• FCS Playoffs in Spring 2021

#32287  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:09 pm
In a normal NFL season they play up to 24 games pretty much all in a row. 4 exhibition, 16 regular and 3-4 playoffs. The health issue holds no water especially since you will have a 4-5 month break between seasons. Again I will quote CCH when he said he didn’t see playing in the spring and again in the fall as an issue.
FUBeAR, wholeheartedly, concurs with Coach Hendrix in this matter...and pretty much all matters, TBH.

This “too many games in a calendar year” is a load of hooey.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #32291  by Flagman
 Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:22 pm
Just got an email from JD who says SoCon schedules including football and basketball will be out this week.
Basketball is out. Check out the new thread.
apaladin liked this
 #32296  by cavedweller2
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:17 am
I think they orta start playing a full spring football schedule and a full fall football schedule every year.
 #32297  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:01 am
Little Bird told me that the bellhops May be ducking the Paladins this spring to stay in NCAA compliance. Sure hope that bird was singing the wrong tune!!!
 #32298  by Flagman
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Little Bird told me that the bellhops May be ducking the Paladins this spring to stay in NCAA compliance. Sure hope that bird was singing the wrong tune!!!
I heard the same thing. After their great performance in the fall, they learned they aren't any good. Plus, they're skeered.
QCGlue, Paladin82, dornb liked this
 #32299  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:46 am
Flagman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
I heard the same thing. After their great performance in the fall, they learned they aren't any good. Plus, they're skeered.
So...maybe...just maybe......purely speculatin’...since the next meeting will be the 100th In the series, FU agreed to be the 1 Team the bellhops don’t play (and also means FU will only have 7 SoCon games...and Champion will be determined by winning %...like the old days), so that Traditional Rivalry game can be in the Fall...and since the next one is SUPPOSED to be in ChuckTown, maybe the bellhops agreed to move the 2021 game to GVL to compensate FU for their willingness to let the bellhops duck us this Spring...all speculation.
 #32300  by Roundball
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:46 am
Flagman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
So...maybe...just maybe......purely speculatin’...since the next meeting will be the 100th In the series, FU agreed to be the 1 Team the bellhops don’t play (and also means FU will only have 7 SoCon games...and Champion will be determined by winning %...like the old days), so that Traditional Rivalry game can be in the Fall...and since the next one is SUPPOSED to be in ChuckTown, maybe the bellhops agreed to move the 2021 game to GVL to compensate FU for their willingness to let the bellhops duck us this Spring...all speculation.
This article makes it sound like many of their players have played their last game. “For Citadel football, what was and what might have been.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 9f077.html
 #32305  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:58 pm
Re the Citadel

https://soconsports.com/news/2020/10/21 ... edule.aspx
The Citadel played four fall contests, which means it can only play seven spring games to avoid exceeding the NCAA-mandated 11-game regular-season maximum. The SoCon Council of Presidents approved a plan for the Bulldogs to compete in seven league games with one no-contest against a randomly selected league opponent. Furman was selected as that opponent in a blind draw. The no-contest is a game not played and will be considered a forfeit in the conference standings only, per NCAA policies.
So, most of what we thought is true. The Citadel can't play a full conference slate. They don't get a waiver (if one ever existed).

If I read this correctly, the Citadel plays seven SoCon teams. They will not play Furman. Furman will win by forfeit.
 #32310  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:12 pm
Someone humor me here...

Just for kicks, say FU slips up and loses to Woffy. citadel beats Woffy. We all finish 7-1 and there is a three way tie for first. Who gets the tie-breaker? Is there any scenario possible that would allow citadel to win the SoCon and get the autobid without playing a full complement of games? If they don't play a full conference slate they should be ineligible for the SoCon championship - forfeit or not!
 #32311  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:22 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:12 pm
Someone humor me here...

Just for kicks, say FU slips up and loses to Woffy. citadel beats Woffy. We all finish 7-1 and there is a three way tie for first. Who gets the tie-breaker? Is there any scenario possible that would allow citadel to win the SoCon and get the autobid without playing a full complement of games? If they don't play a full conference slate they should be ineligible for the SoCon championship - forfeit or not!

I think a forfeit is a forfeit. Furman will get counted as having beaten the Citadel.

So, the game will be effectively played on paper. To get the auto, the Citadel will have to overcome that loss.
 #32313  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:58 pm
Re the Citadel

https://soconsports.com/news/2020/10/21 ... edule.aspx
The Citadel played four fall contests, which means it can only play seven spring games to avoid exceeding the NCAA-mandated 11-game regular-season maximum. The SoCon Council of Presidents approved a plan for the Bulldogs to compete in seven league games with one no-contest against a randomly selected league opponent. Furman was selected as that opponent in a blind draw. The no-contest is a game not played and will be considered a forfeit in the conference standings only, per NCAA policies.
So, most of what we thought is true. The Citadel can't play a full conference slate. They don't get a waiver (if one ever existed).

If I read this correctly, the Citadel plays seven SoCon teams. They will not play Furman. Furman will win by forfeit.
Furman better win by forfeit... I don't want to see us lose a conf title 6-1 for us to a team that goes 7-1... I hope someone can confirm we get a W for the Citadel game ??
 #32376  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:24 pm
Confirmed. It will not count in any won-loss records for either team. It will count in the SoCon standings only.
 #32384  by MidlandsPaladin
 Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 am
apaladin wrote:
Confirmed. It will not count in any won-loss records for either team. It will count in the SoCon standings only.
So we are 0-0 overall, and 1-0 in SoCon?

Or are we 0-0 overall, and 0-0* in the SoCon?
 #32385  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:18 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 am
apaladin wrote:
A. So we are 0-0 overall, and 1-0 in SoCon?

B. Or are we 0-0 overall, and 0-0* in the SoCon?

C. Or... 1-0 overall, 1-0 SoCon

D. Or... 0-0 overall, 1-0* SoCon
Choice D...prolly