• 2021 Commitment

#32502  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am
I was going to mention Ellis… BTW… not sure Ellis and Staggs were a great relationship???

I will say CCH and staff based on-field performance - they're very good pickers.

Let's not forget we have two FBS transfers that will see action in 2021.
 #32503  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 am
AstroDin wrote:
I was going to mention Ellis… BTW… not sure Ellis and Staggs were a great relationship???

I will say CCH and staff based on-field performance - they're very good pickers.

Yeah, I heard as much about Ellis.. anyway, of the transfers ( just off season banter here) I would say T Coleman, R Ellis and Bailey Rogers would have done well at FU and continued to do v well - Rogers running track at USC. The others didn't have as much success.

Remind me - the two transfers... I know Luke Shiflett from MTSU as WR. Who is the other? Thanks!
 #32504  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 am
Ellis, I believe, is a starter at Georgia Southern.

Coleman, if memory serves, was apprehensive about Hendrix's offense.
 #32505  by gman84
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:18 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 am
AstroDin wrote:

Yeah, I heard as much about Ellis.. anyway, of the transfers ( just off season banter here) I would say T Coleman, R Ellis and Bailey Rogers would have done well at FU and continued to do v well - Rogers running track at USC. The others didn't have as much success.

Remind me - the two transfers... I know Luke Shiflett from MTSU as WR. Who is the other? Thanks!
Ellis is a very good player. Astro is right, he had issues with some coaches. Coleman transferred to Richmond I believe, and did well. He did not agree with the new staff in 17. Rogers had speed, but had been knocked down the depth chart. It ain't all about speed GF, if "slower" players have moved ahead of you on the depth chart. Rogers is a super young man and he is probably doing well running track.
 #32506  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 pm
The other FBS transfer is Noah Henderson of Charlotte played HS ball for Ingle Martin.
Checked on Noah's recruiting profile;
I count at least 25 offers - 7 FBS offers.
 #32507  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 pm
The other FBS transfer is Noah Henderson of Charlotte played HS ball for Ingle Martin.
Checked on Noah's recruiting profile;
I count at least 25 offers - 7 FBS offers.
Astro, thank you
 #32514  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 am
Hey, GoFu > you know I'm a nerd for this stuff. I had to do some digging last night to make sure I'm right.

Last year Furman flipped Ivan Yates from Bucknell to Furman. Yates was ranked early as the top recruit in the Patriot League. Yates is a high-academic student and had a wide range of offers (16 total) from Austin Peay to Mercer to SMU. Furman came in late with an offer and he de-committed to Bucknell and committed to Furman. I say all this to show again how flipping can work both ways. BTW… when I look into who else is recruiting alongside Furman for players the most it's Austin Peay, Nooga, Mercer, Wofford, and of course, Ivy and Patriot schools.

BTW Yates is a helluva player >
gofurman liked this
 #32515  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:19 am
Hot take - we are developing depth in the defensive backfield unlike any time I've followed Furman Football.
 #32517  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 am
AstroDin wrote:
...of course he is. He was a Killa Bee! 🐝
AstroDin liked this
 #32519  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:40 am
AstroDin wrote:
Hey, GoFu > you know I'm a nerd for this stuff. I had to do some digging last night to make sure I'm right.

Last year Furman flipped Ivan Yates from Bucknell to Furman. Yates was ranked early as the top recruit in the Patriot League. Yates is a high-academic student and had a wide range of offers (16 total) from Austin Peay to Mercer to SMU. Furman came in late with an offer and he de-committed to Bucknell and committed to Furman. I say all this to show again how flipping can work both ways. BTW… when I look into who else is recruiting alongside Furman for players the most it's Austin Peay, Nooga, Mercer, Wofford, and of course, Ivy and Patriot schools.

Astro, Thanks for the information on this flip. Yep, it goes both ways for sure. Glad to see this one!

"Austin Peay, Nooga, Mercer, Wofford, and of course, Ivy and Patriot schools." that's good stuff. I LOVE to see when a guy w a few FBS offers (G5, UNCC, App, Coastal, etc) chooses us. That really says a lot. Yes, I know, Louis Ivory had one offer. Terrell Owens had one FCS offer - Nooga.. but those are vast exceptions. I'll take an Ingle Martin every day of the week (all kinds of SEC offers etc) and he was instantly a transcendent player for us. It's a percentage / numbers game - for every P5 or G5 offer our guys get the better they probably are. Quite obviously, if we could put the current top 25 FBS Coastal team on the field we would really challenge for the FCS title.

Damn, I still wish all these new programs would shut down - Coastal, Woff (moved to D1), Mercer, Kennesaw State, Georgia State, App and Georgia Southern moving up w more scholarships.. Can at least one just shut down due to COVID?? :D
 #32521  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:21 am
While I think the influx of programs at the D1 level make recruiting more difficult, I don't think it's an excuse. As we've seen from Furman recently, we can have a top recruiting class despite those challenges.
 #32526  by youwouldno
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
While I think the influx of programs at the D1 level make recruiting more difficult, I don't think it's an excuse. As we've seen from Furman recently, we can have a top recruiting class despite those challenges.
Top recruiting classes based on offers maybe . . . the actual on-field production has not shown "top" talent at the FCS level. And putting aside Furman specifically, the SoCon as a whole is very weak compared to its former status . . . the Paladins' forays into Texas and the Midwest tend to support the idea that the Southeast is overrecruited at this point.
 #32527  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Top recruiting classes based on offers maybe . . . the actual on-field production has not shown "top" talent at the FCS level.
Not, necessarily wrong, but definitely premature.

Only 2 of the Hendrix Staff’s (true) Recruiting Classes have taken the field at this juncture. The 2017 class was ‘cobbled together’ as is always the case in an external Coaching transition. The 2020 class has yet to see the field. And, FCS is different than FBS. Almost no Players leave for the NFL after 3 years. To the contrary, as FCS programs become well-established recruiting-wise, they are able to redshirt almost all of each incoming class. If they are smart, they find ways to keep (most of) the ones they want on the field for their 5th year. And to see full on-field impact of Recruited Players, you need to have at least 3 classes of them contributing significantly.

So...by the time the 2018 class reaches its 5th year of eligibility - the 2022 season, and, assuming FU continues to bring in top-rated Recruiting classes / top (FCS) tier talent in ‘21 & ‘22, if we are not competing (and defeating) top-tier FCS Teams on the field, then your statement would be accurate.

Would be super-fantastic to see that outcome arrive a year or 2 early though!!!
 #32536  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:30 am
Bear's points are spot on…

The first recruiting class under CCH;
Six players are seniors this season that didn't take a redshirt, these six can play both 2021 seasons.
Darius Kearse
Dimarcus Clay
Devin Wynn
Elijah McKoy
Landon Lawrence
Cole Neeley
Parker Stokes
Five players are redshirt juniors.
Adrain Hope
Ben Page
Ross Detamore
London Lewis
Matt Sochovka
This class is a great start to the CCH era, several in this group are starters, and this group will be heavy contributors in 2021.

The second CCH class.
This is the first-class that speaks to Bear's points. I highlighted players who have started.
Darren Grainger RSSO
Hamp Sisson RSSO
Devin Abrams RSSO
Corey Watkins JR
Dejuan Bell RSSO
Zach Peterson RSSO
Ryan Miller JR
Anderson Tomlin RSSO
Cameron Coleman RSSO
Taylor Hodge JR
Braden Gilby RSSO
Travis Blackshear RSSO
Jonah Griffin RSSO
Dae'one Wilkins RSSO
Having Watkins and MIller the opportunity to get to play in 2021 as juniors is a big deal.

The 2019 class - had SEVEN players get a lot of PT as true freshman, we will see most if not all of the redshirts from this class get a lot of PT in 2021. You could have three offensive line starters from this class in 2021. This class was ranked 14th by Hero Sports.
Josh Agbenou SO
Wayne Anderson SO
Jack Barton Redshirt
Kam Brinson Redshirt
Cally Chizik SO
Jacob Johanning Redshirt
Austin Jones Redshirt
Evan Jumper SO
Jake Kimmleman Redshirt
Bryce McCormick Redshirt
Jalen Miller SO
Dominic Roberto SO
Hugh Ryan SO
Pearson Toomey Redshirt

It's just a guess as to what role and effect will the highly recruited 2020 class play in 2021. With the combo-season being basically a redshirt year - Furman got a really good break with one of the top-ranked classes in Furman's history getting a two for one.

In order of ranking by Hero Sports the ranked incoming players;
Evan Dimaggio
Dylan Davis
Bailor Hughes
EJ Wilson
Ivan Yates
Jack Rhodes
Blake Hundley
Jeremiah Jackson
Luke Clark
Ty Youngblood
Micah Robinson
Oddly the player missing from this ranking "Kendal Thomas" might be the player who has the most impact in 2021. I could see the first seven of the 2020 class getting a lot of PT in 2021.
gofurman liked this
 #32538  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:38 am
I did the homework sometime in the past, but I think you are also seeing a lot more of Hendrix's recruits contributing later in their tenures.

There were a few recruiting classes under Fowler where maybe only two or three guys in a recruiting class went on to become key contributors as juniors or seniors. Under Hendrix, it looks like most of the class is contributing.