• Financial Commitments

#32212  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:32 pm
FUKA61 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Article in today's AJC said that freshman enrollment at universities was down 16%. I think Furman's current enrollment is just over 2,300. The pandemic has created a huge financial challenge for Furman and other schools
Furman could have had 100 more paying students if they had not cut baseball and lacrosse. How much did that cost the school.
 #32213  by Paul C
 Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:29 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:42 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:16 pm
Where do you rank making Bob Richey the highest paid basketball coach in the SoCon and his staff, the highest paid staff, in the heirarchy of "commitments to athletics"?
If you ask the general fan or person on the street, the cutting of the baseball program ranks way (way! 8-) ) above the pay of the basketball staff in terms of commitment. That is fact...Not saying it was wrong or right but perception IS reality. And I know people who don't pay much attention to FU athletics but know I am a fan who mentioned the baseball thing to me.. they have no idea how much we pay coaches but they know we cut baseball. In a PR sense that hurt a LOT. Probably necessary but it hurt.

My hope is that maybe we can reinstate the baseball program but if not that we are a top-flight FCS football and D1 basketball program going forward.. That will ease the pain a lot
The general fan or the person on the street never supported Furman baseball. Their opinion means nothing. However, if anyone says the cutting of baseball ranks above the pay of the basketball staff in terms of commitment, they have no clue about college athletic budgets.
Spot on.
AstroDin liked this
 #32215  by FU3
 Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 am
“The general fan or the person on the street never supported Furman baseball. Their opinion means nothing. However, if anyone says the cutting of baseball ranks above the pay of the basketball staff in terms of commitment, they have no clue about college athletic budgets.”

The ability of Furman to make commitments in pay of the basketball staff is almost totally dependent on the support of donors.Anyone who doesn’t understand this doesn’t have a clue about Furman’s athletic budget.
 #32239  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 am
Paul C wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:29 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:42 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:16 pm
Where do you rank making Bob Richey the highest paid basketball coach in the SoCon and his staff, the highest paid staff, in the heirarchy of "commitments to athletics"?
If you ask the general fan or person on the street, the cutting of the baseball program ranks way (way! 8-) ) above the pay of the basketball staff in terms of commitment. That is fact...Not saying it was wrong or right but perception IS reality. And I know people who don't pay much attention to FU athletics but know I am a fan who mentioned the baseball thing to me.. they have no idea how much we pay coaches but they know we cut baseball. In a PR sense that hurt a LOT. Probably necessary but it hurt.

My hope is that maybe we can reinstate the baseball program but if not that we are a top-flight FCS football and D1 basketball program going forward.. That will ease the pain a lot
The general fan or the person on the street never supported Furman baseball. Their opinion means nothing. 3). However, if anyone says the cutting of baseball ranks above the pay of the basketball staff in terms of commitment, they have no clue about college athletic budgets.
Spot on.
Unfortunately you all are wrong in some regard here. The THIRD sentence from Roundball is “spot on”. 100%. Agreed. The first two are absolutely NOT spot on. Many of these people who spoke w me have gone to baseball games. . Esp at Flour Field. I know that they have.

You should NEVER say NEVER. You have already lost your point when you say “never” or “always.” That said, I fully agree w sentence number 3 and should have articulated my point better also.

Carry on.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.