• Spring Football Schedule

#32337  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm
From someone OUTSIDE of the Furman Football Program, but VERY well informed...when asked if we start the season 1-0...

“When a team demonstrates selfish behavior that leads to the deletion of a sanctioned conference game from their schedule and every other conference member's too, just to play(and lose) 4 exhibition games then they deserve what they get....a lifetime of Bellhoppery. We only count sanctioned games played on the field of battle. So no we are 0-0.”
This correct as the forfeit will only count in the SoCon standings as the league stated. So if Furman goes 7-0 that would be their record but in the SoCon standings they would be 8-0 because of the forfeit. Like you said why punish FU because of something Citadel did? If FU and another team finish with one loss they would be tied and FU would not be a half game behind. If FU doesn’t win all their games then never mind.
 #32338  by Flagman
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:40 pm
It would be great for the football program if we could schedule a home game against one of the top tier FCS teams, like N. Dakota State or James Madison. Pay up to get a game that might be nationally televised. Otherwise, playing weak SoCon teams in the winter is not going to create any excitement.
I doubt we have enough money to get NDSU out of their dome. Our ability to schedule an 8th game will be affected by the other conferences’ OOC possibilities.
 #32340  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 pm
Flagman wrote:
Roundball wrote:
It would be great for the football program if we could schedule a home game against one of the top tier FCS teams, like N. Dakota State or James Madison. Pay up to get a game that might be nationally televised. Otherwise, playing weak SoCon teams in the winter is not going to create any excitement.
I doubt we have enough money to get NDSU out of their dome. Our ability to schedule an 8th game will be affected by the other conferences’ OOC possibilities.
Correct. NDSU has only played something like one ooc FCS road game in the last 20 years. If you are going to play them you will have to go to their place. Much like Duke in basketball who never plays a true road ooc game.
 #32342  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm
From someone OUTSIDE of the Furman Football Program, but VERY well informed...when asked if we start the season 1-0...

“When a team demonstrates selfish behavior that leads to the deletion of a sanctioned conference game from their schedule and every other conference member's too, just to play(and lose) 4 exhibition games then they deserve what they get....a lifetime of Bellhoppery. We only count sanctioned games played on the field of battle. So no we are 0-0.”
This correct as the forfeit will only count in the SoCon standings as the league stated. So if Furman goes 7-0 that would be their record but in the SoCon standings they would be 8-0 because of the forfeit. Like you said why punish FU because of something Citadel did? If FU and another team finish with one loss they would be tied and FU would not be a half game behind. If FU doesn’t win all their games then never mind.
yes - my previous source was wrong...

Upon further review...Furman does start the Spring season 1-0 in the SoCon, but the game does not count in any NCAA, SoCon, FU, ot CIT records.

So, now, as the Gods of Football would (and will...hopefully) have it, the 100th meeting of these ancient SoCon rivals will be in the Fall of 2021 in Greenville. #61-36-3.
 #32343  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:17 pm
Not sure if it’s a blessing or curse. Seems it puts Furman at a disadvantage to go on the search for another opponent. Perhaps it’s just been bad luck but Furman has struggled filling holes in the schedule, so I’m not thrilled The Citadel’s actions have cause Furman to be short a game. Seems like this will be more difficult than usual to find an OOC opponent since the Spring looks to be reserved for conference play. With Furman short a game and forced to fill that void I sure would appreciate the 1-0 start to SoCon play as compensation for drawing the short straw.
 #32345  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Not sure if it’s a blessing or curse. Seems it puts Furman at a disadvantage to go on the search for another opponent. Perhaps it’s just been bad luck but Furman has struggled filling holes in the schedule, so I’m not thrilled The Citadel’s actions have cause Furman to be short a game. Seems like this will be more difficult than usual to find an OOC opponent since the Spring looks to be reserved for conference play. With Furman short a game and forced to fill that void I sure would appreciate the 1-0 start to SoCon play as compensation for drawing the short straw.
Keep the open week before Wofford. Nice advantage. . If you wanna add a game do it in week two where We are working to improve basics
mathprofhiker liked this
 #32346  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 pm
Flagman wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Correct. NDSU has only played something like one ooc FCS road game in the last 20 years. If you are going to play them you will have to go to their place. Much like Duke in basketball who never plays a true road ooc game.
Duke participates in the ACC / BIG Challenge sending them to Michigan or Indiana etc every other year. Regardless I would say the Duke strategy works well w 5 National Titles having been played in a 64 team not-at-home March madness tourney. All games on road. . NDSU on the Other hand gets to play the playoffs or “tourney” AT HOME. that is a huge difference. Duke’s postseason games are not at Cameron. NDSU plays the entire dang postseason at home until the finale
 #32347  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:31 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
CAA can schedule 2 OOC games in the Spring...Elon @ FU would be a good easy-travel matchup...and a win over the the Forrmerly Fightin’ Former Christians would be a boost for At-Large Playoff berth consideration if FU happened to slip up and lose a SoCon game.

[Note: I don’t think a SoCon Team has a snowball-in-hades chance of getting an At-Large berth this Spring...even if FU got the Tiggers to come up HWY123 and FU beat them 73-7..ain’t no SoCon Team getting an At-Large bid.]
 #32348  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:10 am
FUBeAR wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
CAA can schedule 2 OOC games in the Spring...Elon @ FU would be a good easy-travel matchup...and a win over the the Forrmerly Fightin’ Former Christians would be a boost for At-Large Playoff berth consideration if FU happened to slip up and lose a SoCon game.

[Note: I don’t think a SoCon Team has a snowball-in-hades chance of getting an At-Large berth this Spring...even if FU got the Tiggers to come up HWY123 and FU beat them 73-7..ain’t no SoCon Team getting an At-Large bid.]

I imagine the Big South schools have some flexibility. There are a few in close proximity to Furman. I believe Campbell has already announced it will sit out the fall, so they're already down at least one team.
 #32350  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:10 am
FUBeAR wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:

I imagine the Big South schools have some flexibility. There are a few in close proximity to Furman. I believe Campbell has already announced it will sit out the fall, so they're already down at least one team.
True...but more “Rep Points” from beating a CAA Team than a Big South Team...with the possible exception of Kennesaw
 #32352  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:51 am
The whining, crying, finger-pointing, conspiracy-theorizing, inflated-(bird)chest-thumping, and law suit-threatening has begun on the bellhops’ message board.

#32354  by Roundball
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:21 am
There is no way the NCAA punishes The Citadel for doing what was approved, playing up to 4 games. The waiver will be approved.
 #32355  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:23 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:51 am
The whining, crying, finger-pointing, conspiracy-theorizing, inflated-(bird)chest-thumping, and law suit-threatening has begun on the bellhops’ message board.
They appear utterly flummoxed at a result that seemed entirely likely. We had been discussing that contingency on here for a month or more.
 #32356  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:27 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:21 am
There is no way the NCAA punishes The Citadel for doing what was approved, playing up to 4 games. The waiver will be approved.

Again, based on what, exactly?

It's easy to say "waiver," but you have to have a reason for it. What is their reason for a waiver?

What if they had played 11 games? 7? Would the NCAA approve a waiver for another 8 games in the spring? Were they somehow duped into thinking that the SoCon wouldn't play a conference schedule - a contingency that apparently everyone else in the conference anticipated but the Citadel?

Is the NCAA going to start handing out waivers to schools that want to play more than their allotted games so they can add more revenue? Just because?
FUBeAR liked this
 #32357  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:51 am

Hard to read too much into such an odd schedule (which notes it is subject to change), but I wouldn't have an issue with this if it were this fall's conference schedule.

Obviously, we won't play what would have been our toughest road game (the Citadel).

It looks like there will be two off weeks - one of which, I suppose, would have been the hypothetical Citadel game. I don't mind the early off week after the first game, where a lot of adjustments are made. I also don't mind having an off week before Wofford.

I don't believe there's any magic to when you take an off week - we've played great out of off weeks and terribly out of off weeks.

The likely two toughest teams we will play will be in Greenville (UTC and Wofford), so that's good. Mercer has a new staff, but we'll see them later in the year, so we will have a pretty good idea by then what they'll try to throw at us.

I've never been to Lexington, VA in March, but google tells me the average lows are in the low 30s that time of year. We don't typically play in "cold" weather, but have in the past a few times (Boone in 2005, Montana State 2006 come to mind)