• FCS Playoffs in Spring 2021

#32242  by Furmanoid
 Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:15 am
VMI and WCU are in problematic states so it might be hard for them to know whether they can play or not. Citadel has already had a season. FU and Wofford might be worried about getting kicked out of the snooty, elitist college club if they play. But the fact that Duke and Vandy are playing may sway them.
 #32244  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:49 am
Bear I'll play with you…

The Citadel has played in four fall contests - you would think they're a yes - but I keep reading rumblings that due to attrition of players opting out of playing in the fall - playing in the spring isn't certain. Still, I see the Dogs playing in the spring.

Mercer- easy they're a yes.

Furman - with the AD and HC both saying we want to play ball in the spring, I'm putting Furman in the yes column.

WCU/Chattanooga - based on a comment that CCH made on the lunch/learn zoom - Clay inferred a team that voted against league play in the fall - is now playing a game in the fall. A few Moc fans have made some odd predictions on AGS threads about Chatty not being in the SoCon after 2021??? I'm thinking this is frustration - but there could be something there. I'm going to put WCU in the yes column.

That puts us at four yeahs!

My concerns — Wofford and ETSU are practicing for playing in the spring. BUT - Wofford was very quiet at the start of all this and if I remember correctly was dragging feet to get started bringing players in - pretty far behind Furman. I don't trust Wofford. ETSU is another team that has been pretty quiet - you can find some news about practicing. With ETSU still in the re-birth phase, I wonder if the school ADMINs want to play in the spring.

Samford - I think Samford will play. Samford's players have been outspoken about wanting to play. Not sure about the in-school politics at Samford.

VMI - I actually think VMI will be a yes. With the CAA in to play in the Spring, I just can't see VMI not playing with Richmond, W&M, and JMU playing ball.

SO — I think the SoCon will hit the eligibility threshold of five:
The Citadel
Mercer
Furman
Samford
WCU or VMI

After watched the Citadel play all four games - I feel very confident that Furman is the favorite for a title. I think that adds another reason Furman wants to play in the spring. I also think you have to pencil in Chatty as a number two - I think the MOC HC will lobby to play.

Of all schools IMO the shakiest are the Terriers. Wofford was going to have a down year in 2021 and their worst nightmare was facing Furman right out of the gate. Still - I don't think Wofford will do themselves any favors not playing in the spring. It will put them at a recruiting disadvantage.

Why Don't we have a schedule yet? As much as I think we have a core 5-6 teams wanting to play - something or someone is still messing things up. Could be scheduling, who knows, but something or someone is keeping this from being a slam-dunk.

Sorry for the ramble - can ya tell I'm bored????
 #32255  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:38 am
AstroDin wrote:
Bear I'll play with you…

The Citadel has played in four fall contests - you would think they're a yes - but I keep reading rumblings that due to attrition of players opting out of playing in the fall - playing in the spring isn't certain. Still, I see the Dogs playing in the spring.

Furman - with the AD and HC both saying we want to play ball in the spring, I'm putting Furman in the yes column.

WCU/Chattanooga - based on a comment that CCH made on the lunch/learn zoom - Clay inferred a team that voted against league play in the fall - is now playing a game in the fall. A few Moc fans have made some odd predictions on AGS threads about Chatty not being in the SoCon after 2021??? I'm thinking this is frustration - but there could be something there. I'm going to put WCU in the yes column.

My concerns — Wofford and ETSU are practicing for playing in the spring. BUT - Wofford was very quiet at the start of all this and if I remember correctly was dragging feet to get started bringing players in - pretty far behind Furman. I don't trust Wofford. ETSU is another team that has been pretty quiet - you can find some news about practicing. With ETSU still in the re-birth phase, I wonder if the school ADMINs want to play in the spring.

Samford - I think Samford will play. Samford's players have been outspoken about wanting to play. Not sure about the in-school politics at Samford.

VMI - I actually think VMI will be a yes. With the CAA in to play in the Spring, I just can't see VMI not playing with Richmond, W&M, and JMU playing ball.

The Citadel
Mercer
Furman
Samford
WCU or VMI

After watched the Citadel play all four games - I feel very confident that Furman is the favorite for a title. I think that adds another reason Furman wants to play in the spring. I also think you have to pencil in Chatty as a number two - I think the MOC HC will lobby to play.

Of all schools IMO the shakiest are the Terriers. Wofford was going to have a down year in 2021 and their worst nightmare was facing Furman right out of the gate. Still - I don't think Wofford will do themselves any favors not playing in the spring. It will put them at a recruiting disadvantage.

Why Don't we have a schedule yet? As much as I think we have a core 5-6 teams wanting to play - something or someone is still messing things up. Could be scheduling, who knows, but something or someone is keeping this from being a slam-dunk.

1 question and a statement:

1) So 5 teams is the threshold? Is that for sure? In discussing the Big South in years past I thought 6 teams was the minimum to have an auto-bid? Also, CAN Citadel play having played 4 games in the fall?

2) Statement - I DID feel good about Citadel (that they were not too good) until they played Army. Army is a good (top 30 type) FBS team that I admire. Army escaped 14-9 and both teams had the same amount of yards - roughly 225. That is a very very strong showing, especially on D. Army isn't 'great' but they are top 30: Here is what Army has done - Beat MTSU in a whooping 42-0... Beat ULM 37-7.. Lost to top 15 Cincinnati 24-10.. Beat ACU 55-23.. Neat Citadel 14-9.. Beat UTSA 28-16. I don't know if something changed for Citadel or if Army was missing someone or if that was an outlier but it stands that Army is 4-0 at home and Citadel was the only team to push them at home. Army is ranked ahead of South Carolina, UT, Arkansas, etc. Anyway, just one game but it was their latest and by far the best.
 #32257  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:38 am
AstroDin wrote:
Bear I'll play with you…

The Citadel
Mercer
Furman
Samford
WCU or VMI

1 question and a statement:

1) So 5 teams is the threshold? Is that for sure? In discussing the Big South in years past I thought 6 teams was the minimum to have an auto-bid? Also, CAN Citadel play having played 4 games in the fall?

2) Statement - I DID feel good about Citadel (that they were not too good) until they played Army. Army is a good (top 30 type) FBS team that I admire. Army escaped 14-9 and both teams had the same amount of yards - roughly 225. That is a very very strong showing, especially on D. Army isn't 'great' but they are top 30: Here is what Army has done - Beat MTSU in a whooping 42-0... Beat ULM 37-7.. Lost to top 15 Cincinnati 24-10.. Beat ACU 55-23.. Neat Citadel 14-9.. Beat UTSA 28-16. I don't know if something changed for Citadel or if Army was missing someone or if that was an outlier but it stands that Army is 4-0 at home and Citadel was the only team to push them at home. Army is ranked ahead of South Carolina, UT, Arkansas, etc. Anyway, just one game but it was their latest and by far the best.
50% or more participating in a Division for NCAA to sponsor Championship...so, I think we are extrapolating that to say that 50% or more of a Conference must be participating to retain their auto-bid. Not sure NCAA has said that...
 #32258  by DeepPurple
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:26 am
My understanding is that the Citadel will have to get a waiver to play? If all conference teams play? (playing 12 games? I can't imagine the NCAA not giving them one?
 #32259  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:26 am
My understanding is that the Citadel will have to get a waiver to play? If all conference teams play? (playing 12 games? I can't imagine the NCAA not giving them one?
I have no idea if that is true. We've discussed that idea here, but we probably want to avoid speaking it into existence.

Even if true, why is it assumed that the Citadel would get a waiver? No one was twisting their arm to make a schedule this fall. They did what no other SoCon team opted to do - play four games.
DeepPurple liked this
 #32260  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:07 am
Towson out.

This bit is interesting:
We surveyed the guys, more than 75% of the team did not want to trade a full season next year for a six-game season this spring. After listening to the players, I could not come up with a good reason on why we should do this."
 #32262  by DeepPurple
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am
I agree on the waiver deal. They made the choice on $$. Not fair to all the other rule following schools in SC. They should not receive a waiver.
 #32264  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:00 pm
They don’t necessarily need a waiver to play in the Spring. They need a waiver to play 8 games (vs. 7). They may not need to play 8 games to compete for the Spring SoCon Football Championship (if there is one).

I think we’re all trying to oversimplify this & use common sense. We need to remember the NCAA is involved, so common sense has absolutely no standing in the decision process.
DeepPurple, gman84, apaladin liked this
 #32266  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:00 pm
They don’t necessarily need a waiver to play in the Spring. They need a waiver to play 8 games (vs. 7). They may not need to play 8 games to compete for the Spring SoCon Football Championship (if there is one).

I think we’re all trying to oversimplify this & use common sense. We need to remember the NCAA is involved, so common sense has absolutely no standing in the decision process.
That's a very good point FUBeAR. If that is the deal - waiver required to play 8 games, No waiver needed to play in spring - then The Citadel is fine if some teams don't participate. And I assume that is the deal as FUBeAR keeps up a lot :D
 #32267  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:57 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Towson out.

This bit is interesting:
We surveyed the guys, more than 75% of the team did not want to trade a full season next year for a six-game season this spring. After listening to the players, I could not come up with a good reason on why we should do this."
That quote makes no sense. I haven’t heard anyone say if you play in the spring you won’t/can’t play in the fall. If this is true and the rest of the CAA plays in the spring and doesn’t play in the fall(not happening) who would they play? CCH said in his lunch and learn that he didn’t see any problem playing in the spring and again in the fall.
 #32270  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Towson out.

This bit is interesting:
That quote makes no sense. I haven’t heard anyone say if you play in the spring you won’t/can’t play in the fall. If this is true and the rest of the CAA plays in the spring and doesn’t play in the fall(not happening) who would they play? CCH said in his lunch and learn that he didn’t see any problem playing in the spring and again in the fall.
Yep - I just posted similarly on AGS...

This is some interesting ‘linguistic gymnastics’ also...

”We surveyed the guys, more than 75% of the team did not want to trade a full season next year for a six-game season this spring. After listening to the players, I could not come up with a good reason on why we should do this."

”Trade a full season?” - there will not be a single team playing this Spring (if any Teams play) that is even thinking about “trading” out their Fall 2021 Season (if there is a Fall 2021 season) to play this Spring. And with the NCAA’s “You get a redshirt and you get a redshirt! Everybody gets a redshirt!!” policy, there is no “trade” of eligibility. So, if they presented it to their Players as ‘one season or the other,’ I’m surprised they didn’t get HIGHER than 75% wanting to play next Fall (only).

Now, if they are alluding to the “Trade” meaning...”You might get hurt during a game in the Spring and have to miss the Fall season.” OK. But you also might get hurt in Spring Practice or in a Lab Accident or a Lightning strike...right?

And, why are they saying 6 games in the Spring? The CAA plan allows them to play 2 OOC games, in addition to the 6 CAA games. So, it’s 8 games vs. 11 games...if you ‘buy’ the tradeoff positioning. If I hadn’t played a Football Game since 11/23/19, I know I’d sure rather start playing 8 games in Feb of 2021 than going almost 2 years without playing against an opponent...just to wait for the chance to, maybe, play 3 more games...8 months later.

Just odd, the way they have positioned this. CovidWorld = BizarroWorld
 #32279  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am
I appreciate the help in understanding / dialogue here. Unfortunately, while what we say makes sense it is left up to the SoCon and NCAA. Still, I appreciate the insights - Thanks!.

Hope we have a spring season and win a SoCon title!
 #32280  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:36 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Towson out.

This bit is interesting:
Yep - I just posted similarly on AGS...

This is some interesting ‘linguistic gymnastics’ also...

”We surveyed the guys, more than 75% of the team did not want to trade a full season next year for a six-game season this spring. After listening to the players, I could not come up with a good reason on why we should do this."

”Trade a full season?” - there will not be a single team playing this Spring (if any Teams play) that is even thinking about “trading” out their Fall 2021 Season (if there is a Fall 2021 season) to play this Spring. And with the NCAA’s “You get a redshirt and you get a redshirt! Everybody gets a redshirt!!” policy, there is no “trade” of eligibility. So, if they presented it to their Players as ‘one season or the other,’ I’m surprised they didn’t get HIGHER than 75% wanting to play next Fall (only).

Now, if they are alluding to the “Trade” meaning...”You might get hurt during a game in the Spring and have to miss the Fall season.” OK. But you also might get hurt in Spring Practice or in a Lab Accident or a Lightning strike...right?

And, why are they saying 6 games in the Spring? The CAA plan allows them to play 2 OOC games, in addition to the 6 CAA games. So, it’s 8 games vs. 11 games...if you ‘buy’ the tradeoff positioning. If I hadn’t played a Football Game since 11/23/19, I know I’d sure rather start playing 8 games in Feb of 2021 than going almost 2 years without playing against an opponent...just to wait for the chance to, maybe, play 3 more games...8 months later.

Just odd, the way they have positioned this. CovidWorld = BizarroWorld

I have no idea what Towson's thought process here is, but the press release is couched as having concern for long term player health.

I read this to say that they have concerns over playing 6-8 games in the spring and then turning around and playing 11+ games in the fall of the same calendar year. While fans may not have an issue with that, I can see arguments against playing 17-20 football games during 2021.

This is my read, which may be incorrect:

1. Towson has said that if they play this spring, they will likely reduce their fall season. The more games in the spring, the fewer games in the fall.

2. The players are not penalized for the peculiar 2020 season. If they want to stay around and play, they can.

3. Players have decided that they would rather play a normal fall season than a modified spring/fall. The 75% number may well be most of the non-seniors. The seniors (of course) are really the only group most adversely impacted by any decision.

Globally, you are starting to see the virus spike again. If this "second wave" is anything like the first, you'll see the U.S. follow a few weeks behind Europe. We still have not seen what happens when COVID 19 coincides with colder weather.

It may just be the simplest answer - Towson is avoiding all the mental gymnastics of trying to schedule a football season and has just decided they'll see us again next year.
 #32282  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:09 pm
In a normal NFL season they play up to 24 games pretty much all in a row. 4 exhibition, 16 regular and 3-4 playoffs. The health issue holds no water especially since you will have a 4-5 month break between seasons. Again I will quite CCH when he said he didn’t see playing in the spring and again in the fall as an issue.