see a conference champion off the jump, and most likely from the South (so, think Austin Peay, Kennesaw State, James Madison, Elon, etc.) A worse case scenario would be to have to travel out west to also play a top team. There's no real avoiding that scenario.

The odds of the SoCon having an at-large selection seems slim. There just aren't enough quality teams right now to buoy the top. If we don't win the conference, we probably aren't in the tournament.
 #32551  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:30 pm
 #32554  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:00 pm
We are both open on April 10 so make your plans for Chucktown that weekend. That gives us three SoCon road games in a row late in the season and we lose our open date before Woffy.
 #32555  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:35 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:00 pm
We are both open on April 10 so make your plans for Chucktown that weekend. That gives us three SoCon road games in a row late in the season and we lose our open date before Woffy.
I realize that we always want to beat the Citadel, but this year in particular I'd love to stomp a mudhole in them.
PalaDad, FUBeAR, Riz Dawg and 2 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.