• 2 SoCon Teams in ACTION this Saturday!!

#32142  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:06 pm
Bears get a turnover & a TD pass on 3rd & 14 to open 2nd half

Cocks still up 27-21

Then Bears get stop & are DRIVING in DRIVING rain. Devezin is MASHING these cocks
 #32143  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:41 pm
Bears have ball on Cocks 42 with 5:56 to play & a chance to drive, score, and take the lead...
 #32144  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:48 pm
Argggghhhh - awful series by Bears...end result, pass complete to FR TE on 3rd & 8...was going to be a couple of yards short of 1st down, but loses ball - ruled a fumble - and Cocks take it back for TD.

Very questionable if he was down before fumble, but, apparently, not even reviewed.

WTF - turnover & scoring play not reviewed????

Cocks now lead 34-21 with 4:48 to play.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #32146  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:05 pm
Bears hold Cocks on 4th down, score on a mostly aerial drive vs. very soft coverage...will onside kick with 0:51 to play..down by 6 34-28.

Gamecocks recover “surprise middle” onside kick & kneel it out...

Oh well... not too much to be embarrassed about for Mercer Bears... need to get A LOT more from QB position (no RIDDLE to what we’ll see there in the Spring) & clean up Punt Snaps/Punter catches

Bears upset bid falls short...go down to Cocks 34-28
 #32147  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:37 pm
Did not get a chance to watch much of the game, but went through the box score.

Mercer had a strong defensive day. JSU is a good offensive football team with an impressive QB.

Offensively, I was surprised at some of the looks from Mercer in the limited amount I caught. As I suspected they might, it appears they did everything they could to get the ball to their best player - Devezin. He had close to 40% of Mercer's touches on offense.
 #32148  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:21 am
The Jackal wrote:

Mercer had a strong defensive day. JSU is a good offensive football team with an impressive QB.

Offensively, I was surprised at some of the looks from Mercer in the limited amount I caught. As I suspected they might, it appears they did everything they could to get the ball to their best player - Devezin. He had close to 40% of Mercer's touches on offense.
Yep - he’s a big-a$$ Clydesdale that the Bears love to ride...

gotta say, though, Deondre Johnson is 1 Special walk-on...slippery & sneaky fast with really good vision & instincts

And...the Bears have recruited a whole stable of ‘baby’ big-a$$ Clydesdales...Fred Davis (5-11/210), Al Wooten (6-0/220), and Devin Crosby (5-9/215) that all show a Devezin-like punishing running style. They, along with Johnson, et al, can take the pressure to tote the ball 30 times off of #34.

Let that ridiculously young D mature a little and get more threat/production from the QB slot, and Mercer will compete with Furman and Chatt, IMO, for the SoCon Championship this Spring.

On the QB slot, I’ve seen what Frost has / can do over the past 2 years. I’d really like to get a look at True FR Carter Peavy (6-3/210) in Mercer’s next outing. Played on a top team in a very tough Gwinnett County region of the highest level of Georgia HS Football...and was hIghly productive & VERY impressive in his vids. In that O, you need a QB who is a threat to run and can get rid of the ball quickly with velocity...and who can throw a nice deep ball. I saw Peavy do all of those things in HS. Of course, they have to be able to whirl & hand the ball off to the right one of the 9 guys that are in motion in 9 different directions on every play.
 #32149  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

gotta say, though, Deondre Johnson is 1 Special walk-on...slippery & sneaky fast with really good vision & instincts

And...the Bears have recruited a whole stable of ‘baby’ big-a$$ Clydesdales...Fred Davis (5-11/210), Al Wooten (6-0/220), and Devin Crosby (5-9/215) that all show a Devezin-like punishing running style. They, along with Johnson, et al, can take the pressure to tote the ball 30 times off of #34.

Let that ridiculously young D mature a little and get more threat/production from the QB slot, and Mercer will compete with Furman and Chatt, IMO, for the SoCon Championship this Spring.

On the QB slot, I’ve seen what Frost has / can do over the past 2 years. I’d really like to get a look at True FR Carter Peavy (6-3/210) in Mercer’s next outing. Played on a top team in a very tough Gwinnett County region of the highest level of Georgia HS Football...and was hIghly productive & VERY impressive in his vids. In that O, you need a QB who is a threat to run and can get rid of the ball quickly with velocity...and who can throw a nice deep ball. I saw Peavy do all of those things in HS. Of course, they have to be able to whirl & hand the ball off to the right one of the 9 guys that are in motion in 9 different directions on every play.

I'll have to see them in action, first. Having big physical backs can be a luxury, but there's only so many things you can do slamming the ball up the middle. Those big guys have to add some dimension. Maybe they will.

The danger of Devezin is that he's a thick physical runner with great lateral movement. He's not a one trick pony.

Some of the issue Mercer may face is what plagued Furman in 2017 when Cronic was the OC - if a defense has enough lead in their pants to control the middle of the field, you've gotta come up with something other than attacking with the big backs. Remember, Furman had two backs on that team (Wilcox and Dirks) that were bigger clydesdales than those listed above. They were not threats outside, though, where Devezin is.

The most glaring stat, to your point, is at the QB position. In that offense, completing fewer than 50% of passes on a 5.5 yard average per attempt isn't going to work. Especially when the QB offers very little threat to run.
 #32164  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I'll have to see them in action, first. Having big physical backs can be a luxury, but there's only so many things you can do slamming the ball up the middle. Those big guys have to add some dimension. Maybe they will.

The danger of Devezin is that he's a thick physical runner with great lateral movement. He's not a one trick pony.

Some of the issue Mercer may face is what plagued Furman in 2017 when Cronic was the OC - if a defense has enough lead in their pants to control the middle of the field, you've gotta come up with something other than attacking with the big backs. Remember, Furman had two backs on that team (Wilcox and Dirks) that were bigger clydesdales than those listed above. They were not threats outside, though, where Devezin is.

The most glaring stat, to your point, is at the QB position. In that offense, completing fewer than 50% of passes on a 5.5 yard average per attempt isn't going to work. Especially when the QB offers very little threat to run.
Yep - good stat ‘catch’ on the QB slot.

On the RB’s - these 3 seem to be more cut from the Devezin cloth than the Wilcox/Dirks cloths. Won’t discuss, but both had some challenges - different for each.

I think the O is designed (in large measure) for the Devezin slot to have 90%+ of those carries between or off-tackles, but with a whole host of different schemes / combinations of lead blockers (Pulling/Trapping OL, TE’s, Jokers) at the POA. The outside game comes mostly from the Jokers - a biggun & a swift one, it seems. Not concerned about diversity of Rushing attack or having enough RB’s with apt size/speed/style to execute it - just need a trigger man with a bigger, faster gun & more bullets in it.

The Bears’ D Lineup was most interesting - started...
3 True FR (NT, LB, S)
2 R-FR (DT, CB (Navy Xfer))
4 SO’s (DE, LB, S, S)
1 JR (CB)
1 GR-T (LB (who, as far as I can tell, never played a down in 3 years @ The Citadel))

Top 5 Tacklers were...
FR LB
SO LB (2 TFL’s)
FR NT (2 TFL’s, 1.5 Sacks)
SO S
FR S

Dang near put a HS All-Star Team out there on D. Their performance was the biggest surprise. Wasn’t perfect, but way, way, way more physical & aggressive than in recent years & should get better.
 #32166  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:15 pm
 #32199  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:48 pm
https://jsuchanticleer.com/2020/10/15/ ... -covid-19/

Hope he didn’t spit on any Mercer Players last week. Probably not; I don’t think he ever Coached at Marshall.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.