• 2021 Commitment

#32481  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:48 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:20 am
Yeah. Man that hurts. Gilliom looked special, I never believe Any kid is set on anything until they are at a school -that’s not a Furman thing just a difference in society these days. People don’t keep their word the same way. Personally I would rather a kid not commit at all and take their time and decide Vs decommit and then go elsewhere. Kids have always switched schools but it’s so much more frequent now and then you have grad transfers etc.
Maybe he’s having doubts about playing at FU’s level - looking to get early PT, so he decided to drop down to Kansas. Can’t blame a young man for wanting to get on the field & making a decision to support that desire.
 #32482  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:20 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:20 am
Yeah. Man that hurts. Gilliom looked special, I never believe Any kid is set on anything until they are at a school -that’s not a Furman thing just a difference in society these days. People don’t keep their word the same way. Personally I would rather a kid not commit at all and take their time and decide Vs decommit and then go elsewhere. Kids have always switched schools but it’s so much more frequent now and then you have grad transfers etc.

Hope we keep Harris

Possibly. It could be that we just know more about it because it gets circulated on Twitter. I'd rather know now that the kid was not fully committed than find out when he transfers as a sophomore and creates a hole in the depth chart.

We probably have had one kid flip a year since Hendrix took over. I think all of them have either been a QB or WR.

As long as they aren't flipping to a SoCon school, I wish them the best.
 #32483  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:31 am
I saw the Kansas offer last week > based on Jayson's tweet - I figured for him it was the fact that Kansas is a Group of 5 school. And BTW - a great school but going to school on a rock on the prairie, not for me.

To calm GoFurman down I had Gilliom as Furman's 4th top-recruit - with a caveat.

Top Recruit
Bryce Stanfield 6-2 250 DE Acworth, GA
Total offers: 23-25 offers
7 FBS offers: Sunbelt(Coastal, Charlotte, AppST, GaSo, MAC (Akron), ACC(Wake), Army
FCS offers: Ivies, CAA (Nova and UNH), SoCon (Wofford, Mercer, WCU, and Chatty) OVC (Austin Peay, JakSt), BigSouth (Campbell)

No. 2
Landon Whittemore 6-4 220 TE Lafayette, TN
#4 ranked TE in Tennessee
Total offers: 23
FBS offers: UAB, Eastern Michigan, Ark ST, AFA
FCS offers: SoCon, Richmond, OVC, Big South, Ivies

No. 3
Tommy Beuglas 6-1 230 ILB Buford, GA
Total offers: 20
5 FBS offers 1 Group of 5 offer: Maryland
Multiple offers from: SoCon, Ivy, OVC

Jayson Gilliom 6-2 190 DB Gwinett, GA
Total offers: 20
FBS offers: just offered by Kansas
FCS offers: multiple offers from SoCon, CAA, OVC, Ivies

The difference in the players listed above is the FBS offers of Stanfield, Whittemore, and Beuglas. That group of three players had a combined 16 plus FBS offers. Gilliom's first offer was Kansas - and he decommits and takes it. My working theory is for a player like Stanfield - FBS offers are great and all but for him, it's about the school plus he wants to be a dentist.

When you look at the list of commits now at 11 confirmed and 2 not confirmed - DB is IMO the lowest priority.

also - this isn't a top-heavy recruiting class I'd rank these commits as 4, 5, 6… it's dangerous to even try to rank players - I have zero credibility - I'm basing my numbers on offer breakdowns ( especially if we beat out SoCon schools) and accolades if I can find them listed.

John Ferguson 6-6 275 OL Athens, GA
Pre-Season AJC 1st Team All-State
Total offers: 15 offers
FCS offers: Ivies, CAA, Patriot, SoCon

Christian Paraison 6-3 245 DE Fort Myers, FL
Total offers: 12
FBS offers: Navy, Army
FCS offers: Ivies, Big Sky, MVFC

Myion Hicks 5-11 220 RB/OLB Dallas, TX
2x District Defensive Player of the Year
2x First team All-State LB|LB/RB/ATH
Total offers: 10
FBS offers: AFA, Navy
FCS offers: Ivy, OVC, Patriot, SoCon
 #32485  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:48 am
AstroDin wrote:
I saw the Kansas offer last week > based on Jayson's tweet - I figured for him it was the fact that Kansas is a Group of 5 school.
In name only (well...in Hoops too, I guess), Kansas is a P5 school - Big XII.
 #32487  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:01 am
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
I saw the Kansas offer last week > based on Jayson's tweet - I figured for him it was the fact that Kansas is a Group of 5 school.
LOL - I should have put my comment in bold - I meant Group of 5 as a joke - Kansas gets beat over and over by Group of 5 schools.
 #32488  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:07 am
I want to add no sour grapes > Gilliom is a great looking player, and HS seniors have a right to change a commitment - it happens all the time. Furman has proven recently they can compete for a player against an FBS offer. I do think there is validity to a player who has a higher likelihood of decommitting from an FCS school when an FBS school offers late - and it's an FBS school with some cache.

Stanfield's first offer was… AppSt. Almost every regional Sun Belt school offered him as well as almost every Ivy. And still, Bryce chose Furman.
 #32489  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:16 am
AstroDin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
I saw the Kansas offer last week > based on Jayson's tweet - I figured for him it was the fact that Kansas is a Group of 5 ;) school.
LOL - I should have put my comment in bold - I meant Group of 5 as a joke - Kansas gets beat over and over by Group of 5 schools.
Nah...not bold... In that context, shoulda gone with the winkie, ;) - gotta remember the level of intelligence of your audience...oh...wait...
 #32490  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:26 am
AstroDin wrote:
I want to add no sour grapes > Gilliom is a great looking player, and HS seniors have a right to change a commitment - it happens all the time. Furman has proven recently they can compete for a player against an FBS offer. I do think there is validity to a player who has a higher likelihood of decommitting from an FCS school when an FBS school offers late - and it's an FBS school with some cache.

Stanfield's first offer was… AppSt. Almost every regional Sun Belt school offered him as well as almost every Ivy. And still, Bryce chose Furman.
No sour grapes either. Absolutely no problem with kids committing / de-committing / re-committing numerous times. The NCAA rules have so screwed up the offer process, they’ve turned it into a giant street-corner shell game and the kids are ALWAYS less informed than the schools that are moving the peas & sliding the shells around the table.

So...if he wants to spend 3-5 years in Lawrence, KS...
...playing for a lesser Football Program...ROCK, CHALK, young man!!
 #32491  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:18 am
AstroDin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
As best I can see, the Big 12 is hot garbage top to bottom. They are talent wise closer to the SunBelt than the SEC.
 #32492  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 am
AstroDin wrote:

Just using loose memory of the notable decommits/transfers under Hendrix on the completely subjective evaluation of their current status -

Jalen Greene (QB) - flipped to Elon. Now a senior. Spent career as backup QB to Davis Cheek and now looks to have been moved to a reserve DB and special teams player.

Hayden Mann (QB) - flipped to James Madison. Played safety. Transferred to Lenoir Rhyne (D2), where he was not on the depth chart.

Bailey Rogers (WR) - Transferred to South Carolina as a walk-on. Looks like he didn't see the field and is now running track.

Ambe Caldwell (WR) - flipped to Miami of OH. Moved to DB. Doesn't seem to have gotten playing time.

Cam Burnette (WR) - transferred to ECU. Limited playing time and 1 reception as a junior.

It's a bit peculiar that those appear to be the only two positions at Furman with any sort of attrition. Most of those guys would be, in my opinion, starting for us or seeing a lot of the field.

None of this factors into the multitude of reasons why a kid may decide to decommit or transfer. It does suggest that doing so, even for a more "prestigious" program, really isn't a panacea.
Last edited by The Jackal on Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #32494  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 am
AstroDin wrote:

Just using loose memory of the notable decommits/transfers under Hendrix on the completely subjective evaluation of their current status -

Jalen Greene (QB) - flipped to Elon. Now a senior. Spent career as backup QB to Davis Cheek and now looks to have been moved to a reserve DB and special teams player.

Hayden Mann (QB) - flipped to James Madison. Played safety. Transferred to Lenoir Rhyne (D2), where he was not on the depth chart.

Bailey Rogers (WR) - Transferred to South Carolina as a walk-on. Looks like he didn't see the field and is now running track.

Ambe Caldwell (WR) - flipped to Miami of OH. Moved to DB. Doesn't seem to have gotten playing time.

Cam Burnette (WR) - transferred to ECU. Limited playing time and 1 reception as a junior.

It's a bit peculiar that those appear to be the only two positions at Furman with any sort of attrition. Most of those guys would be, in my opinion, starting for us or seeing a lot of the field.

None of this factors into the multitude of reasons why a kid may decide to decommit or transfer. It does suggest that doing so, even for a more "prestigious" program, really isn't a panacea.
Good list.

PaulC was BIG on Bailey Rogers - regardless his football career if he can run track at USC he coulda made a difference for us IMO. Just let him return kickoffs and run the fly route downfield etc. Other teams would have to respect an SEC track guy.. SPEED KILLS.

Additionally, We did lose the OL - TIm Coleman - and he turned out great:
Named Second Team All-Colonial Athletic Association.
Started 23-straight games at Richmond.
Started all 11 games at left tackle
Redshirted
2016 (at Furman)
Played in and started all 11 games for the Paladins
Named Freshman All-America
High School
Helped lead Pace Academy to 12-3 record and state championship in 2015, capped by a 42-21 win over Fitzgerald
Rivals.com, Scout.com, and 247 Sports 3-Star recruit

Either way, certainly every school loses kids via decommit / grad-transfer etc. Not a huge thing.

Actually, I worry more that FCS may become a minor league system - Atkins to UNC, Jabril Cox leaves NDSU for LSU etc. I like to see kids develop. And it isn't like you can't make the NFL out of FCS - Carson Wentz, Dozier, Cooper Kupp, Jimmy G, Terrel Owens, on and on.. It isn't a big problem yet but it could become one - basketball has gone that way for many 5th year seniors.
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #32496  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:49 am
2 salient points - I do think our recruiting has improved in since CCH got here. I do. On the other hand, every school thinks every recruit is going to be great - hope springs eternal I guess.

To the point of hope (and halloween) have fun with this - HILARIOUS: Definitely worth your 3 minutes

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/south ... halloween/
 #32499  by Davemeister
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 am
Reynard Ellis transferred from FU after his Freshman season and Line-Backing for Ga. Southern. Watched him last Saturday.
gofurman liked this
 #32501  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:38 am
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 am
Reynard Ellis transferred from FU after his Freshman season and Line-Backing for Ga. Southern. Watched him last Saturday.
Davemeister, Great call - I had forgotten that. Now that you say it I remember being so excited about him and
E McKoy playing together.. that was when CCH was just starting and you could see the recruits were better. IE< vs Colgate etc in 2017. I hated seeing him leave: (he would have been a standout for us).. that said, the basic fact we are getting these guys is v impressive and is the main point. I realize we will always lose a few from time to time. As we know Woff lost two strong OL to transfer this past year including Jeresaty who won the award for best OL in the conference (one went to Illinois and one to Texas Tech) ! that is gonna hurt them over in sparkle city :D .

Reynard Ellis:
2019 - All-Sun Belt Conference Honorable Mention

2019-20: Played in and started all 13 games, seeing action on 748 total plays (708 defensive) … An honorable mention All-Sun Belt Conference selection …Led the team with 86 tackles, including 10.5 for loss and 2.0 sacks … Also had two fumble recoveries, a blocked field goal and three pass break ups … Got the start in the opener at No. 6 LSU, playing 63 defensive snaps … Had seven total tackles against the Tigers … Tied for the team lead with seven tackles against Maine … Also had a fumble recovery … Tallied seven tackles, including 3.0 for loss and a sack, and a pass break up at Minnesota … Sliced in to block a field goal in the fourth quarter which was returned 77 yards by Monquavion Brinson for a touchdown … Had five tackles against Louisiana … Led the team with six stops, including half a tackle for loss, at South Alabama … Posted nine stops against Coastal Carolina … Had six tackles, including two for loss, against New Mexico State … Had seven tackles, including one for loss, against No. 20 Appalachian State … Had five tackles and a fumble recovery against Troy … Had eight tackles, including one for loss, and a pass breakup against ULM … Led the team with nine tackles, including a sack, at Arkansas State … Had one stop against Georgia State … Had eight tackles, including 2.0 for loss, against Liberty in the Cure Bowl.

2017-18: Played in 12 games, starting 10 as a true freshman at Furman … Totaled 92 tackles – five for loss – two sacks and an interception in 12 games, making the Southern Conference all-freshman team … Had 16 tackles, including 1.5 for loss and a sack, against Colgate … Tallied 13 tackles against Wofford and 10 against Western Carolina …Had seven or more tackles in each of the final seven games of the season.
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.