• Spring Football Schedule

#32358  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:27 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:21 am
There is no way the NCAA punishes The Citadel for doing what was approved, playing up to 4 games. The waiver will be approved.

Again, based on what, exactly?

It's easy to say "waiver," but you have to have a reason for it. What is their reason for a waiver?

What if they had played 11 games? 7? Would the NCAA approve a waiver for another 8 games in the spring? Were they somehow duped into thinking that the SoCon wouldn't play a conference schedule - a contingency that apparently everyone else in the conference anticipated but the Citadel?

Is the NCAA going to start handing out waivers to schools that want to play more than their allotted games so they can add more revenue? Just because?
Just because the rule is pointless in this instance. It is temporarily obsolete. It seems like the purpose of the rule is to allow at least a little time for school during fall semester. Or maybe it is intended to limit wear and tear on the body. With a 4 game schedule the hops have plenty of time to finish their coloring books, and that whole wear and tear thing has been thrown out the window. Maybe it was intended to support the fall playoff schedule that didn’t happen. “11” is just an arbitrary number at this point so give them a waiver. I want to go to that game.

And we better hope more teams start making greedy decisions based on $$$ or we won’t have anybody to play pretty soon.
 #32359  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:15 am
From a reliably ‘in the know’ source...

“ BTW...According to the SoCon office The Citadel’s NCAA appeal for a schedule waiver was denied awhile back, so the statement in their release that it was “in process” is false. My guess is it’s window dressing to make them look better...”
 #32360  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 am
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:
There is no way the NCAA punishes The Citadel for doing what was approved, playing up to 4 games. The waiver will be approved.

It's easy to say "waiver," but you have to have a reason for it. What is their reason for a waiver?

What if they had played 11 games? 7? Would the NCAA approve a waiver for another 8 games in the spring? Were they somehow duped into thinking that the SoCon wouldn't play a conference schedule - a contingency that apparently everyone else in the conference anticipated but the Citadel?

Is the NCAA going to start handing out waivers to schools that want to play more than their allotted games so they can add more revenue? Just because?
Just because the rule is pointless in this instance. It is temporarily obsolete. It seems like the purpose of the rule is to allow at least a little time for school during fall semester. Or maybe it is intended to limit wear and tear on the body. With a 4 game schedule the hops have plenty of time to finish their coloring books, and that whole wear and tear thing has been thrown out the window. Maybe it was intended to support the fall playoff schedule that didn’t happen. “11” is just an arbitrary number at this point so give them a waiver. I want to go to that game.

And we better hope more teams start making greedy decisions based on $$$ or we won’t have anybody to play pretty soon.
How is it pointless?

Your argument appears to be that you feel the 11 game figure is arbitrary, despite the fact that every FCS program in the country is operating under the same rules.

At bottom, the Citadel is arguing for an exception to the rule based on nothing more than they feel they deserve one. That's ludicrous.
 #32361  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:55 am
FUBeAR wrote:

“ BTW...According to the SoCon office The Citadel’s NCAA appeal for a schedule waiver was denied awhile back, so the statement in their release that it was “in process” is false. My guess is it’s window dressing to make them look better...”
Hope they enjoyed that embarrassing home loss to Eastern Kentucky.
 #32362  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:55 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Hope they enjoyed that embarrassing home loss to Eastern Kentucky.
...and paid $100k to get their a$$e$ blistered. They could have gotten that same treatment somewhere around Remount Street in North Charleston for $20.
Davemeister liked this
 #32363  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:45 am
A couple of thoughts >

Concerning Furman's difficulty playing OOC games - CCH has said it over and over - a lot of teams don't want to play Furman especially in Paladin Stadium. That's frustrating and I feel Furman is doing its best - we have upcoming home and homes with W&M, NCAT, and Tenn St.

Now > back to 2021

with back to back season in 2021… I think I'm right but please jump in and correct me.
Players can play in the spring and fall 2021 season and keep that year's playing status.

From what I understand players like Kendall Thomas and Evan DiMaggio can play all of 2021 as a freshman.
Let me add on > Devin Wynn who never took a redshirt can elect to play both seasons of 2021 football.
If so this is really good news for Furman's 2021 outlook.

The Dins have a top-two FCS class of young men - if they can contribute - let'em play the coaches don't have to worry about saving a year. Also, The 2019 and 2020 class are getting a lot of time to absorb the program.

Lots of wins.
 #32364  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:57 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:45 am
A couple of thoughts >

Concerning Furman's difficulty playing OOC games - CCH has said it over and over - a lot of teams don't want to play Furman especially in Paladin Stadium. That's frustrating and I feel Furman is doing its best - we have upcoming home and homes with W&M, NCAT, and Tenn St.

Now > back to 2021

with back to back season in 2021… I think I'm right but please jump in and correct me.
Players can play in the spring and fall 2021 season and keep that year's playing status.

From what I understand players like Kendall Thomas and Evan DiMaggio can play all of 2021 as a freshman.
Let me add on > Devin Wynn who never took a redshirt can elect to play both seasons of 2021 football.
If so this is really good news for Furman's 2021 outlook.

The Dins have a top-two FCS class of young men - if they can contribute - let'em play the coaches don't have to worry about saving a year. Also, The 2019 and 2020 class are getting a lot of time to absorb the program.

Lots of wins.
As FUBeAR understands things....

For all NCAA Fall Football Athletes...

Essentially, this year didn’t happen, from an eligibility perspective. Players can play (or not play) in 11 or 12 (FBS) games + Playoffs / Bowls without any loss of eligibility. So, at the beginning of Fall 2021, whatever their eligibility available status was at the beginning of 2020, that’s what it remains.

Also - I saw that the NCAA has waived total 85 & 63 scholarship limits for the 2021-2022 season. So, I guess it’s unlimited, but I believe the ‘can only bring in X number’ (20 or 25, I think) is still in place to keep Pittsburgh, for example, from signing 100 Players (as they did the year they signed Tony Dorsett). So waiving this doesn’t ‘punish’ (as much) HS Sr’s. IF schools want to spend the bucks, they can bring in a ‘full signing class,’ in 2021 and then figure out how to manage back to schollie limits before the 2022 year begins.
 #32365  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 am
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:

How is it pointless?

Your argument appears to be that you feel the 11 game figure is arbitrary, despite the fact that every FCS program in the country is operating under the same rules.

At bottom, the Citadel is arguing for an exception to the rule based on nothing more than they feel they deserve one. That's ludicrous.
OK, what is the point of the rule? Explain how it isn’t arbitrary? Where does the eleven number come from? And if we are so awesome, why be so excited that we don’t have to face the Citadel? We should be chomping at the bit to play them! You can’t be talking about winning championships and at the same time express relief that you dodged to bellhops for goodness sakes!
If you suck, you worry about Citadel. If not, you want to play them.

It isn’t a matter of deserving a waiver. It’s more a matter of what reason is there for not giving them one? What harm would be done?
 #32366  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 am
I could care less about the Citadel's belief they would get a waiver for an obvious decision to move forward and play four games knowing the rules.

Now… another spring question - wonder if we will see Furman play a "spring game scrimmage" in person?
I doubt it - but that would be a great gift for us fans.
 #32367  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am
Mentioned that I like the off week prior to Wofford. Also, With the new staff down there I probably wish Mercer was earlier in the schedule but hey, you got to play 'em all. I do very much respect Mercer's new HC - he is scary but it is good for SoCon as a whole. We get to see Mercer v Army this weekend I think.. Mercer has three games this spring -I think that is a smart move by them to get their system working. Interesting - just saw they are not playing all-conference Robert Riddle? They are playing Harrison Frost at QB. I always thought very highly of RIddle.. Maybe FUBeAR could educate us on Mercer so far. Looks they gave a good JSU team all they wanted but fumbled SIX times. Any word on using Harrison Frost over RIddle?
 #32370  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mentioned that I like the off week prior to Wofford. Also, With the new staff down there I probably wish Mercer was earlier in the schedule but hey, you got to play 'em all. I do very much respect Mercer's new HC - he is scary but it is good for SoCon as a whole. We get to see Mercer v Army this weekend I think.. Mercer has three games this spring -I think that is a smart move by them to get their system working. Interesting - just saw they are not playing all-conference Robert Riddle? They are playing Harrison Frost at QB. I always thought very highly of RIddle.. Maybe FUBeAR could educate us on Mercer so far. Looks they gave a good JSU team all they wanted but fumbled SIX times. Any word on using Harrison Frost over RIddle?
Riddle is still mending from 2019 injury. Will not play this Fall. Expected back 100% healed in Spring.

Personally, I would like to see what (true) FR, Carter Peavy, could do @ QB for the Bears. I’ve seen what Frost can do & he is serviceable, stable, steady - has had some shining moments, but not much of a run threat. I suspect he’s going to be a great Coach some day. They also have Dylan Fromm (Jake Fromm’s younger bro) & he was a gritty winner in HS. Might be effective in this O - a bit altitude-challenged...but there doesn’t seem to be a rush to get him on the field...so I don’t know. Riddle is an ACE when healthy, Frost can do an adequate job & really unsure after that.
 #32371  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:20 pm
gofurman wrote:

I think Riddle is still recovering from injury.
FUBeAR liked this
 #32372  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:21 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 am
I could care less about the Citadel's belief they would get a waiver for an obvious decision to move forward and play four games knowing the rules.

Now… another spring question - wonder if we will see Furman play a "spring game scrimmage" in person?
I doubt it - but that would be a great gift for us fans.
My understanding is that this fall, we are essentially having a spring practice. In the spring, we will essentially have a season.

So, the spring scrimmage may well come at the end of fall practice.